Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Mileage Mod or Green Technology  (Read 8532 times)

Reply #15June 27, 2011, 12:48:07 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: Mileage Mod or Green Technology
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 12:48:07 am »
I have noticed that one of the benefits to this water tank is that the oil stays there and doesn't move to the intake manifold.  So I don't burn it like I am supposed to.  It gives me a good idea of how much oil I was burning to get down the road.  That may cause me to lose some MPG but so be it for now.  I want to see smooth ride here and it sure sounds different once the vapor starts moving into the return hose. 

Reply #16June 29, 2011, 03:51:39 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2011, 03:51:39 pm »
Burning that oil is essentially free fuel though :P

Reply #17June 29, 2011, 04:09:10 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2011, 04:09:10 pm »
I don't think the amount of water that gets taken into the intake air is all that much.  Compare the amount of blow by volume coming out the pipe to the total amount going into any one cylinder.  One half gallon (2 L) of water lasts a long time as it never gets directly delivered to the cylinder.  It must go through a change of state from liquid to gas before it can move out of the storage bottle. 

I really am more interested in the cleaning aspects of this method than the mileage.  But a clean engine always runs more efficient than a dirty/out of tune one right? 

I also am just a tinkerer at heart I guess, if I can get 50 mpg with the set up I have can I get 55 mpg with something else that will pay me back in short order.  I do not have a turbo and probably won't get one either.  I will just run it stock and keep it simple and take longer to get there.  But I do understand the value of running a few psi boost to lean out the combustion mix and get more MPG.

the turbo causes back pressure to tho, so whoever told you that you get MORE MPG from a turbo'd engine, was blowing smoke up your @$$..

turbo makes power, not mileage.. because it takes fuel to make boost...
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #18June 29, 2011, 05:15:10 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2011, 05:15:10 pm »
I don't think the amount of water that gets taken into the intake air is all that much.  Compare the amount of blow by volume coming out the pipe to the total amount going into any one cylinder.  One half gallon (2 L) of water lasts a long time as it never gets directly delivered to the cylinder.  It must go through a change of state from liquid to gas before it can move out of the storage bottle. 

I really am more interested in the cleaning aspects of this method than the mileage.  But a clean engine always runs more efficient than a dirty/out of tune one right? 

I also am just a tinkerer at heart I guess, if I can get 50 mpg with the set up I have can I get 55 mpg with something else that will pay me back in short order.  I do not have a turbo and probably won't get one either.  I will just run it stock and keep it simple and take longer to get there.  But I do understand the value of running a few psi boost to lean out the combustion mix and get more MPG.

the turbo causes back pressure to tho, so whoever told you that you get MORE MPG from a turbo'd engine, was blowing smoke up your @$$..

99% correct, IMO, unless you drive with a light foot, and use maybe 1 or 2 psi boost to merely 'clean-up' the burn, especially if you drive up a mountain mostly...
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #19June 29, 2011, 05:21:36 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2011, 05:21:36 pm »

99% correct, IMO, unless you drive with a light foot, and use maybe 1 or 2 psi boost to merely 'clean-up' the burn, especially if you drive up a mountain mostly...

yea, that other 1% is the amount of us that own turbo cars, and only drive them with 1 or 2 psi boost with a light foot.. the rest of us owners of turbo cars, we USE OUR TURBOS TO THEIR FULLEST.. lol.. (we have dents in the floor under the throttle pedal)

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #20June 29, 2011, 07:05:05 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2011, 07:05:05 pm »
Boys, Boys, you really DRIVE your Toys.   :D  And I understand that 100%

But note my qualifiers:  Mileage Per Gallon is important to some  abet 1% according to those across the big pond.   Q2  Running a few pounds of boost, like 1-3 maybe.

Given these conditions it is possible to tune the same equipment you have installed on your car to get more mileage out of it.  But you say, WTF would I DO THAT FOR.

So noted.  But I still think one can lean it out and stretch that same fuel thus the cost of a trip would be less.  Not saying you have to do it, that I always do it or that it is going to be the number one consideration when driving.

Obviously not given that your floor boards have depressions under the go pedal.  Enjoy, drive hard, be safe.  Just don't cuss us old geezer types out to bad as you roll on by in a cloud of black smoke.  We all drive the same cars, just do it differently. 

Reply #21June 29, 2011, 07:27:36 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2011, 07:27:36 pm »
Boys, Boys, you really DRIVE your Toys.   :D  And I understand that 100%

But note my qualifiers:  Mileage Per Gallon is important to some  abet 1% according to those across the big pond.   Q2  Running a few pounds of boost, like 1-3 maybe.

Given these conditions it is possible to tune the same equipment you have installed on your car to get more mileage out of it.  But you say, WTF would I DO THAT FOR.

So noted.  But I still think one can lean it out and stretch that same fuel thus the cost of a trip would be less.  Not saying you have to do it, that I always do it or that it is going to be the number one consideration when driving.

Obviously not given that your floor boards have depressions under the go pedal.  Enjoy, drive hard, be safe.  Just don't cuss us old geezer types out to bad as you roll on by in a cloud of black smoke.  We all drive the same cars, just do it differently. 

sure, i could turn my pump down to where it only made 1 or 2 psi boost @ wot.. but it would be no fun to drive..

the mileage is not my sole reason for driving VWs.. its just a big bonus.. i love the cold glare i get when i tell them my car gets almost 50 mpg..

and uh, im going to say it again.. N/A is where the mileage is..

turbo is an intake restriction (while off boost) and an exhaust restriction (ALL THE TIME)

never in my life have i ever heard of someone adding a turbo to an engine to get better economy out of it..

Reply #22June 29, 2011, 08:20:09 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2011, 08:20:09 pm »
ok, so on paper, its do-able, but then again, so is time travel..

i have never yet, seen a TD car get better economy than a n/a car..

well, i havent seen it happen on a regular basis.. best economy ive heard of out of a TD car is 51 mpg..

ive seen n/a cars get 70+ mpg. Hagar got like 80+ mpg didnt he? he never used any sort of turbo in his smileage experiments..

Reply #23June 29, 2011, 08:42:42 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2011, 08:42:42 pm »
ok, so on paper, its do-able, but then again, so is time travel..

i have never yet, seen a TD car get better economy than a n/a car..

well, i havent seen it happen on a regular basis.. best economy ive heard of out of a TD car is 51 mpg..

ive seen n/a cars get 70+ mpg. Hagar got like 80+ mpg didnt he? he never used any sort of turbo in his smileage experiments..
The thing is, you shouldn't be talking about fuel economy on the GTD site, otherwise you'll have Jake come back and haunt you... :o

As I'm across the pond, I feel safe to comment ;D

Rumour has it that the turbo doesn't purely get it's power from exhaust pressure, but also takes heat energy out of the gas, which is why it works so much better economy wise than a supercharger
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #24June 29, 2011, 11:11:29 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2011, 11:11:29 pm »
What Andrew (Libbybapa) said is my pea brained understanding of the argument for better mileage out of a turbo enhanced VW set up.  Hagar drove a turbo.  Bunny Bondo was one was she not?  Last i read he was doing 76 mpg but I can't finish that saga as of yet.  He is one that tunes for economy eh?  You betcha.  Read my lips. 

745 said burning the blow by oil was free fuel.  I disagree, I don't walk into the local auto parts store load up on 5 qts of oil and a filter and only pay for the filter.  Does anyone?  So it is paid for in some sense of the word.  Just not out of the pump at the station.  It reduces the amount of oil you drain out of the pan at the next oil change but I kind of think keeping it at the level on the dipstick is the proper way to get mileage.  So I do end up adding some along the way. 

I filled up at the station tonight and filled up with 5.58 gals  only had 264 miles on it but the last 50 were more city driving and not the highway ones.  Still 47.3 mpg is very acceptable.  I almost have to stop bragging on the age versus mileage on this baby.  Someone is going to steal it on me.  That would be a rude thing to do. 

Gotta run down the street, a new Rabbit moved in down the street and it looks older than mine. 
Keep posting.

Reply #25July 02, 2011, 01:21:44 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2011, 01:21:44 am »
What Andrew (Libbybapa) said is my pea brained understanding of the argument for better mileage out of a turbo enhanced VW set up. 

I believe what Andrew was saying is that, if you drove the TD identical to the NA.. you'd get way better economy out of the TD. If the NA can accelerate at the rate of X and the TD can accelerate at the rate of Y (Y being faster) yet you accelerate at the rate of X in the TD, you can get better efficiency out of the TD. Therefore less fuel used for distance driven. Not only will it be using less fuel, it will be doing it THAT much more efficiently.

Kevin, you've never heard nor seen of anyone getting incredible mileage out of a TD for two reasons.. 1: When you got the power you use the power, and 2: I think anything over 45 is good enough, over 45 with fun added!? BONUS.

The reason you see so many NA's above 50? They can't help but do under the speed limit, and their acceleration is abysmal.. Effectively keeping those RPM's dead low.

Turbo's do add a huge restriction to the exhaust tract, but the amount of power they give back to the engine completely offsets this restriction. They take wasted energy out of the exhaust, wasted energy that came from where you ask? Le pumpe de le Diesel.

Its easy to see how a TD could +1 an n/a on mileage.

Reply #26July 02, 2011, 02:43:01 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2011, 02:43:01 pm »
ok, on paper it all works out, the TD may get better mileage..

but how many of us actually use less throttle than an n/a diesel? that tiny 1% of people..

how many of us use our boost because its there? well, thats where the other 99% of us fall..

thats why most TD cars dont get better mileage..

im not saying that its not possible, im just saying that people driving the TD cars use the boost, so in turn, use ALOT more fuel than an n/a..

Reply #27July 02, 2011, 02:51:50 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2011, 02:51:50 pm »
I'd actually say atleast %50 of diesel drivers drive for pleasure, the other for mileage.. Who honestly buys a diese for performance? We're different as we know diesels can perform.. Most don't though

Reply #28July 03, 2011, 12:10:25 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2011, 12:10:25 am »
I think 100% of us drive for pleasure.  The 50/50 thing is between speed and mileage.  Or maybe Gees and Mileage. 

Going to have to either quit working on the house earlier or stay up later working on the VW.  Not sure if I will get to the two stage water bubbler this weekend or not.  Working off a ladder with a long crow bar today was about all my arms could handle.  Ran out of energy at 6 PM and called it a night.

Reply #29July 03, 2011, 12:20:55 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2011, 12:20:55 am »
I dunno if the people commuting for thousands of miles a week like driving at all.. they probably want to veer in to oncoming traffic at least 3 times a day. ;)

Fixmyvw.com