Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Mileage Mod or Green Technology  (Read 8530 times)

Reply #30July 03, 2011, 06:39:12 pm

wdkingery

• Veteran

Re: Mileage Mod or Green Technology
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2011, 06:39:12 pm »
I'm trying to bolt my turbo for gas mileage.

Reply #31July 03, 2011, 07:02:21 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2011, 07:02:21 pm »
I'm trying to bolt my turbo for gas mileage.

uh......bolt it on or off?
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #32July 06, 2011, 12:29:10 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2011, 12:29:10 am »
not to sure what that means.   

I found a better water bubbler.  I needed something short but that would hold about a gallon of water.  The plastic containers I have found so far have all been real thin and did not hold the plastic elbows tight.  So in my digging around I found what I think will do nicely.  A paint jug.  It has a thick screwable top, a handle that goes behind the old radiator overflow tank holder and it was almost thick enough to get a couple of threads out of the lower part of the jug.  I ended up fabricating a brass nut and an o-ring in combination with a plastic knob that allows me to have a 3/8 ths inch diameter piece of an old toilet feed tube in it.  I drilled out multiple holes along the six inch length so I would get lots of little bubbles rather than few big ones. 

I really have the pressure behind this system.  Do all VW's have this sort of blow by or is it a function of the vacuum pump pulling air from the brake booster all the time.  Maybe I don't actually have a vacuum on mine, best check that. 

So this system allows me to have an elbow at the top of the lid on both the upper and lower side of the lid.  I don't think I will get much splash or water slosh if I run it half full.  I do get the vapor though.  Have yet to drive it any with this hooked up.  Too busy doing home repairs at the moment. 

I will try to shoot some pictures and get them up on here in the next couple of days. 

Later keep in touch.

Reply #33July 06, 2011, 01:39:28 am

wdkingery

• Veteran

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2011, 01:39:28 am »
My car has ***ta pcv pressure.. So much so that the intake doesn't eat it all, and I have it vented to atmosphere right now (altho some here reckon my intake ports are clogged) so it's good to hear you have considerable crankcase pressure too. Matter of fact be careful with your bubble or you might notice your dipstick leaking oil.
I was gonna steal yer idea and do this too, but it still won't go down my intake right now, and I don't wanna start buildin crankcase pressure again (cause it appears your little bubbler is gonna cause pressure; I'm kinda waiting to see what your outcome is)
Btw your brake booster is a closed thing.. So unless it's bad (and you hear it leaking) then the vacuum pump should just hold vacuum
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 02:53:23 am by wdkingery »

Reply #34July 06, 2011, 10:48:37 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2011, 10:48:37 am »
I am going to check the dipstick for out gassing pressure there later today.  I don't have the massive flow from blow by or whatever it is that you seem to have wdk.  I can take the top off the paint can and see all the tiny bubbles at idle and racing the engine seems to keep it the same.

I think I will have my wife turn the car off when I have my head next to the booster and see if I can hear a leak.  Might also just pull the hose after it is done to see if it still has a vacuum.  I could gauge it I guess but that would cause my wife to laugh even more than she is now about all those things there on the dash.  What do you need them for she asks.

Oh I need to set myself up with a fuely account since this is about mileage don't I?

Reply #35July 06, 2011, 11:27:09 am

blackbird82

• Junior

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2011, 11:27:09 am »
Hmmm this is somehting i might rig up on mine. And it is a turbo diesel. A 1994 AAZ 1.9 TD

The big difference between mileage and turbo/no turbo debate, is the work mileage.

Straight drivin, at 100km, with a turbo to non turbo car. If the turbo is proper for the size of engine and speed rating. maybe 2 to 3 percent increase.

The big big difference, is when you work the crap outta engines.  I know from the ag sector, the VGT turbo's on the 100 HP JOhn Deere's increases work efficiency by 50 percent!!!

When you drive like me, in a heavier car versus a MK2 or MK1, at 125kmph and record steady 48mpg. thats what a turbo does for you. It makes it efficienct when you work it harder.

look at an 04 TDI.  that thing is 480 pounds heavier than my MK3!! and it gets better mileage.  It has a nice variable geometry (vane) turbo.

The biggest problem with our set rate turbo's is they perform efficienctly at one speed.  Other than that they are either too restrictive or too free-flowing.

I got a new diesel to play with. Just picked up a 92 F250 with a 7.3 non turbo IDI!!
I love the whistle......

Reply #36July 06, 2011, 12:37:28 pm

wdkingery

• Veteran

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2011, 12:37:28 pm »
If the brake booster was leaking you would hear it while the car was running.

I have an '86 idi... Cannot find a.lift kit or nothing fun for it :( its even had a turbo already installed but doesn't build boost... but that's something else.

Reply #37July 06, 2011, 10:45:16 pm

dl_sledding

• User+

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2011, 10:45:16 pm »
...Hagar drove a turbo.

Agreed.... Look at http://www.vwdieselparts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=59991, third post:

Quote from: hagar
PS : my turbo Rabbits can do 100 miles per gallon Imp or better. (ECO mode)

Reply #38July 06, 2011, 11:17:32 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2011, 11:17:32 pm »
Sorry not able to take any pictures today.  But the siding is on the house ready for paint tomorrow.  That should go quick.  Man I am getting tired of going up and down the ladders.  Stupid gables. 

Reply #39July 07, 2011, 11:08:18 am

Vanagoner

• Junior

« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2011, 11:08:18 am »
I like the general idea of humidifying the intake air, but I don't like the possibility of raising crankcase pressure.  It looks like a better idea to try to pull a vacuum in the crankcase, and humidify the intake a different way.  I have enough oil leaks as it is! 
Sage
'82  Vanagon Westy, the mighty N/A

Reply #40July 07, 2011, 04:41:10 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2011, 04:41:10 pm »
Do all VW's have this sort of blow by or is it a function of the vacuum pump pulling air from the brake booster all the time. 

I think it has more to do with the stroke but that is just a guess.

Even perfectly running VW diesels will push a lot of air out of the oil cap if you remove it. What matters is how much oil is in it.
Tyler

Reply #41July 07, 2011, 11:02:26 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2011, 11:02:26 pm »
Well, I took the VW, out for a quick run to the office.  Didn't notice much difference in the way it runs.  But don't expect to.  Seems quieter at idle and coasting but other than that not much change.  I think I will be able to see the oil build up in the water chamber so that should give me a good idea of how much I was burning.  If I get a lot of oil slick on the top of the water I may split the flow and have some come into the water tank and the rest dump into the intake like it used to.  That way I can burn it up, get the mileage and the vapor working for me. 

Still no pictures but the house is painted and all I need to do is return the scaffolding. 

Reply #42July 09, 2011, 12:01:28 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2011, 12:01:28 am »
OK it's picture time.  Go here and see/read the descriptions to understand the setup.

http://s1087.photobucket.com/albums/j475/Orcoaster/Water%20Injection%20system/

I tried a couple of things to find answers to posted questions.  First I pulled the hose off the vacuum booster and could here it refill with air so I am sure my brake booster is good and tight.  Second I pulled the hose off the other side of the vacuum diaphragm. Then I started the car.  I removed the lid of the water container and there was no bubbling going on.  If I put my thumb over the hose that goes to the crankcase two things happen.  One no more smokey air is blowing in my face and two the water just boils in the bucket.  Hook it all back up and no real change takes place.  Can you see the water surface in the picture.  It is just churning. 

So I pulled the dipstick out to see if the back pressure from the water was enough to spit oil out the dipstick.  If I park on a steep hill it does blow some out.  Not sure it does it on level ground.  Either way I didn't want to have this happen on the drive to Portland this Sunday so I looked at the construction of the rubber part.  It is sandwiched on there with two washers.  So I went to the shop and cut away a portion of a small nut and pushed the rubber stopper down along its length and slipped the nut in between the top washer and the stopper.  This in effect makes the diameter of the stopper a little fatter and so now it stays real snug in the dipstick tube.  I will still watch it carefully on the drive up and maybe have to fabricate some sort of cap that clamps it tight. 

The vapor from the water starts pretty quick, say within 3 minutes of startup.  Hoping for a cleaner engine soon.  I found oil and filters on sale today but am still 2500 miles away from a change. 

Reply #43July 11, 2011, 01:05:44 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2011, 01:05:44 am »
Trip to Portland tonight.  Filled up in Eugene and had 366 miles on the tank and filled with 7.25 gals of fuel.  49.?  MPG.  Not much difference but the oil is captured in the water now.  I would say a good teaspoon worth floating on top in the 225 miles.  Seemed to run smoother but had to push a pretty good headwind between Eugene and Salem.  Required getting out of fifth and running it up to 65-68 mph in fourth.  Still seemed to get the mileage.

Any cleaning of the coke out of the engine is probably going to take awhile.  It's not exactly a solvent I am using in the vapor.  Just water molecules. 

Questions?

Reply #44July 11, 2011, 01:08:48 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2011, 01:08:48 pm »
if your engine had coke in it, it wont come back out, ever. the crap doesnt burn..

usually coke kills a diesel.. my audi TD5 has overdosed on coke.. ~200 psi compression in all 5 cyls..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

S-PAutomotive.com