Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Bosch Reman, Made in India, rubbish?  (Read 4629 times)

February 10, 2011, 06:32:09 am

wil892

• Junior

Bosch Reman, Made in India, rubbish?
« on: February 10, 2011, 06:32:09 am »
Hi

Just been reading the horror stories of the Made in India Bosch Injectors. I recently purchased two Genuine VW exchange injectors, dual stage for AAZ engine. There is no reference to VW on the injectors and they say made in india on them and are stamped with bosch
The injectors are however packaged in the VW packaging and have all the correct part numbers on.
Should I be worried these are going to be rubbish? I have a local shop that can test injectors but how easy is it to test AAZ injectors, due to the dual stage?
I was going to buy two more from VW but now I know they are made in india I may have to source others.

Any opinions on the AAZ Bosch India injectors?

Thanks
Will

1991 Golf MK2 GTD

Reply #1February 10, 2011, 06:51:48 am

wil892

• Junior

Re: Bosch Reman, Made in India, rubbish?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 06:51:48 am »
Also on a side note. I just remembered I bought new bosch injectors two years ago when I replaced the cylinder head on my GTD. I dont know what the timing was before that but ever since I have had to time the pump at around 1.25mm. The car makes good power but misses a bit when freezing cold and is noisy, also a little too much smoke. The injectors were made in india!!
1991 Golf MK2 GTD

Reply #2February 10, 2011, 01:08:34 pm

Quantum TD

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 01:08:34 pm »
Well, I think the quality of the nozzles is not the question, it's the quality of the rebuild injectors.

I bought a set for a 1.6NA for a customer. The 4 injectors were mis-matched (didn't look the same). When I installed them, 2 of them leaked, and a third pinged like a ***. I ended up completely rebuilding a set (myself) and swapping them out.  I took the remanned injectors, cleaned them up, retorqued them and have been running them in my truck ever since.

I will say, that the break pressures were all spot-on for the India rebuilt injectors. However one must have had some crap stuck in it, because after I cleaned them and retorqued them to 60 ftlbs, there was no more pinging (and no more leaking).

Bottom line: the nozzles are probably fine, but get ready for some leaking.

Reply #3February 10, 2011, 01:55:02 pm

wil892

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 01:55:02 pm »
Thanks for the replies. libbybapa that is the advance on my 1.6 GTD at the moment. The engine is code SB and has standard pump and 2 year old bosch made in india remans. My plan is to put a new bosch aaz pump with new aaz injectors. The current advance of 1.25mm makes the car run fine and sounds like a normal 1.6td, but I would like to have the dual stage injectorsa and a new pump so I know exactly where I am starting from. Compression is really good on the car.
Quantum, I think I will just get another two injectors from VW and then get them all tested at my diesel shop, if they all fire properly I guess I'm good to go.

Will
1991 Golf MK2 GTD

Reply #4February 10, 2011, 03:24:08 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 03:24:08 pm »
hes gonna put an AAZ pump AND injectors in his 1.6TD..

thats fairly well matched isnt it? (the pump and inj's?)
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #5February 10, 2011, 03:43:49 pm

dennis

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 03:43:49 pm »
Same goes for me as far as India re-mans leaking. These are 1.6 TD
1980 Caddy TD (Always in progress)
1983 Volvo 245 D24 NA Building D24T
1980 Air-cooled Westy
1956 F100 (What to do???))

Reply #6February 10, 2011, 06:13:15 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 06:13:15 pm »
Hi

Just been reading the horror stories of the Made in India Bosch Injectors. I recently purchased two Genuine VW exchange injectors, dual stage for AAZ engine. There is no reference to VW on the injectors and they say made in india on them and are stamped with bosch
The injectors are however packaged in the VW packaging and have all the correct part numbers on.
Should I be worried these are going to be rubbish? I have a local shop that can test injectors but how easy is it to test AAZ injectors, due to the dual stage?
I was going to buy two more from VW but now I know they are made in india I may have to source others.

Any opinions on the AAZ Bosch India injectors?

Thanks
Will

Will.
 So if I have it right, you wish to put the AAZ stuff into your GTD, but haven't yet.
For some reason you have bought 2 new injectors, and it looks like they are from India.
Did your setup not include 4 AAZ injectors? The nozzles in them are 308's IIRC.
I see of no reason why duel spring injectors cannot be fairly accurately tested at home. Steady rise in pressure in the pop tester will give you the initial presquirt pressure. A firmer slightly faster longer stroke will give you the main opening spray pattern, or at least it does with my tester.
So your current setup means timing is at 1.25mm; I can only think that your injectors are set to 170+ bar.

Are you in the UK?

Mark
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #7February 10, 2011, 07:56:11 pm

wil892

• Junior

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 07:56:11 pm »
sorry for the confusion. Basically at the moment I have a stock GTD setup, with standard SB pump and standard SB 155 bar injectors. Since I bought these GTD 155bar injectors the has had to be timed at 1.25mm to have it running correctly. Though I am still not happy with how it runs (injectors never leaked but there is more smoke when cold which is whitish if revved).

I bought a new bosch AAZ pump and bought 2 AAZ injectors because that was all they had in stock (am currently looking for 2 more AAZ injectors). I was going to swap over all the AAZ stuff to the 1.6 so it should all work properly and I would have a slightly quieter car while having a new injector pump which can then be setup for more performance (already installed GTD pin into AAZ pump).
Then I started reading stories about the India injectors and wondered if that is the reason the current fuel setup (stock GTD) is not running correctly when setup as per the book. However even the new AAZ injectors I have are India ones so I will need to get the 2 I have now checked and obviously the two others I have to get will be checked as well.

I'm in the UK btw yes.
1991 Golf MK2 GTD

Reply #8February 11, 2011, 05:06:13 am

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 05:06:13 am »
What happened to the injectors you took out?
Were they bad, or were you simply changing them as you thought the car would run just that bit better, and making it part of a conscientious service?  If you still have them you could drop them back in and see how it affects your timing. Do you already know what the timing was before?

I take it you have a dial gauge. Do you have a 0 to 100 psi gauge you could use to check pump internal pressure?  Perhaps the psi is a little low causing a shift in the operating region.

There may be an issue of the AAZ setup fuel lines bent to accomodate a taller block.
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #9February 11, 2011, 07:42:59 am

smutts

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    ClackClackClackClackClack
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 07:42:59 am »
X2 on checking the internal pump pressure, draw up some graph paper, plot points at 38psi @ 1000 rpm , 90psi @ 4000 rpm, draw a line through these two points, that slope is your standard pump pressures at engine rpms for the SB. If you do go tapping the precision adjuster with a hammer, IT IS VERY sensitive. Have fun. Once the pressures right, the pump will probably be happier at 0.9mm or 0.95mm timing. Blue injector nozzles if you dont.