Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Gas to Diesel swap, almost there..  (Read 7013 times)

Reply #45February 19, 2012, 07:46:13 pm

Baron VonZeppelin

Re: Gas to Diesel swap, almost there..
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2012, 07:46:13 pm »
If you keep fixing this stuff so fast you're gonna run out of things to mess with later on. Sounds like its getting to be about finished.

Have you already installed the 2.5 Dpipe and big exhaust too ?

Here's me with my helmet and goggles on, prepared for duty

Reply #46February 19, 2012, 09:30:24 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2012, 09:30:24 pm »
Hey Steve! Been away a bunch for a while.  Wow, quick progress through the diesel world since the Vanagon, eh?  :)
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #47February 19, 2012, 10:43:01 pm

steevz

• Junior

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2012, 10:43:01 pm »
Hey Steve! Been away a bunch for a while.  Wow, quick progress through the diesel world since the Vanagon, eh?  :)

Yeppers! The new golf is awesome! Going to throw in my TD injectors this week and maybe you could help me get it timed "perfect'. :) Just timed by ear right now.

Have you already installed the 2.5 Dpipe and big exhaust too ?

Just the DP. OH my god is it loud once you get moving. That SCREAMING turbo is quite amazing without a cat or muffler though.. sounds crazy!

And I think I definately felt a boost in acceleration.. I don't know if the loud sound is playing tricks on my brain.. but maybe it's from the open DP and lighter body?

Reply #48February 20, 2012, 12:52:36 am

Vangruver

• Junior

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2012, 12:52:36 am »
Hey Steevs.

The downpipe looks AWESOME!

Yeah, i had that downpipe, been offered some cash for it, but truthfully I won't be getting back onto a 1.6 turbo diesel anytime at all. So i figured, i might as well offer it to someone that had parts that I needed. Really, was I about to negotiate with someone for a measly 150 for that thing? nah, i couldn't care less.

I've had people offering me 80 here, 100 there, but when I need something Steve came through and I figured why not? Offer that part which he needed and we'll both be happy.

On the plus side, i'm glad that DP worked out in your favor.

Reply #49February 20, 2012, 06:02:12 pm

steevz

• Junior

« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2012, 06:02:12 pm »
Thanks again Vangruver!

I sold my CE1 diesel cluster for $100 + shipping and have on enroute from Van Island that I got for $40 + shipping. Can't wait to get that in.. Drove the car to work today with no speedo and no tach..

The plastic end piece came off my speedometer cable when I pulled it through the firewall and I thought I fixed it, but I think I have it on too far cause it won't clip into the back of my cluster.. guess it needs replacing.

Reply #50February 20, 2012, 06:22:24 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2012, 06:22:24 pm »
Thanks again Vangruver!

I sold my CE1 diesel cluster for $100 + shipping and have on enroute from Van Island that I got for $40 + shipping. Can't wait to get that in.. Drove the car to work today with no speedo and no tach..

The plastic end piece came off my speedometer cable when I pulled it through the firewall and I thought I fixed it, but I think I have it on too far cause it won't clip into the back of my cluster.. guess it needs replacing.

if the plastic piece came off the end, then you need a new cable.. they are not supposed to come off.
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #51February 22, 2012, 08:44:16 pm

steevz

• Junior

« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2012, 08:44:16 pm »
Alright.. getting there..

Got the exhaust installed.. rattles a bit when idling cold.. hmm... going to get the brackets redone. One piece install.. PITA.. had to drop the rear axle..

I got my CE2 diesel cluster today.. in the works of wiring the W plug.. Do I run the wire from the W plug on the alt to the fusebox? There is a spot, A2/06 which is for the W plug. If I get the wire into the plug (how do you do this?) then will me tach read the signal, or is it missing other wiring from being a gasser?

Thanks

if the plastic piece came off the end, then you need a new cable.. they are not supposed to come off.

It actually works fine after makeshift repair.. they're hard to find.. damn. No one seems to stock or can get em locally.. except one place $35 w/o gear?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 10:39:19 pm by steevz »

Reply #52February 25, 2012, 09:18:34 pm

steevz

• Junior

« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2012, 09:18:34 pm »
Well, replacing my injectors finally over from my NA ones to my TD ones. #2 injector "right after running the car" was dry. The other 3 have diesel on them, also the heat shield is so FCKN stuck in the base! I don't think that injector was working properly.. thought my mileage was kinda low.. can't wait to finish swapping these out.

Edit: Well, the reason it was stuck .... there is a chip out of the heatshield seat. Allowing carbon to buildup around the heatshield.. and possibly into the injector? Guess I need to get my other heads valves replaced.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 09:36:28 pm by steevz »

S-PAutomotive.com