S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: FLAT TOW HELP 89 golf mk2 whats behind the bumper cover?  (Read 4274 times)

April 05, 2012, 03:21:12 am

billybobf

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    89 golf 1.8 digi, 1.6 na in pieces in the shop
FLAT TOW HELP 89 golf mk2 whats behind the bumper cover?
« on: April 05, 2012, 03:21:12 am »
Ok, I bought an 89 mk2 golf gasser, I need to move it 60 miles.  It runs, but hasnt been run in two years. I could drive it, I might be able to borrow a trailer, But I would prefer to flat tow. I have a regular tow bar, I bolted it through the front bumper on my 78 rabbit diesel. but I dont have the car in front of me. anyone have any info, pictures would be great. like I says, car runs, I drove it forward about 1" but was blocked in by my own car with no battery. would you drive a car thats been sitting for 2 years? I have to decide BEFORE I go, I have to take my 4runner which has issues that would prevent my wife from safely driving it (I dont really want to drive it into town) or take the wifes car and have her follow me

Reply #1April 05, 2012, 12:40:14 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: FLAT TOW HELP 89 golf mk2 whats behind the bumper cover?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 12:40:14 pm »
i would drive it dude..

mk2s have plastic bumpers that make it basically impossible to bolt anything to the front of the car without disassembling ALOT of it before you even got down to anything suitable to mount a tow bar to..

i would either trailer it, or drive it..

2 years isnt even that long to sit. its got new axles. check that the trans has oil in it, engine has oil and coolant, and maybe check that the timing belt isnt half-ways snapped, and then go for it..

like i told you, i took a car that had been sitting for 13 years, and DROVE IT HOME. fixed axle, aired up tires, installed soft plug, filled coolant, installed battery, and drove away

basically, if the car runs good (89 should be digifant?) and the timing belt isnt dangerously old, then drive it home.

the initial drive home is where i get a feeling as to how much im going to trust a car..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #2April 05, 2012, 01:59:28 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 01:59:28 pm »
vs the 78 bumper... mk2 is stamped steel, almost sheet metal... so no... not a good mount in any way...

6 bolts remove bumper... 4 verticle, 2 horrizontal under/behind grill...

if you know those measurements.. and built a new piece that use the 4 verticle bolts... then you could in theory do a tow bar...

now.. for poo and giggles... rent tow dolly from uhaul.. its like 60$ a day.. just do not tell them you taking out of town.. do round trip with it.. 1 way trips cost more..

Reply #3April 05, 2012, 07:27:35 pm

billybobf

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 07:27:35 pm »
neighbor got me the trailer, now I just gotta figure out what to use for ramps, would you trust 2x4? 2x6? lol

Reply #4April 05, 2012, 07:36:28 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 07:36:28 pm »
How long do the ramps have to be?

I would make step ramps out of the 2x6 up to the height of the trailer. Safest way to use wood for this setup.

Reply #5April 05, 2012, 07:39:30 pm

billybobf

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 07:39:30 pm »
dont know Im using a lifted truck so its probably only gotta be up a foot?

Reply #6April 05, 2012, 07:40:10 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 07:40:10 pm »
Easiest and sturdiest would be what i pictured.

Reply #7April 05, 2012, 11:31:45 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 11:31:45 pm »
lifted truck lowers the back of the trailer.

I've used 2x10s*, but they break every other time because Home Depot has crap wood.
*only because the last SOB to borrow the trailer returned it without the ramps.

I have also crashed 2 mk1's  when the tow bar towed the bumpers right off em.
I'm pretty much over hte flat tow thing.

Reply #8April 05, 2012, 11:48:29 pm

billybobf

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 11:48:29 pm »
Yeah, Im going to use probably some short chunks of 2x6, like SHORT. and a hi-lift jack to lift the front end of the trailer more lowering the back more, OK so a weird question, approach angle on the 89 golf? how much of an angle can I put the trailer at and not hammer the bottom of the car? worst case I find some where to load it up like a tall curb or something.

Reply #9April 06, 2012, 10:20:59 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 10:20:59 am »
OK so a weird question, approach angle on the 89 golf?

Big or small bumpers on that one??

Reply #10April 06, 2012, 11:02:29 am

billybobf

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 11:02:29 am »
Small :(

Reply #11April 06, 2012, 01:04:15 pm

bajacalal

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 01:04:15 pm »
Small bumpers would be better in your situation I think, for loading. I also think these cars have great ground clearance for a small car. I think the expectation in the 70s-80s was that car buyers would be driving on dirt roads at least occasionally and the roads weren't as good then, there were a lot more unimproved RR crossings back then...

I don't know the actual numbers for height and angle but I use a pair of ramps, much steeper than those pictured, to work on my mk2 Golf (change the oil, etc.) I've never had a problem with clearance but my sister's mk3 Jetta won't even go up 1/4 of the ramp before it hits. If you can't get it onto whatever ramps you use, take a piece of 2x6 lumber and extend the ramp with that.

Basically I don't foresee this being a problem. Also, what kind of car trailer doesn't have ramps? Is it a utility trailer?

For 60 miles though, I would still drive it. I have rescued a lot of very questionable cars and driven them very long distances, including one old Dodge Powerwagon that was outside Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. That's a 24 hour trip to San Diego on the bus. 60 miles would be a piece of cake, a Sunday drive, the worst case scenario is you break down in your own neck of the woods, close to home... If you do go that route, bring a fire extinguisher with you.

Reply #12April 06, 2012, 02:38:32 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 02:38:32 pm »
just drive it.. its only a ~1 hour trip..

and if it runs, i bet its going to run for one hour.

like i said, make sure it has coolant, and oil (engine and trans), and that the timing belt isnt getting ready to shred its self, then bring it home..

BRING A FIRE EXTINGUISHER.

one of the last cars i brought home, was an audi 5000TD that wouldnt start if it got too cold.. it used a quart of oil every 50 miles..

i made it almost 500 miles in that pile. car wasnt registered, didnt have the right plates on it, no insurance, leaking water, full of bio-diesel...

the only issue i had, wasnt even on the trip home, it was the next day.. it was because i couldnt find another bio-d station to fill back up.. so i had to use regular D, and it SCREWED ME. cleaned the fuel system out real good, and clogged the fuel filter piss tight..

the only other issues i had, were a tire blowing out, and the negative battery cable melted off the battery terminal.. but that was no big deal, because i took the exposed end of the wire, and vice gripped it to the battery post.

anyways, i DOUBT your trip will be anything even remotely similar to that.. that trip was from the california border (southern oregon) to the washington border (northern oregon)...

so, if i can do it in that old beater audi, for 9 hours, then you should be able to do the 1 hour drive home no problem..

besides, they never have issues on THE WAY HOME, its always AFTER you get them home, that they start giving you the finger..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #13April 06, 2012, 10:53:20 pm

billybobf

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 10:53:20 pm »
home and running! trailer was easy.

OK, FACTORY ALARM? or security? why wont it start? everything seems to work but the starter and it sounds like it should work, but doesnt (like switch is working) but starts just fine using my pocket knife.

problem is, ALL the door locks have issues.  drivers door lock works, trunk and passenger doesnt work (hey whats up with the stock fuel cap, is it supposed to lock?)

Also, core support has a sticker says OBD exempt? so whats up with that? its MPI with an an air flow meter and has some idle issues (i know diesel site here)

Reply #14April 06, 2012, 11:38:12 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 11:38:12 pm »
I'd take a good long look at the key twist repeat interlock POS life endangering relay safety module.

S-PAutomotive.com