Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Mechanical TDI Caddy on the road..little problems....  (Read 28277 times)

Reply #45February 19, 2006, 07:38:29 pm

zyewdall

• Veteran

Mechanical TDI Caddy on the road..little problems....
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2006, 07:38:29 pm »
Quote from: "therabbittree"
man I'd hope I could get at least 3 k -- guys are selling td idi caddys on ebay 3-5k...

Nice looking caddy!  You found a non-rusted body for it, or did you do alot of body repair?  Looks to be in great shape from the one outside picture.

Yeah, I saw a nice example of a 1.6TD caddy go for almost $5k locally this summer.  And the old TDI jettas are at least $8k, and around $6 or 7k for beetles.  Since the caddy is a desired body style, it might fetch more, although it is also an old body compared to the comforts of a new TDI.
'84 Mitsubishi 4x4 2.3L turbo biodiesel pickup
'91 VW Rabbit GTI with 1.6 biodiesel transplant
'81 Toyota longbed 2wd 2.2NA biodiesel pickup (for sale)
'89 Subaru 4x4 touring wagon
 '82 subaru 4x4 TDI wagon -- project on hold
1976 Ford Sasquatch pickup

Reply #46February 19, 2006, 08:22:52 pm

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2006, 08:22:52 pm »
thanks it needs paint need to do it in teh summer..it has acrustyt rear wheel lip and had a fwew little rust holes  but no  crazy rot the windshield area is nice and the strut towers are clean this truck came from colorado...basicaly surface rust...i will post more pics as soon as i get it one th eroad..hopefully next week..teh exhuast i welded today was made from the exhaust i cut off of my dads 2002 cummins dodge ha..so its big ...at least from the cab back 3" 21/2 before that...thanks
later
Deo

Reply #47February 20, 2006, 04:07:15 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2006, 04:07:15 pm »
looks familar... how'd the pump swap/pulley work ?

Is that the MKIV pulley? Looks like it. I thought you had gotten the AAZ unit.
1979 Rabbit mTDI crazy $*(\%& bunny...
1972 VW Westfalia
2009 VW Tiguan SE 2.0T (Wife's car)
2001 Audi TT 225 Quattro Roadster (something newer :) )

Reply #48February 21, 2006, 01:42:03 pm

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2006, 01:42:03 pm »
well i spent the $ on machining teh mk4 hump pulley but used the aaz one i ordered because it allowed access to the two front  / pulley side pump hold down bolts..i still had to file away a lot of metal to get access to it..i ended up drilling teh pump itself to use th emk4 stle lock pin and then i drilled the a1 stel metal pump braket too to slide the mk4 pump lock pin through and into the inject pump etc...other wise it would be almost impossble to set the intial timing and tighten th epump down..the pulley adjsutment may work some how ..but you may end up doing what i did.... also i set my timing a 1.05mm...i'm putting it on the road tonight ..so i hope to get some more feedback. I may be off a nothc on the throttle shaft as it has th eidel screw all the way  out and th efull fuel screw out alot i mean alot and it still idles about 1000 -1100 rpm..i have to figure out whicth way to move th enothc on the shaft .then i may be able to actually turn the fuel fuel screw in to get some extra fuel..as it is now it runs really well egts about 1200 max so far 20 psi or so and soem black smoke..but ti think it should be making much more boost and more smoke and have more fuel screw adjsutment so i think i have to fiddle with the throttle shaft index more..any ideas..
LAter
Deo

Reply #49February 21, 2006, 03:26:42 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2006, 03:26:42 pm »
Deo,

Why did you go through all of that trouble to use the locking pin? From what I remember when we were talking about the 4bt pumps before yours has the pump locking pin built into the pump which is nice because it elminates the need to use the VW style pump sprocket locking pin. This is what I am doing. No need to modify. Another beauty of the 4bt pump.
Its easy to use. the "shim" for the locking pin comes out when "locking" the pump shaft and then is reinserted when you are not timing it.

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #50February 23, 2006, 04:21:22 pm

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2006, 04:21:22 pm »
havce you locked your pump with the cummins pin yet?...i haven't messed with it but from the thbe cummins pump i have apart it doesn't look like it is a positive tdc lock..ie it just screws against the drum andacts a set screw kinda to stop it from turning where you set it..i will look into mine more....thats why..man i may have to swap my harmonic balanecer on mine or some thing it vibrates alot..and its a earplug only ride pretty much...any ideas on which diresction i need to shift my throttle shaft and its splines to work better...and tonight im swapping my therstat and the fan switchc AGAIN argh now its too hot runs..210-215 f water and 240 f oil temp..sucks..also the damn front blicnkers onlyy work with eth headlights out when they are on it cancels out and just teh running light are on..argh argh..
later
Deo

Reply #51February 23, 2006, 06:30:30 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2006, 06:30:30 pm »
According to my complete 4bt shop manual (thinkin about getting a 4BT to swap into an older jeep or Bronco) the pump pin will lock the shaft into position and is used for holding this position in a Cyl 1 TDC alignment procedure. Pump timing can be then check and adjusted from there. It'd serve the same purpose as the pump locking pin externally. Done stuff now that you have already modified it and I'd def. get a harmonic balancer on there :) I'm using mine and wouldn't run it without. Part of your vibration I'm going to almost gurantee is magnified by that homemade "filled" poly mount your using? or is that blake? I ran around in a friends car with a poly mount and couldn't stand it. Brand new the vibration was horrible and vibrated the $&*# out of things. I'd loose my teeth on the way to work with that setup...

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #52February 23, 2006, 11:26:35 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2006, 11:26:35 pm »
yea,the lock pin gets it close,,gotta still set with indicator,,,yea,,deo,ditchthat balancer,,it weighs a ton,,,imjust runnin a single v groove pulley,like less than a pound,,,mine doesnt vibrate too bad,,my 1.6 td was worse,,and as far as engine rock,,theres none,iprobably could raise the idle a little too,,,,yea joe,myleft side trans mount is filled with epoxy+microbaloons, solid,pretty much,,,and the lower half of the right side mount is filled too,remember,when the engine is in the car that filled part has the weight off it,,,,i like it,rear mount is a hd unit,,and the front is poly,,,,try the epoxy in an extra trans mount,,ya dont like it,,swap it out!!!,,id do it allagain,just like the setup i got,,,,maybe put something not so dramatic in the topof the rite side,,,,deo that old poly rear mount  you tried ina car was wayyyyy worse than ive ever seen,that thing was nasty stay away from rear poly,,,it made a gasser feel like wayworse thana paint shaker,actually the tdi is smoother than the old 1.6,,although,,there is some new vibes in the car,,rattles etc,,not bad,,just gotta find them and insulate,,,,like outside of the car?????the vibes have made some of the inner hood bracing to come unglued,,its all dried out anyways,,79 rabbit hot texas car hoodthe vibes i think are less than a 1/6,but like more bassy sounding,,maybe the extra .4 litre???,,but it doesnt really bother me,,i wouldnt wanna drive it cross country,,but icould if i had too,,and lord knows ill be goin from ny to cleveland a few times,like 480 miles eachway,,,depends on how hardcore ya are,,im goin all the way,where you goin?????????,,,deo i ran a 2.5 in. pipe back,it ends before rear beam,,,,,,,,,yoyo,,attention attention,,ijust got a new camera,,gimme a few days,,ill get some pics goin yall
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #53February 23, 2006, 11:44:35 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2006, 11:44:35 pm »
bust out the wiring diagram!240 f oil temp???man i only seen like 95-100c so far,but i bet  on a hot day it would see 115-120c,seen 120 once after an hour or so of constant beating,remember rabbitation???,,,,,sorry c  temp but imusing  a stock gti guage for my oil temp,,,coolant temp never barely gets to 190,,just a few tick under it(i think im still using the 180 fail safe stat,highly recomended),and a can of water wetter,if it helps, i filled it thru upper rad hose,,ya know supposed  air pocket etc,,,,,,,,,,who knows,but sofar so good,,,,,,,,im the biggest dummy in the world,,,i think i bumped the glow switch when i got out at work today,killed my battery,,,,,or else idrove it to work today like that,,i dunno,,but guess what,,igot home and checked them quickw/a test light,,,,,CHECKED OK!!???,,wow,,,thats wierd,,,im gonna pull them for safety anyways,,do they have a thermal limiter in them??thats all i can thinkof to save them like that,cause i got a brand new big ol optima in there,,idont know how i dodged that bullet,,,,,,i know the volt guage driving home didnt even hit 13 volts,i just jumped it,,,,,,,and i bet that lil 55 amp alt was workin overtime!!,its on the charger overnite,,im takin her car to work,,, ,i hooked up a idiot(me) light to that glow switch so that wont happen again :o well they seem to work the volt guage drops when i hit em :D ,,i feel like such a silly :roll:
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #54February 25, 2006, 02:36:20 am

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2006, 02:36:20 am »
tookout theglow plugs tonite,,they looked ok,,,took the hood off too,,been cleanin+painting the underhood,,,it was nasty+rusty,,,,,grind away witha wire wheel+por 15'ed it,,hopefully itll be dry enough tomorrow,igot the por 15 tie- primer,but instead of brushing it,,,i think im gonna shoot it on there after the por 15 is dry,igot one of those husky "detail guns",,ipainted  the lower part of the grille ona a2 single round conversion to match bodycolor,,it came out nice,,a little gun is better than a spray can,,,hopefully i canjust live with the tie coat,it does seem to have a little gloss,,oil and hand prints suck onprimer,,,,,,yea,,how doyou get greasy handprints off primer?,,heehee ,,igotta get some pics rolling :cry: soon soon,,,maybe tomorrow?
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #55February 25, 2006, 10:06:08 am

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2006, 10:06:08 am »
that'd be nice...:)

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #56February 26, 2006, 09:02:43 pm

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2006, 09:02:43 pm »
well my computer has been crazy i lost a hard drive then insatlled town new ones then reinstalled windowes , had a virus , reformated then reinstalled and back up now..argh..so no news from me in a few days ..as for the rabbit pickup..i swaped the thermostat out and tryanother one its way to cold too..so i tryed all my new and used ones in a pot of water on teh stove..4 of the 5 opened at 190 f and one opened at 150 f..i put the 150 in a tit never gets hot and no heat argh like 1100 to 150 then it opens then back down to 100 degrees water temp even driving for 30 miles or so argh..im gonna get a new fail saif 180 i guess i figured i had a180 some where in my garage ha took like 10 water pumps apart and found 5 ...ha...i will try teh pin for teh timing the only resona i tdidn't uset he cummins pin was the disasembled cummins 4bt pump i have on my bench has no drum recess to have the pin hold the pump at a location..ie it looks like th epin just pushes on th edrum..but it could ion any postion if you tryed to lock it ..ie it my my be at tdi wahne the pin gos in..but heck may be that pump was messed up?...my truck as all rubber engine mounts no poly...the passenger / t belt side mount is upside down ...don't ask i messed up..and all th eexhaust has rubber vw hangers all the way back and a stainless flex mseh between th edown pipe and th eexhaust ..but itrs soo much vibration and noise it sucks th ereview mirror is vibrating so much that you can't see out it..ha..i hope its just a sound deading and no muffler issue..its annoying and definately aearplug ride.. i want to recheck th etiming with the lock pin to see if its off..it can't be too far off other wise it would be broken already.. so its proabbly eithe rtoo advanced or too retarded if it does have a timing issue..the boost still only goes to about 20psi..im not sure wahts up there..i will check fro boost leaks and other stuff..the inj pump throttle shaft wasn't off a tooth either as i tryed th eother setiings and it didn't work..the fuel screw is in a few turns more but still not much smoke..and it idles high ie 1000 plus rpm..so im not real happy with it yet..argh..
later
Deo
ps i got the mack home today and my yard is cleaned up so at least somethings are going ok...

Reply #57February 27, 2006, 08:02:09 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2006, 08:02:09 pm »
dude,mine doesnt smoke either,,maybe a little if i flatfoot it from noboost,,ill see a lilhaze,,ill chalk it up to the  superior direct injection combustion properties,,,and my afc is fully sacked out,pin set for max fuel,,,,,,,,yo,,seen that crazy 14mm pump head???i  dont have the "sack" to try that one woooh,,,,,,,,thas  salada fuel,heehee yea my rearview vibrates too,,,not bad enough to not see stuff,,but i see 4 bouncy lights on cars behind me instead of 2,,hah,,its enough to see traffic behind me,,but i wouldnt be able tolike read their plate or anytrhing,,i guess im used to some of the vibes,from the jetta td,,,,,,,,,,,,ya a failsafe at autozone was 12$,,,yea my dad told me ya got the "confuser" working,,,,,,,,,,,,,hey anyone else,re: total seal rings,,ive found my invoice,,so maybe if you call them w/ my invoice#,they may can "remember" what they did,,i did see that  the bore lube was 17$,and the ring lube was 10,,and they cut the 5 sets of rings,and it was 115 totalshipped,,imme if ya want my invoice#,,maybe they can hook ya up!!!,,i got some pics,,gotta installsoftware,and get them out 2 u guys!!!!
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #58February 27, 2006, 08:55:36 pm

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2006, 08:55:36 pm »
ha yeah thats like mine vibes enough to see double ha..yeah i hope its justteh  lack of any muffler..and the pickup cab is small and vibrates enouth with no insulationand no headliner or anythink...argh..man my pump is maxed out setting wise and same thing no smoke unless i load it up a little from dead stop or i lug it and even then its just a lttle..ha..not like the 1.6 TD remember fogging the lanes loading it up ie holding the brakes on as we cruised 35 mph ha..man....so i gues s if we want to make LOTs of power we need to up the pump head and or get the injectors edm 'ed..the cummins guys use the 14mm head on teh rotary pump 6bs..one guy has over 600hp froma rotary pump 6bt... oh yeah i'm buying a another cummins a'96 clubcab 5spd 4x4...gotta sell the passat wagon to pay for it....then i can throw my cummins goodies at it...sohould be nice 5"exhaust brake and my twins and pump mods...gotta get a dual disk clutch and another trans main shaft then...
later
Deo

Reply #59February 28, 2006, 07:13:20 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2006, 07:13:20 pm »
yo,,go into "general" i posted our "smoke tale"there,,,i think its under somethin like tell us your dieselstories,like at gas station"sir thats diesel fuel" yea iknow thas what iwant,,,,,uhoh am i gettin used to the power?????i may have to turn it upmore,,jus a little worried,,my idle screw doesnt have much left,so if ido,,i may run out of "idle",,,,,,,or should i move the throttle lever 1 spline,,,one of the pump guys said he will help me one day after work toshim up that intermediate spring,,i got a couple of other pumps torn down,,looks like if i stealthe other washers fromthe other gov.s  icanuse those for shims,,,ya know the funky pump throttle lever with the 10mmscrew on top ?? cani loosen that 10mmscrew on top,,and get it  to lower idle more,,,mines in the middle of the slot,,,,,,looks feasible,,anyone know if this is ok????
Throttle cables ftw

Fixmyvw.com