Author Topic: WTB: HILUX 4WD turbo diesel  (Read 5310 times)

Reply #15July 11, 2010, 10:11:10 am

Rabbit on Roids

Re: WTB: HILUX 4WD turbo diesel
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 10:11:10 am »
hilux only came in canada.. and they are not 4runners in the US. a 4runner is a 4runner where ever it is in the world. hi-lux is just a pickup. usually a higher end model, above the SR5.

Base model
SR4
SR5
Hi-lux

good luck finding one kev. your gonna have to go to central/south america, canada, or pay an arm and a leg from an importer. there were no turbo diesels ever imported into the US. any toyota turbo diesels are either 2L turbo conversions, or 5LT's from canadian/south american trucks. either way tho, you are lookin for a rare bird. i would go look in canada, but if i were in your location, south america looks more appealing.

as for swapping a diesel into a gas truck. its alot harder than you think. the engine mounts are in a different spot, the trans is WAY DIFFERENT, the cross member for the trans needs to be changed, the wiring needs to be dealt with. the diesel trucks actually have LOTS of differences.

its going to be a crying shame to cut up a toyota hi-lux...

why not just use an isuzu diesel pickup? they were way more common in the US. there are both 2 and 4x4 models

my personal favorite is the turbo diesel mitsubishi mighty max.. 2.3L turbo engine, ran great for a long time. cant kill them.. again, most of these were 4x4 rigs.

the suzi or the mitsi are gonna be way easier to find if you dont want to leave the country..

Nope we never got the HiLux here in Canada.  Wish we did as I'd likely own one.  There's JDM units floating around here but none were ever sold here new.  We did get Toyota diesels early in the 80's but they were reg or extended cabs.

what about all those diesel toyotas up in canada that have 4 tiny doors and a tiny little bed on them? swear ive seen a couple 90s body style 4 door diesel toyotas with straight front axles.. from canada.. maybe not..

Reply #16July 11, 2010, 12:47:52 pm

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2010, 12:47:52 pm »
we are doing our best to search some out, the car will be here on the 22, the hope is that we can get one of these bfore then.
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
you know, decarbonated beer is a better coolant than the stuff you buy at the auto store, and is better for you...... really
"If the boost were to rise then the throttle would remain in the wide-open throttle position, which might be fun, but probably not for long"Libbypapa

Reply #17July 12, 2010, 08:29:17 am

CdnVWJunkie

• Veteran

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 08:29:17 am »
You likely have seen some because there's tons of them on the west coast but they're either JDM units or have been swapped.  15 year rule allows even RHDs to be legally registered here in Canada  ::).  They can be had reasonably too, at least IMHO.  $10K or so will buy a very nice low mileage zero rust unit in most cases.  Getting one into the states, well that's another story.  It's been done, surely, but how legally I'm not sure of.

hilux only came in canada.. and they are not 4runners in the US. a 4runner is a 4runner where ever it is in the world. hi-lux is just a pickup. usually a higher end model, above the SR5.

Base model
SR4
SR5
Hi-lux

good luck finding one kev. your gonna have to go to central/south america, canada, or pay an arm and a leg from an importer. there were no turbo diesels ever imported into the US. any toyota turbo diesels are either 2L turbo conversions, or 5LT's from canadian/south american trucks. either way tho, you are lookin for a rare bird. i would go look in canada, but if i were in your location, south america looks more appealing.

as for swapping a diesel into a gas truck. its alot harder than you think. the engine mounts are in a different spot, the trans is WAY DIFFERENT, the cross member for the trans needs to be changed, the wiring needs to be dealt with. the diesel trucks actually have LOTS of differences.

its going to be a crying shame to cut up a toyota hi-lux...

why not just use an isuzu diesel pickup? they were way more common in the US. there are both 2 and 4x4 models

my personal favorite is the turbo diesel mitsubishi mighty max.. 2.3L turbo engine, ran great for a long time. cant kill them.. again, most of these were 4x4 rigs.

the suzi or the mitsi are gonna be way easier to find if you dont want to leave the country..

Nope we never got the HiLux here in Canada.  Wish we did as I'd likely own one.  There's JDM units floating around here but none were ever sold here new.  We did get Toyota diesels early in the 80's but they were reg or extended cabs.

what about all those diesel toyotas up in canada that have 4 tiny doors and a tiny little bed on them? swear ive seen a couple 90s body style 4 door diesel toyotas with straight front axles.. from canada.. maybe not..

Reply #18July 12, 2010, 01:37:18 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 01:37:18 pm »
that doesnt surprise me that they are JDM imports. kinda what i figured honestly. you could get some friggen cool toyotas in japan.. turbo diesel, straight axle, 4 door, standard size bed. now that would be a cool unit.

Reply #19July 12, 2010, 02:52:35 pm

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 02:52:35 pm »
I'll take it all in one neat trimmed little package, thanks.
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
you know, decarbonated beer is a better coolant than the stuff you buy at the auto store, and is better for you...... really
"If the boost were to rise then the throttle would remain in the wide-open throttle position, which might be fun, but probably not for long"Libbypapa

Reply #20July 14, 2010, 01:31:31 pm

myvolkswagen

• Junior

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 01:31:31 pm »
I have seen about 4 hilux where im at in canada. people are bringing right hand drive oil burning skylines and supras and old wrx etc.. from japan ::)

Reply #21July 14, 2010, 02:51:26 pm

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2010, 02:51:26 pm »
where would I go to get one of these? or who would I contact to obtain said unobtanium?
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Fixmyvw.com