Author Topic: IC on NA?  (Read 8969 times)

Reply #30June 22, 2012, 03:59:43 am

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
Re: IC on NA?
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2012, 03:59:43 am »
I've thought about this before. What it comes down to in my opinion is that while running the NA inlet air through an intercooler you will see some temperature decrease (a negligible amount) the added restriction (sucking liquid through an extra long straw will show you this effect) will outweigh the very slight temperature decrease.
And yes, the intake air will be the same temperature as the air cooling the intercooler but the effect i see that the youtube video posted is probably just an example of minimal heat soak vs. drawing through something that easily remains the temperature of the air. There is no way the outside temp was 68F. The intercooler dropped it only 5 degrees F. Certainly enough to just be a heat soaking scenario.
This idea vs. cooling charge air is completely different ONLY and SOLELY because the charge air is actually surprisingly hot especially coming from a hot turbo and engine and warm radiator heating EVERYTHING under the hood. You would see charge air being well over 100+F maybe even close to 200F on long boost periods.

So it's not stupid to think adding an intercooler MIGHT be beneficial because yeah i suppose it is if you are only idling the engine but under any load and if you ran any length of plumbing to the cooler ... the -'s would outweigh the +'s probably 10 fold.
Ed
Blacked out mk2 AAZ Jetta RIP. You are missed.
White 1999.5 ALH Golf 2dr. Low & wide. Rammed off the road RIP.
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Reply #31June 22, 2012, 02:33:49 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2012, 02:33:49 pm »
sorry, but when you ask stupid questions, you should expect stupid answers, even if YOU think the question you are asking is not stupid..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #32June 22, 2012, 02:41:21 pm

Wayland

• Veteran

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2012, 02:41:21 pm »
sorry, but when you ask stupid questions, you should expect stupid answers, even if YOU think the question you are asking is not stupid..

Hahaha! That's funny................................but true!
84 Grumman Olsen Kubvan
93 Dodge CTD Truck

Reply #33June 22, 2012, 02:54:14 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2012, 02:54:14 pm »

Hahaha! That's funny................................but true!

lol, believe it or not, a fairly wise person taught me that saying..

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #34June 22, 2012, 03:01:47 pm

79rabbit4dr

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2012, 03:01:47 pm »

So that makes YOU stupid and ME inexperienced. I'm ok with that.

Reply #35June 22, 2012, 04:42:57 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2012, 04:42:57 pm »
The responses are getting too far to the side of antagonistic. Ease off eachother. It is not the point to not flame as much as Vortex so we are ok, the point is to give people answers without flaming at all. We are better than them over there because of this. So for all involved try to not get too aggresive with the responses, as sometimes less is more.

My .02

I ask a ton of questions, and a ton more questions to things I already know the answer to. Why? Because collectively we should all be smarter than one of us. You get some wild answers, but sometimes you find that turd blossom that you never would have thought of, or wouldn't have thought of it until someone else sparked new directions in your mind. During this you can also find out whom it is that is completely full of SH...stuff, if you are asking a question you know the answer to that is. I always say there are no stupid questions only stupid people, not because they ask stupid questions, but because they never learn when they ask.

Reply #36June 23, 2012, 12:51:09 am

79rabbit4dr

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2012, 12:51:09 am »
I learn from doing, or watching it be done. Not from someone trying to prove their superiority online. That's why I'm still going to test vacuum at that same port with and without the IC. I'll also test the temp at the inlet of the IC compared to that port. Not because I don't believe what was said, and certainly not because I'm trying to prove something, I just want to solidify this info in my mind from my own experience.

Reply #37June 23, 2012, 04:23:20 am

VW Smokr

• Junior

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2012, 04:23:20 am »
The stock N.A. Rabbit & Dasher were pretty piss-poor at bringing cool air into that constipated little intake plenum. With the ABS & PVC plumbing readily available, it shouldn't be too hard to fab up a decent cold air intake just a little larger in diameter, that wouldn't increase the intake noise that much. That's the direction we took with our '77 Rabbit 1.5N.A. & it seemed to get a bit better mileage on road trips. Power? Dunno... hard to assess the difference between 48 and 49 hp(!), and we never had it on a dyno.

J.R.
SoCal

Reply #38June 23, 2012, 12:19:11 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2012, 12:19:11 pm »
The stock N.A. Rabbit & Dasher were pretty piss-poor at bringing cool air into that constipated little intake plenum. With the ABS & PVC plumbing readily available, it shouldn't be too hard to fab up a decent cold air intake just a little larger in diameter, that wouldn't increase the intake noise that much. That's the direction we took with our '77 Rabbit 1.5N.A. & it seemed to get a bit better mileage on road trips. Power? Dunno... hard to assess the difference between 48 and 49 hp(!), and we never had it on a dyno.

J.R.
SoCal

this is what most people do. its much easier, and doesnt add a bunch of complex piping..

i KNOW an intercooler on a n/a DOES NOT WORK RIGHT.. my buddy put an intercooler on his factory stock DIGI jetta, and it TOOK LOTS OF POWER away..

it was a QUITE BIG difference.

CHARGE AIR COOLERS are for engines that are BOOSTED (read as positive pressure)

when you apply vacuum to air, it cools the air.

so, yea, the intercooler is going to cool the air ALOT going down the road, because its going to be a HUGE restriction..
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 02:01:23 pm by R.O.R-2.0 »

Reply #39June 23, 2012, 12:49:07 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2012, 12:49:07 pm »
quit trying to put a CHARGE COOLER on something that is NOT CHARGED

Why are you telling him not to experiment and try new things? We (and he) already know that it will/may cool the air (slightly) but that it will decrease power... But maybe in his tinkering he'll discover something cool and useful. Maybe from what he figures out will give someone to an idea to put a butterfly valve in the intake to better control a VNT, or come up with a nifty idea for bypassing the IC when it's not needed on a boosted engine, or maybe he'll find nothing useful other then the satisfaction of fiddling around with his car and getting his hands greasy. Maybe he'll even find a couple of glowplug nuts that fell off behind the vacuum pump last time he changed the glowplugs!

Tyler

Reply #40June 23, 2012, 03:19:57 pm

GTiTDi

• Junior

• Personal Text
    Schnell Snail TDI performance
    • My 91 GTI --> TDI swap thread
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2012, 03:19:57 pm »
I am surprised that this is even being discussed, especially if the OP has been "reading Andrew's post's and this forum for years".

Still amusing nonetheless. Burn-your-money is right though, unconventional ideas sometimes yield unexpected results. Just not very often.
91 GTI/ AHU spec'd 1Z power, GT2052W w custom adapter (available through me, PM me for details),TDTUNING software, PP764 nozzles, Massive spearco FMIC, PD intake, Koni reds
97 B4VGLX AHU, RC3, 357's, PP'd head, Shine springs and Koni yellows

Reply #41June 23, 2012, 03:27:04 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2012, 03:27:04 pm »
I am surprised that this is even being discussed, especially if the OP has been "reading Andrew's post's and this forum for years".

Still amusing nonetheless. Burn-your-money is right though, unconventional ideas sometimes yield unexpected results. Just not very often.

lol... yup.

Reply #42June 23, 2012, 03:54:23 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2012, 03:54:23 pm »
Well, it's always handy to have extra glowplug nuts in the toolbox...
Tyler

Reply #43June 23, 2012, 04:10:42 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2012, 04:10:42 pm »
Well, it's always handy to have extra glowplug nuts in the toolbox...

on my car, those mystery missing glow plug nuts dont last more than 1-2 drives..

Reply #44June 23, 2012, 07:38:40 pm

79rabbit4dr

« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2012, 07:38:40 pm »
Well. I have more questions. What did I do wrong?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsQQ-0IYZfw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sorry for the shaky-cam.