Author Topic: IC on NA?  (Read 8967 times)

Reply #15June 20, 2012, 08:44:46 pm

flowmastergfunk

• Junior

Re: IC on NA?
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 08:44:46 pm »
I am just going to jump on the bandwagon and confirm that there is no benefit to this. It will make me feel better about the loads of people that are going to give me a hard time for my swiss-cheese "hot air intake" airbox design :D ;) 8)

Other than the fact that hoodscoops almost always look tacky, I think there would be better gains to be had for a NA diesel using the the air pressure moving towards you for a ram air effect instead of trying to use that ram air to chill your IC. What benefits do we have? The fact that our sideways engines would allow that air pressure to go straight down each individual intake runner with little resistance. The IC would certainly add a great deal of resistance! Remember that we are suck, we don' blow. ??? It always seemed to me that airboxes like  mine (with the inlet on the side), air would get to cylinder one quicker and easier than it would to cylinder number four. If you are really looking for intake gains it seems like a reasonable place to start. Ram air intake sounds like the poor man's forced induction. Anyone feel free to correct me if my theory sounds misleading.

Reply #16June 20, 2012, 09:30:15 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 09:30:15 pm »
If this thread is a joke, then other ones like the guys who dumped sand int their intake to port their engine, the guy who welded extra fins on his turbo or the guy who cut his wheel off with a sawzall because he stripped a lug were definitely FAR more amusing.

If it is not a joke, then investigate the laws of physics regarding heat.  Heat energy ALWAYS flows from a hotter material to a colder one.  The way refrigeration works is by manipulating pressures so that a fluid is compressed so it gets hotter than the outside air and then pumped to an exterior radiator so it releases heat to the outside, then the fluid is expanded so it's temperature plummets and it is pumped to a radiator inside where it absorbs the heat in the refrigerator.  There is no such magic in an air to air intercooler.  It is simply aluminum channels.  The ABSOLUTE COLDEST that an air to air intercooler can make the air in the intake tract is to bring it to the ambient temp of the air passing through it's other pathways.  Because the air in the intake tract is already at ambient temps in an uncharged engine, there is no way that an intercooler can have any positive effect on a non-charged engine.  You are wasting your own time with it.  Unfortunately I'm also wasting my time reading about it and responding and I somewhat resent my lack of self-control.  I will exit this thread at this point because I have much better things to do with my time.

Reply #17June 20, 2012, 09:59:57 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 09:59:57 pm »
If this thread is a joke, then other ones like the guys who dumped sand int their intake to port their engine, the guy who welded extra fins on his turbo or the guy who cut his wheel off with a sawzall because he stripped a lug were definitely FAR more amusing.

If it is not a joke, then investigate the laws of physics regarding heat.  Heat energy ALWAYS flows from a hotter material to a colder one.  The way refrigeration works is by manipulating pressures so that a fluid is compressed so it gets hotter than the outside air and then pumped to an exterior radiator so it releases heat to the outside, then the fluid is expanded so it's temperature plummets and it is pumped to a radiator inside where it absorbs the heat in the refrigerator.  There is no such magic in an air to air intercooler.  It is simply aluminum channels.  The ABSOLUTE COLDEST that an air to air intercooler can make the air in the intake tract is to bring it to the ambient temp of the air passing through it's other pathways.  Because the air in the intake tract is already at ambient temps in an uncharged engine, there is no way that an intercooler can have any positive effect on a non-charged engine.  You are wasting your own time with it.  Unfortunately I'm also wasting my time reading about it and responding and I somewhat resent my lack of self-control.  I will exit this thread at this point because I have much better things to do with my time.

well put Andrew.. especially the part about the extra fins, and the sand porting. lol.  :D
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #18June 20, 2012, 10:08:05 pm

• Veteran

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 10:08:05 pm »
I think I can explain the temp readings on the youtube video.  There's a good chance that the intercooler is a restriction to the intake causing a slight pressure drop which will also cause a slight temp drop.  It would be easy to verify this by redoing the same test and partially blocking the inlet without the intercooler and see if the temp drops in relation to the restriction. 
Toyota truck 4x4 with Mtdi, M-vnt gt1749va, 11mm pump, fmic, smog .216 nozzles.  Sold!
Working on 1993 4runner mtdi, gtb1756vk, 11mm pump, smog .216 nozzles, custom 1" thick adaptor plate, pd150 intake manifold.

Reply #19June 21, 2012, 01:11:25 am

79rabbit4dr

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 01:11:25 am »
Do you feel smarter now? More like a man?
Maybe you should re-read my earlier posts. "Got an IC for free," "bored and messing around." It was something that popped into my head and I went out and did it. Not much thought involved, not trying to prove anything. Thanks for the d-bag response though.

Reply #20June 21, 2012, 01:43:13 am

Wayland

• Veteran

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 01:43:13 am »
Anybody ran an IC on a NA?

You did ask.
84 Grumman Olsen Kubvan
93 Dodge CTD Truck

Reply #21June 21, 2012, 01:43:51 am

79rabbit4dr

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 01:43:51 am »
Sorry, I've read Andrews poss for years and they used to be very thought out and helpful, I'm not sure where his last post was coming from but it belonged in a Honda civic forum somewhere.

Reply #22June 21, 2012, 10:35:58 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2012, 10:35:58 am »
I think I can explain the temp readings on the youtube video.  There's a good chance that the intercooler is a restriction to the intake causing a slight pressure drop which will also cause a slight temp drop.  It would be easy to verify this by redoing the same test and partially blocking the inlet without the intercooler and see if the temp drops in relation to the restriction. 

Excellent point.  So to extend the idea a little further, the extent that the temperature is lowered below ambient is the extent that the intercooler is a restriction, creating negative pressure and hurting performance/efficiency.

Reply #23June 21, 2012, 10:50:12 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2012, 10:50:12 am »
79rabbit, you asked about adding an intercooler to a non-charged motor, you were told why it was pointless patiently and in detail by myself and others, you persisted and so I logically assumed you were being a troll and responded appropriately.  Its unfortunate that you decided to take offense and your feelings were hurt.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 12:08:09 pm by libbydiesel »

Reply #24June 21, 2012, 02:01:08 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2012, 02:01:08 pm »
Sorry, I've read Andrews poss for years and they used to be very thought out and helpful, I'm not sure where his last post was coming from but it belonged in a Honda civic forum somewhere.

dude, THIS THREAD belongs on a civic forum somewhere!! ever think of that?

ask stupid questions, get stupid answers..

what were you expecting bro? were you expecting the intercooler to be black magic, and miraculously cool the intake air lower than ambient temps?

im sorry, but this thread was FULL of FAIL to begin with... andrew was just keeping it real. i completely understood where hes coming from.

intercoolers are for BOOSTED engines.. even the DUMBEST mechanics know that. (even non-mechanic types know that!!)

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #25June 21, 2012, 03:58:39 pm

• Veteran

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2012, 03:58:39 pm »
Well, I think there is way to hook up an intercooler to an NA in a beneficial way.  If you were to build a box around the intercooler and fill it with ice, you might cool the air down enough to counteract the extra restriction of the intercooler itself.  I bet the ice would melt pretty quick though.
Toyota truck 4x4 with Mtdi, M-vnt gt1749va, 11mm pump, fmic, smog .216 nozzles.  Sold!
Working on 1993 4runner mtdi, gtb1756vk, 11mm pump, smog .216 nozzles, custom 1" thick adaptor plate, pd150 intake manifold.

Reply #26June 21, 2012, 04:14:10 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2012, 04:14:10 pm »
Lets all take it easy and settle down some.

Most of us learnt something from this thread, therefore proving the successfulness of this forum. For some it was that ICs and NAs don't mix well, for others it was seeing that the IC did actually cool the intake air, although for what reason we aren't 100% sure (cooler ambient air or result of a restriction, or both)

/panty twisting
Tyler

Reply #27June 21, 2012, 04:40:11 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2012, 04:40:11 pm »
You can get fairly far below ambient by evaporating the right fluid off the IC...
More so at idle than high RPM, but the easiest way to increase power is to increase throttle, so...

Reply #28June 21, 2012, 04:47:21 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2012, 04:47:21 pm »
You can get fairly far below ambient by evaporating the right fluid off the IC...
More so at idle than high RPM, but the easiest way to increase power is to increase throttle, so...

water/meth injection with a cold air intake would yield more power than an intercooler, i would think..

THIS IS ASSUMING THE ENGINE IS N/A..

Reply #29June 22, 2012, 12:03:05 am

79rabbit4dr

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2012, 12:03:05 am »
Again, you are making a stupid ASSumption that I was trying to PROVE something... "bro?"

I certainly wasn't offended, just disappointed in the decline of what once was my favorite forum.

Obviously several people were curious about the same thing.

I never said it would/could cool the air any further than the coldest air it could receive, but I wondered if it could help cool the air it was sucking in from a hypothetically hot engine bay. Maybe all it is is the pressure differential but it's fun to explore and learn.

Those of us who don't know everything in the world are still learning. That's what this forum is, or at least WAS, for.

Thanks for trolling MY thread and if you aren't going to build up the group, kindly leave my thread.

Fixmyvw.com