Author Topic: cylinder head print?  (Read 9086 times)

Reply #30June 29, 2010, 02:32:09 pm

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

Re: cylinder head print?
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2010, 02:32:09 pm »
Fabrication forum at VWVortex, thread is called "DIY guide for casting parts" and he's doing a lot of amazing stuff.  He is planning on casting his own cylinder head at some point.  Just something to keep an eye on.  I doubt he will consider making other types of heads but if he can do it with the types of equipment (basic stuff) he is using, then anyone else who has the skills could probably do it too.  It's a LONG thread but worth every minute of reading.

Nothing wrong with some Chinese stuff.  They are leading the world in mass-produced forging and casting.  Of course some of it is junk too, but any one of us could have a complete cast part drawn up and designed, we could send the design to a foundry in China and have a part in our hands in no-time.  034 Motorsport is having a foundry in China make some of their turbo manifolds.  Only way they could keep costs down and still get a quality part make to their specs- I've got no problem with that.

Building the inner molds will be the hard part, especially when taking into account the shrinkage of the casting- other than that, the casting itself will probably be very inexpensive.  The final machining on the other hand, will be quite expensive and that's something you would probably want done in an English-speaking country.  :)

Brendan
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #31June 29, 2010, 03:04:40 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2010, 03:04:40 pm »
that would be the way to do it, get them cast in china, and machined right here at home..

Reply #32June 29, 2010, 09:39:16 pm

macka

• Veteran

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2010, 09:39:16 pm »
If you sent them a head, I bet they'd start knocking them out machined and all and ebay them, after you you had your order filled. On a side note I emailed the company my cousin used to get coolant jackets made to his spec.
Quote from: Vincent Walden
I do know that I drive torque,  while listening to my friends prattle on about horsepower.

Reply #33June 29, 2010, 10:12:10 pm

tSoG-84bit

• Junior

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2010, 10:12:10 pm »
well, I think this is far beyond my skillset or timeframe, but... I planned on putting a small machine shop in the barn, might as well add a smelter to the list of things to buy/build/have.

out of curiosity, but a little off topic, unless I'm mistaken, it would simplify the design to create a waterjacketless head would it not? my cousin and I have tooled around with building a drag rabbit, and rather than fill in the waterjacket to strengthen the head, would it be of any benefit to remove it from existence entirely? does anyone run a waterless VW diesel? I've got way too many projects right now to even consider an attempt at this, but with my neighbors help, (he does this with tons of steel at a time for a living) we may be able to make something happen, eventually...
84bit 1.6na
Engine died, pulling it apart, putting something new in it's place.

Reply #34June 30, 2010, 12:39:15 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2010, 12:39:15 am »
very cheap and easy to build
http://www.corvusmoon.com/kiln.htm
there is some other neat stuff for free bouncing about the internet, as well as the fellow on the whoretex who is forging his own parts "AMAZING THREAD!"
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
you know, decarbonated beer is a better coolant than the stuff you buy at the auto store, and is better for you...... really
"If the boost were to rise then the throttle would remain in the wide-open throttle position, which might be fun, but probably not for long"Libbypapa

Reply #35June 30, 2010, 12:41:01 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2010, 12:41:01 am »
I would build my own but I live on a military installation on borrowed land and the rules state that building a smelter in ones backyard is not bad..... just frowned upon.  I love my free A/C so naturally I follow the rules.
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
you know, decarbonated beer is a better coolant than the stuff you buy at the auto store, and is better for you...... really
"If the boost were to rise then the throttle would remain in the wide-open throttle position, which might be fun, but probably not for long"Libbypapa

Reply #36June 30, 2010, 01:44:36 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2010, 01:44:36 pm »
well, I think this is far beyond my skillset or timeframe, but... I planned on putting a small machine shop in the barn, might as well add a smelter to the list of things to buy/build/have.

out of curiosity, but a little off topic, unless I'm mistaken, it would simplify the design to create a waterjacketless head would it not? my cousin and I have tooled around with building a drag rabbit, and rather than fill in the waterjacket to strengthen the head, would it be of any benefit to remove it from existence entirely? does anyone run a waterless VW diesel? I've got way too many projects right now to even consider an attempt at this, but with my neighbors help, (he does this with tons of steel at a time for a living) we may be able to make something happen, eventually...

So it wouldn't be a daily driver then..........I'd want water cooling.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #37June 30, 2010, 01:47:21 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2010, 01:47:21 pm »
a solid head on a diesel would be alright, but it would be nothing more than a drag car. plain and simple. it could run for mno more than like 5 minutes at a time, max. the head is the part that absorbs the most heat. those prechambers get REAL HOT.

Reply #38June 30, 2010, 03:05:52 pm

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2010, 03:05:52 pm »
yeah kinda need a water jacket of some kind
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #39June 30, 2010, 04:38:32 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2010, 04:38:32 pm »
My noggin tells me that a beast of a diesel would be a 24 valve V6 tdi alluminum top & bottom all cast as a single piece - with water jackets...
you would have to install the valves with a grippy arm tool from the bottom of each of the cylinder sleeves.
throw some titanium con rods, pistons [ceramic coated of course], crank, valves[also ceramic] and you've got an interesting mix.
Include computer controled pnematic valve train (like in a formula 1) and you've got a VERY interesting mix. Also, no timing belt.
Also, be sure to include room for an injector nozzle that would inject distilled water, no2 and LPG (or LNG) all through the same nozzle - beside the diesel injector.
Direct injection for both the main accelerant (diesel) and water,no2 and LNG/LPG.
Something worth mentioning would be that it would be a dry sump and twin charged with big VNT's. Hopefully the h20 would keep the EGT's in the realm of the VNT's.
if not, a supercharger and a larger turbo, like a T3/T4, would be suitable. Perhaps bigger than a T3 actually.
all that lng, no2 and water might even call for an HY35. perhaps even an HX35.
my 2 cents.  

I should also include that the manifolds would all be equal length runners, plenums for the intake and ram horn style exhaust equal length headers for ideal turbo spooling.
I would also like to point out that this would fit somewhat easily in any MK4 with the AC removed and a AWD tranny.
and as for intercooling i think liquid nitrogen could be a suitable heat soak to add into the intake mix OR a FMIC or water to air IC.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 04:43:40 pm by Smokey Eddy »
Ed
Blacked out mk2 AAZ Jetta RIP. You are missed.
White 1999.5 ALH Golf 2dr. Low & wide. Rammed off the road RIP.
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Reply #40June 30, 2010, 09:13:59 pm

ShoulderMan

• Junior

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2010, 09:13:59 pm »
That would be nice, very nice... 8)
  But I think ill have a hard enough time paying for the iron head for now.

Speaking of which,  what kind of figures do you think we are looking at. 1K, 1500, 2K each?

Reply #41June 30, 2010, 10:57:00 pm

macka

• Veteran

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2010, 10:57:00 pm »
That would be nice, very nice... 8)
  But I think ill have a hard enough time paying for the iron head for now.

Speaking of which,  what kind of figures do you think we are looking at. 1K, 1500, 2K each?

If all goes well maybe 500 USD per, possibly less if plain jane cast is used.
Quote from: Vincent Walden
I do know that I drive torque,  while listening to my friends prattle on about horsepower.

Reply #42June 30, 2010, 11:07:03 pm

catlin_cava

• Veteran

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2010, 11:07:03 pm »
Hopefully that AAZ head I sent you will come in handy for something more then a paperweight lol
Catlin

2012 VW Golf 2.5 5speed Deep Black Pearl
1999.5 VW Jetta TDI Bosch .216mm injectors and Malone stage 2, soon 11mm pump and vnt 22(parked for the winter)
2010 VW Golf City 2.0L "Hers"

Reply #43July 01, 2010, 12:55:07 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2010, 12:55:07 am »
already waaaaaay ahead of ya 8)  I just knew it would come in handy, if I kept it around.  "now  what do I use for a paperweight?" ;D
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #44July 01, 2010, 06:14:11 am

catlin_cava

• Veteran

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2010, 06:14:11 am »
I think maybe I could come up with something else if you want other paperweight lol. Wait a few months I may have an ABA motor thats going to be junk lol
Catlin

2012 VW Golf 2.5 5speed Deep Black Pearl
1999.5 VW Jetta TDI Bosch .216mm injectors and Malone stage 2, soon 11mm pump and vnt 22(parked for the winter)
2010 VW Golf City 2.0L "Hers"

S-PAutomotive.com