S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: WTB: HILUX 4WD turbo diesel  (Read 5312 times)

July 09, 2010, 11:36:23 pm

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
WTB: HILUX 4WD turbo diesel
« on: July 09, 2010, 11:36:23 pm »
I am looking for a Hilux turbo diesel for my battle of the builds project " www.battleofthebuilds.com " I will be removing the cabin and the bed and using the driveline and frame to make our xb an 4WD one, I am also not looking to spend a fortune on it as we don't have much money for the project so don't think that you can extract a small fortune for it.  We still have to do audio, paint, fabrication interior styling, and tube frame, as well as a stack exhaust, and custom snorkel intake, wheels and tires.  we would love to have some money left over to spend on engine mods, we are going for the win and are attempting to go all of the way to SEMA we have a loooong way to go, but to make our dream a reality we need to have a donor car.

dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
you know, decarbonated beer is a better coolant than the stuff you buy at the auto store, and is better for you...... really
"If the boost were to rise then the throttle would remain in the wide-open throttle position, which might be fun, but probably not for long"Libbypapa

Reply #1July 10, 2010, 12:32:56 am

CathodeRayTube

• User+

Re: WTB: HILUX 4WD turbo diesel
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 12:32:56 am »
This isnt really related to what you want...but i figure il say it anyway...I too am doing a similar project, but for my own joy, not for a contest or whatever...Im swapping a VW diesel into a 1986 Toyota Tercel 4WD station wagon...and also repainting it and lifting it and installing an overkill stereo and just about everything else to it...

Here in the US the Hilux is known as the 4runner i think...or maybe its the hilux-surf that is the 4runner here...is there a difference?  Good luck on your toyota/VW 4wd Frankenstein project as well.

PS. I need a 1.6 TD for my conversion...anybody have one FS in the north east? preferably in PA or north MD...

Reply #2July 10, 2010, 03:16:57 am

Syncroincity

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 03:16:57 am »
Oof, good luck... I think they imported about 20 of those in the mid '80s. ::) They do pop up once in a while, but command big money. You're better off searching for a JDM diesel take-out motor, LOTS of those floating around, just check Ebay. Then run that in the frame of a gasser pickup or 4Runner under your body.

EBAY SEARCH LINK

Isuzu sold diesels here too, in pickups and the Trooper, might be an option for you.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 03:28:52 am by Syncroincity »
JC McCavitt
'86 Syncro GL Camper AAZ
'98 Jetta Wolfie
'04 Passat Variant GLS 4Mo 5MT

Reply #3July 10, 2010, 04:05:15 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 04:05:15 am »
who made the isuzu engines out of curiosity?
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
you know, decarbonated beer is a better coolant than the stuff you buy at the auto store, and is better for you...... really
"If the boost were to rise then the throttle would remain in the wide-open throttle position, which might be fun, but probably not for long"Libbypapa

Reply #4July 10, 2010, 10:46:53 am

mystery3

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 10:46:53 am »
I'm pretty sure Isuzu made the Isuzu engines and also made them for GM.

Reply #5July 10, 2010, 11:56:09 am

bajacalal

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 11:56:09 am »
I looked at getting one of those, they're neat and yes they're rare but they do pop up. The n/a ones are less rare and less expensive.

When I was looking into getting one I found that most of the stuff in those trucks is the same for the 2LT diesel and 22R. Your best bet would be to source an imported engine or front clip and swap it into a gasoline truck sourced locally. If you aren't using this on the road, you won't have to clear the idea with the Cali smog police.

Reply #6July 10, 2010, 12:47:43 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 12:47:43 pm »
hilux only came in canada.. and they are not 4runners in the US. a 4runner is a 4runner where ever it is in the world. hi-lux is just a pickup. usually a higher end model, above the SR5.

Base model
SR4
SR5
Hi-lux

good luck finding one kev. your gonna have to go to central/south america, canada, or pay an arm and a leg from an importer. there were no turbo diesels ever imported into the US. any toyota turbo diesels are either 2L turbo conversions, or 5LT's from canadian/south american trucks. either way tho, you are lookin for a rare bird. i would go look in canada, but if i were in your location, south america looks more appealing.

as for swapping a diesel into a gas truck. its alot harder than you think. the engine mounts are in a different spot, the trans is WAY DIFFERENT, the cross member for the trans needs to be changed, the wiring needs to be dealt with. the diesel trucks actually have LOTS of differences.

its going to be a crying shame to cut up a toyota hi-lux...

why not just use an isuzu diesel pickup? they were way more common in the US. there are both 2 and 4x4 models

my personal favorite is the turbo diesel mitsubishi mighty max.. 2.3L turbo engine, ran great for a long time. cant kill them.. again, most of these were 4x4 rigs.

the suzi or the mitsi are gonna be way easier to find if you dont want to leave the country..

Reply #7July 10, 2010, 01:02:47 pm

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 01:02:47 pm »
Mexico it is then ;D  We have been doing so much for so long challenge simply doesn't scare us we are few we are proud........ you know the rest. 8)

thanks,

Kevin
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #8July 10, 2010, 01:59:58 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 01:59:58 pm »
i would imagine you would be able to find an isuzu or mitsubishi diesel pickup fairly easy in the US. or does that not even sound like a viable option to you? i, personally think that isuzu and mitsubishi engines are better. they have been building small diesels way WAY longer than toyota. and they live alot longer than toyota diesels too.

Reply #9July 10, 2010, 02:33:19 pm

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 02:33:19 pm »
we could do it, nothing in the rules about it, just want to do it that way, shoot, if I could get ahold of a mitsubishi delica that would be the BOMB! DIGGITY!  would rather keep the whole thing toyota if possible.  This is a build that IS going to SEMA and it is for Toyota and Scion, would look good if we kept it that way.
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #10July 10, 2010, 04:42:56 pm

CdnVWJunkie

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 04:42:56 pm »
hilux only came in canada.. and they are not 4runners in the US. a 4runner is a 4runner where ever it is in the world. hi-lux is just a pickup. usually a higher end model, above the SR5.

Base model
SR4
SR5
Hi-lux

good luck finding one kev. your gonna have to go to central/south america, canada, or pay an arm and a leg from an importer. there were no turbo diesels ever imported into the US. any toyota turbo diesels are either 2L turbo conversions, or 5LT's from canadian/south american trucks. either way tho, you are lookin for a rare bird. i would go look in canada, but if i were in your location, south america looks more appealing.

as for swapping a diesel into a gas truck. its alot harder than you think. the engine mounts are in a different spot, the trans is WAY DIFFERENT, the cross member for the trans needs to be changed, the wiring needs to be dealt with. the diesel trucks actually have LOTS of differences.

its going to be a crying shame to cut up a toyota hi-lux...

why not just use an isuzu diesel pickup? they were way more common in the US. there are both 2 and 4x4 models

my personal favorite is the turbo diesel mitsubishi mighty max.. 2.3L turbo engine, ran great for a long time. cant kill them.. again, most of these were 4x4 rigs.

the suzi or the mitsi are gonna be way easier to find if you dont want to leave the country..

Nope we never got the HiLux here in Canada.  Wish we did as I'd likely own one.  There's JDM units floating around here but none were ever sold here new.  We did get Toyota diesels early in the 80's but they were reg or extended cabs.

Reply #11July 10, 2010, 04:44:09 pm

bajacalal

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 04:44:09 pm »
@rabbit on roids - he was talking about doing a tube frame so I went under the assumption that any fabrication involved with sticking a Toyota diesel engine in a gas pickup would be minor by comparison.

@nintendoKD - neither Toyotas nor diesel passenger vehicles (with one exception... our early 80's VWs) were ever sold new in Mexico. Period. Full stop. At least not for the time period you are looking at, they were not sold there, due to various government regulations. The situation has changed starting about 10 years ago and they are both available there now. You will not find one there, if you do, it would have to come from elsewhere. You have to go farther south- Panama, Costa Rica, South American countries. Panama has a TON of diesel Toyota 4x4s. That's like their national car. I would look into Canada, it would be way easier to get something from Canada into the U.S. than somewhere in South America and importing just the engine and related parts would be a lot easier than importing the whole car (trust me I have a college degree related to import-export operations, ok).

The Isuzu mini-pickup diesel is also good advice, I have seen them in the local junkyards.

However, since you're apparently such a skilled fabricator, and since you seem to have few limits with this project, why not get a 3.9 liter, 4 cylinder diesel engine from the Isuzu NPR's. They come in turbo, directly injected, indirectly injected and intercooled variations. They have tons of torque, used examples can be bought here with relative ease and you could actually get parts for them locally.

Reply #12July 10, 2010, 09:56:42 pm

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 09:56:42 pm »
The plan is to use a frame from a hilux "legendary, see top gear indestructable car" and weld up a chromoly tube frame inside the existing unibody of the xb, then simply transplant the xb to the top of the frame of the hilux with some under the hood fab/destruction and marry the two together via the tube frame now present in the unibody xb.  Either that or find a 99 or 00 toyota minivan with the supercharger and the toyota all trac system and basically do the same thing except with just the driveline and mod the interior to accept the mid mounted engine.
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #13July 11, 2010, 01:37:11 am

mystery3

• Veteran

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 01:37:11 am »
The plan is to use a frame from a hilux "legendary, see top gear indestructable car" and weld up a chromoly tube frame inside the existing unibody of the xb, then simply transplant the xb to the top of the frame of the hilux with some under the hood fab/destruction and marry the two together via the tube frame now present in the unibody xb.  Either that or find a 99 or 00 toyota minivan with the supercharger and the toyota all trac system and basically do the same thing except with just the driveline and mod the interior to accept the mid mounted engine.

This option would be way easier, s/c previas are all over the junkyards here. I thought about using the charger from one on a build but from everything I've read the are absolute pieces of crap and very expensive to rebuild.

Reply #14July 11, 2010, 05:45:08 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 05:45:08 am »
previa all trac piece of cake, however, Marines don't do piece of cake.  Last result, yes, right now, no.
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Fixmyvw.com