S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Thezorn's AAZ rebuild.  (Read 37142 times)

Reply #15December 04, 2010, 03:41:37 pm

Thezorn

• Veteran

Re: Thezorn's AAZ rebuild.
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2010, 03:41:37 pm »
Forgot to add the clutch, I knew it was slipping

Everything is going to need a good cleaning.
Compounded 93 AAZ

Reply #16December 04, 2010, 06:18:17 pm

madmedix

• Junior

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2010, 06:18:17 pm »
In Canada you can get a five pack of triple-squares @ Princess Auto for $9. Harbour Freight in the US? You've gone through so much to get the motor out...might as well make sure it's all perfect while it's apart. Just thinking of the dreaded flange seal problem. So easy to deal with in the state you have it now. A reason to drink if you try to do it when it's all together....
'90 TD Jetta

Reply #17December 05, 2010, 03:26:39 pm

Thezorn

• Veteran

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2010, 03:26:39 pm »
In Canada you can get a five pack of triple-squares @ Princess Auto for $9. Harbour Freight in the US? You've gone through so much to get the motor out...might as well make sure it's all perfect while it's apart. Just thinking of the dreaded flange seal problem. So easy to deal with in the state you have it now. A reason to drink if you try to do it when it's all together....

Yea I am going to for sure. The funny thing is  I was talking to my friends dad last night when we were putting a pellet stove in there shop, and it turns out he had a late 80's rabbit and had the same problem. Luckily when he had to do it the local snap-on dealer lived beside him and he picked one up for like 30 bucks, even back in that day they were exspensive. Anyways we searched around there shop and found the 8mm triple square bit that I needed.

So problem solved.

Im going to try and get the block apart today and ready for the machine shop on tuesday, but the -10 degree weather outside isnt very tempting to work in.
Compounded 93 AAZ

Reply #18December 05, 2010, 10:55:10 pm

Thezorn

• Veteran

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2010, 10:55:10 pm »
Took the pistons and the crank out today. With more pictures.

I wasnt thinking and cleaned the cyclider like 5 mins before I took the pictures and they got a nice layer of surface rust on them, I does wipe off so its nothing to worry about. Right after that I coated everything it a layer of oil.
Cylinder 1 looks the best out of all of them. (starting from the pulley side of the crank)

Cylinder 2

Cylinder 3

Cylinder 4

Pistons all look super grimmy, My question is, besides the grim there is no actually damage to them, and by the looks of it there is no damaga to the cylinders either. Will I need to change the pistons? Or is it possible to get the cylinders cleaned and re-cross hatched and just re-ring them? Or should I over bore the cylinders and get new pistons?

The head has the usuall cracks between all the valves. But looks good otherwise, besides all the valve grim of course.

Cylinder 1 actually having the worst crack.

Is the valve grim partially there because of the CCV oil vapor coming through the intake? Or is that just from the piston blow by?

One more thing. How does the vacumm pump come out of the block? Do you have to take the gear off the bottom or should it just be able to wiggle its way up and out?

It will be going to the machine shop tuesday, thats all for now.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 11:12:02 pm by Thezorn »
Compounded 93 AAZ

Reply #19December 05, 2010, 11:32:44 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2010, 11:32:44 pm »
Let the machine shop measure your bores and see if you need the overbore. If not then get new rings and hone this. I think your grime is just diesel combustion, could be oil too though.
Vac pump if like the 1.6 should unbolt and come right up out.

Reply #20December 06, 2010, 07:21:50 am

Henchman

• Junior

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2010, 07:21:50 am »
I doubt it, the crosshatch is still visible and I didn't see any gouges on first glance.
Let the machine shop measure your bores and see if you need the overbore. If not then get new rings and hone this. I think your grime is just diesel combustion, could be oil too though.

Why did you take the engine apart?  Looks like if you'd just retimed the engine, things would have been fine.  How did the bearings look?  How about the piston tops?  Prechamber cups?

I assume now you're going to strip the head and get it worked over as well?
Ian
Under way - 1991 Passat Syncro Wagon w/m-tdi

1991 Passat GL Wagon w/AAZ conversion (now using engine/tranny from 1993 Passat

1993 Passat GL 1.9 Diesel (RIP 385k km, engine, tranny, clutch all original)

Reply #21December 06, 2010, 06:04:42 pm

Thezorn

• Veteran

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2010, 06:04:42 pm »
I doubt it, the crosshatch is still visible and I didn't see any gouges on first glance.

Why did you take the engine apart?  Looks like if you'd just retimed the engine, things would have been fine.  How did the bearings look?  How about the piston tops?  Prechamber cups?

I assume now you're going to strip the head and get it worked over as well?
Ian

The reason I took the engine out was to get the crank nose machined for a TDI sprocket. The regular IDI sprocket has slipped on me twice now so it is definatley time for the change. As for the pistons the tops are in great condition and all the bearings, main and con rods, are all in good condition, all the pre cups are tight also. The cyclinders are all in as good as condition as the pictures show, no gouges, or wear.

and for the vac pump there is only the one crows foot type of thing putting pressure down on the top of it? and with that out it should come right out?

Since it is out should I get new main and con rod bearings?
Compounded 93 AAZ

Reply #22December 09, 2010, 06:51:31 pm

Thezorn

• Veteran

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2010, 06:51:31 pm »
Quick question. What year TDI am I getting the crank nose sprocket from? The dealer brought one in for an early 97/98 TDI and it has the same style key as the AAZ.
Compounded 93 AAZ

Reply #23December 09, 2010, 07:59:13 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2010, 07:59:13 pm »
Should be all TDI...maybe not the early passat, but the rest should be the new sproket. I know the 02 and up had the new design for sure as I have that on mine.

Reply #24December 09, 2010, 08:39:07 pm

Thezorn

• Veteran

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2010, 08:39:07 pm »
Thats what I thought. Maybe he just got the wrong part shipped.
Compounded 93 AAZ

Reply #25December 09, 2010, 10:48:16 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2010, 10:48:16 pm »
How good is he at the dealer? The VW guy in Wooster Ohio couldn't find you oil without a part number... Next try the BEW engine code and you should be in there like swimwear.

Reply #26December 10, 2010, 04:09:19 am

jpedro

• Junior

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2010, 04:09:19 am »
hey will remember to remove that blue rag from your head  :P remember what i did hahaha
1990 VW Jetta 1.6L TD 235000kms Custom cold air intake and Custom 3" straight pipe

1992 Ford F250 7.3L IDI custom everything you can possibly think of. ( my braging rights are live with this toy)

Reply #27December 10, 2010, 02:30:59 pm

Thezorn

• Veteran

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2010, 02:30:59 pm »
How good is he at the dealer? The VW guy in Wooster Ohio couldn't find you oil without a part number... Next try the BEW engine code and you should be in there like swimwear.

haha ill go back and check whith him again today.

hey will remember to remove that blue rag from your head  :P remember what i did hahaha

Yea ill try and remember that joe haha. Im making a valve spring compressor and itll hopefully be done today (and will hopefully work) so i might be able to start P&P the head pretty soon.
Compounded 93 AAZ

Reply #28December 10, 2010, 07:57:34 pm

GEE-BEE

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    1981 with South African front end ,42 k original
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2010, 07:57:34 pm »
I have a complete set of silicone ( 3 ) 1.9 aaz coolant hoses in blue in stock, The 1.9 aaz breather is done also, I made it 1 ' inch longer for fitment of the MK1 TD snorkel

If you might only install one set and forget about them...
GB
1.9 AAZ, CHD 5spd with Peloquin
KO4/KO3 Hybrid turbo
Giles Pump OHC
Complete Techtonics 2'5 S/S DP and Exhaust
Coilovers, MKII Pedal Swap,G60 BRAKES
MK1 JETTA DASH
675MM 16V radiator (MKII) PASSAT DUAL FAN
42K original miles , South African Front End
15x6 Le Casletts 195-45-15

Reply #29December 10, 2010, 08:39:43 pm

Thezorn

• Veteran

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2010, 08:39:43 pm »
I have a complete set of silicone ( 3 ) 1.9 aaz coolant hoses in blue in stock, The 1.9 aaz breather is done also, I made it 1 ' inch longer for fitment of the MK1 TD snorkel

If you might only install one set and forget about them...
GB

What would be the chances of getting those in either red or black GB? and price?
Compounded 93 AAZ

Fixmyvw.com