Author Topic: cylinder head print?  (Read 9087 times)

June 17, 2010, 03:30:55 pm

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
cylinder head print?
« on: June 17, 2010, 03:30:55 pm »
I have brought up the idea of having a cast head, I will need a print to fully realize this, so, does anyone have a print of the aaz head sitting on a shelf somewhere? 8)

thanks,

kevin

dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
you know, decarbonated beer is a better coolant than the stuff you buy at the auto store, and is better for you...... really
"If the boost were to rise then the throttle would remain in the wide-open throttle position, which might be fun, but probably not for long"Libbypapa

Reply #1June 17, 2010, 06:53:07 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
Re: cylinder head print?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 06:53:07 pm »
A print? like a 3d model?
who knows... try the stealership?
Ed
Blacked out mk2 AAZ Jetta RIP. You are missed.
White 1999.5 ALH Golf 2dr. Low & wide. Rammed off the road RIP.
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Reply #2June 18, 2010, 01:23:36 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 01:23:36 am »
not sure, however the gentleman asking cannot give me a certainty until I can give him a print of the motor/head, alo used the term blueprint.  This leads me to believe that he is perhaps talking about a drawing, as opposed to a CAD 3-d model, or rapid prototyp/3-d printing.  I suggested these and he was confused, he didn't want an object, is how he made it sound, more like he was searching for a map, or rather like a hous eblueprint.  I have never heard of such a thing, not very surprising, as cast is seldom used in todays manufacturing, and I am only 25 years young.  Perhaps some of the veterans or someone from another country on the forum can shed some light upon this.   Really why I posted it here, quite puzzling ???

Thanks,

Kevin
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
you know, decarbonated beer is a better coolant than the stuff you buy at the auto store, and is better for you...... really
"If the boost were to rise then the throttle would remain in the wide-open throttle position, which might be fun, but probably not for long"Libbypapa

Reply #3June 18, 2010, 03:18:02 am

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 03:18:02 am »
Dip head in ink.
Slam on paper.
???
Profit ::)

Reply #4June 18, 2010, 08:37:06 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 08:37:06 am »
ummm ........ no ::), pretty sure it doesn't work that way ;D
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #5June 18, 2010, 08:59:44 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 08:59:44 am »
(419)443-8987
Call and ask for John. This is air cooled engines plus, but he does a ton for audi vw watercooled stuff as well. I would think as many heads as he ported he might have something or at least know where to source something.

Reply #6June 18, 2010, 10:01:50 pm

macka

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 10:01:50 pm »
He needs a blueprint which gives all the measurements to make a mold for casting.
Quote from: Vincent Walden
I do know that I drive torque,  while listening to my friends prattle on about horsepower.

Reply #7June 18, 2010, 11:04:04 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 11:04:04 pm »
Yep, and if anyone would have knowledge of the blueprint it would be John.

Reply #8June 19, 2010, 11:18:26 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 11:18:26 am »
already talked to him, that's why I came here. ;)
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #9June 19, 2010, 06:18:55 pm

macka

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 06:18:55 pm »
did you try the whoretex?
Quote from: Vincent Walden
I do know that I drive torque,  while listening to my friends prattle on about horsepower.

Reply #10June 19, 2010, 11:26:03 pm

Runt

• Junior

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 11:26:03 pm »
Not really helpful here, but I wonder if for one off type work you could do this as a sacrificial pattern.  That is, use an aluminum head as the pattern for the mold, and then melt the aluminum out of the mold and pour the iron in?  My only question would be how to leave a little extra meat on for the machined surfaces.  The cam bearing journals could be done the way they used to do some aircraft rod journals, cast it with the top and bottom as one piece, bore and hone the journal, Drill for the cap bolts, and then freeze them with liquid nitrogen and snap them off.  This gives a nearly perfect mating surface that will only mate one way, but will not move (at all) once mated and tightened.  OT: Come to think of it, I wonder if one could order H beam rods not cut and faced, so that they could be split this way?  Sometimes I wish I had a nice little CAM mill, I'd make all kinds of cool stuff.
Anyways, It never hurts to ask, but I really doubt that anyone who has done the work to create a model (or a set of blueprints) for the head is likely to share them.  It _shouldn't_ be difficult to break the drawings out from a model, but I suspect that is really a moot point.
One DD 92 Jetta, One 91 Collision write-off, and One 92 rust free shell, beautiful, stripped, waiting for diesel-ization.

Reply #11June 20, 2010, 12:35:53 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 12:35:53 am »
I still have a beat up aaz head as a sacrificial lamb, I, however, lack cad and the nec. skills to produce the digital copy.  If it exists it is on the internet, I will attempt to use my ninja powers to extrapolate it's whereabouts. ;D  I wanna get the ball rolling on this, not just for me, but for everyone here on the forum.  It was suggested to me, "by an acquaintance of mine" by a friend who used to do molds, and whos father is a master moldmaker "lost art :'(" that I should use 43/40 moly I found this unusuual, and as noted in another post of mine I still stick by this as a good idea.  any thoughts?

thanks,

Kevin

P.S. don't forget to vote for my build team at www.battleofthebuilds.com mine is the one from 29 palms, ca, thanks in advance.
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #12June 20, 2010, 01:51:54 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 01:51:54 am »
Myke W the mod on here had a beat up 1.6L hydro head I sold him if that helps. I still can get a foundry to do this up if you get it going.
Is there any way to contact VW engineers and ask them? Just ideas.

Reply #13June 20, 2010, 04:50:46 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 04:50:46 am »
I want to use the aaz head because of the feasability and the rarity. As opposed to everyone trying to track down and use an aaz engine, why not just use the aaz head, make more power because of lower static compression and the head just breathes better.  Not only that but users of the aaz head would be able to go hydro or mech.  I was also making a prediction of demand assigned units, that is, I figured more folks would want an aaz head anyways.  In the future, provided I can find a way to get the cost down etc. I planned to have all of the variants made from a stronger material than AL.  Price per unit is definately an issue here, the majority of folks here don't want to spend a fortune fixing their cars up so demand and total units produced will def. depend on price, which is opposite to how it works most of the time.  I would love to know if VW would be down for bringing bach the old IDI in a "new" look.
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #14June 20, 2010, 10:23:04 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 10:23:04 am »
I meant asking VW for the blueprints. I understand what you are doing I am just trying to help make it all happen.