S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Brake parts advice  (Read 8489 times)

Reply #30August 24, 2010, 10:23:04 am

maxfax

• Veteran

Re: Brake parts advice
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2010, 10:23:04 am »
This thread has somewhat motivated me..   Since I still don't have my new engine together after almost 2 years, maybe I'll go after my crappy brakes....

Good luck Doonboggle!

Reply #31August 25, 2010, 11:04:02 pm

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2010, 11:04:02 pm »
maybe I'll go after my crappy brakes....

Max, just in case you get wild and need some brake stuff - AdvanceAuto has the 180mm RabbitCar rear drums for $8 each.
Yeh -$8 bucks

RockAuto has Vented GTI rotors by Raybesto for $16 each.

Reply #32August 26, 2010, 12:54:24 am

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2010, 12:54:24 am »
Max, just in case you get wild and need some brake stuff - AdvanceAuto has the 180mm RabbitCar rear drums for $8 each.
Yeh -$8 bucks

WOW  That is un freakin believable..  I rebuilt the back brakes a few years back and paid I think around 40 per drum..  I just checked Carquest (who has been able to kick butt on prices) and they're around 25..  I wonder if they may be clearing those out or something..  I'm tempted to buy a bunch just to have on had..   

I priced out everything though my Carquest guy for the front brakes: calipers, hoses, pads, rotors, all bolts and hardware.. He beat Rockauto by the cost of shipping..  I know my garage pricing helps, but it's nice living in the stix where everything is cheap...

Reply #33August 26, 2010, 01:19:08 am

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2010, 01:19:08 am »
Yeh i think its clearance fire sale on those $8 drums.
Cheapest to get one turned around here is $10.
180mm fits all Mk1 Rabbit Jetta, All Mk2 Golf and Jet Diesels, and Gasser Golf Jets til 88 or 89. They fit a lot of stuff.

Your CQ guy musta ate the profit to beat Rock on calipers and vented rotors. But with Rock - when they ship from more than one location (they use 4 or 5 locations) the shipping gets heavy.
When they ship from 1 location its cheap, and probably unbeatable.

Its caused me to order/buy elsewhere before because of where the shipping total ballooned. But i always check them out.

They saved me $50 on my front struts overhaul.
On same identical parts.   

Reply #34August 26, 2010, 01:38:39 am

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2010, 01:38:39 am »
Yeh i think its clearance fire sale on those $8 drums.
Cheapest to get one turned around here is $10.

It's about the same here, and most of the time they are too work to turn...

I'm guessing my cost at Carquest is about 10 - 15 percent over their cost..  Never asked though..  Between my father and I we have bought A LOT from Glen over the past many decades..   What astounds me is the suggested markup on some parts..  They have me setup I can lookup and order my parts online..  With those listings they have a suggested markup percentage..   It varies from as low as 30% clear up to 90%  :o   I should throw this out there, if anyone near is reading this and needs something gimme a shout!

The shipping is my one dislike about Rockauto, if you have a large order and things are sent from several different places the cost goes up quick.. I'm guessing they aren;t a big enough operation that they can absorb much shipping costs though, especially at their prices.. 

Reply #35August 26, 2010, 01:43:30 am

doonboggle

• Junior

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2010, 01:43:30 am »

But with Rock - when they ship from more than one location (they use 4 or 5 locations) the shipping gets heavy.
When they ship from 1 location its cheap, and probably unbeatable.
Its caused me to order/buy elsewhere before because of where the shipping total ballooned. But i always check them out.  
Same here Baron, with the orders I just submitted.  At first had most items on Rockauto, and when saw how they ship, and the multiple cost levels, re-did it so that AutohausAZ got enough to implement the free shipping ... and wound up saving about a 25.00 bill doing that.
doon
doonboggle

1981 Rabbit pickup; 1.6L diesel
2006 Jetta TDI
1971 VW Karman Ghia convertible

S-PAutomotive.com