Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: another IDI doesnt want to start  (Read 7338 times)

December 07, 2005, 03:49:27 pm

2mAn

another IDI doesnt want to start
« on: December 07, 2005, 03:49:27 pm »
i have an 84 jetta with the non turbo 1.6 IDI motor. i havent been driving it lately because im trying to enjoy the last days of my mk2 vr6 before it goes off to the new owner.....

anyways, i havent started the car for at least 2 weeks and its been pretty cold, which to california people means right around freezing. i tried to start the jetta today, no luck. i tried to jump it using the mk2 vr, still no luck. next i left the key in the "on" position for at least 30 secs to make sure the glow plugs are warm. tried it again, nothing....i tried waiting until i heard a cylinder fire to pull the cold start cable, but nothing. tried it again with the cable pulled, again nothing....

where do i go from here? i have a bentley and i will be looking through it to find some answers, but im curious what you experts think i should do?

my buddy also has a diesel jetta and his wont start either, even though he had been driving it everyday. ???? :cry:

Reply #1December 07, 2005, 04:31:23 pm

malone

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Malone Tuning Ltd.
Re: another IDI doesnt want to start
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 04:31:23 pm »
So the engine (starter) is cranking over OK but there's no ignition? Why did you need to jump start it? Just trying to gather info.

Did you have a hard time starting before this problem occured? Did your IDI idle & run smoothly before?

Assuming that you're cranking OK, check the following:

1) Fuel. Loosen each fuel injector line at the top of the fuel injector with a 17mm wrench.. crank it over and see if fuel sprays out. If you're not getting fuel from all four lines then something may be up with your fuel pump. Good thing you're getting a new one from Giles :)

2) Glow plugs.

3) Engine compression. It's inexpensive to get it checked. The wear limit according to the Bentley is 412 PSI per cylinder, warm. You can still do a cold compression test but just keep in mind that PSI readings will be lower. A compressor checker is not expensive either so you could get your own if you want.

If all these check out OK, check the injection pump's timing. That said, did you see any blue/white smoke when you drove your IDI before? Any shudder at low RPM?
http://www.tunezilla.com
93 Eurovan AHU TDI
96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI - I bought it back!
97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L 1Z TDI - sold and missed
11 Golf 2.0L CJAA TDI DSG - Stage 4
14 Golf Wagon 2.0L CJAA TDI DSG - Sold
17 BMW 328d wagon - Sold
09 BMW 335d 3.0L

Reply #2December 07, 2005, 07:38:11 pm

mortskeg

• Junior

• http://www.vwcaddy.com
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 07:38:11 pm »
2manVR6-
Hey I just posted a thing up on Patricks question but it sounds like it might apply to you to so I'll copy it in here-

If your engine is running well once it is started, then I would suspect your glow plug system, especially if it'll start when plugged in but not otherwise. I had this happen on my pickup on 2 occasions, the first was because one of the screws that tightens down on the glow plug fuse had come loose and was not making a good connection, the second time because the fuse had 'blown' (hairline crack). In both cases it was an easy fix, the fuses are pretty inexpensive.

I'd bypass the relay and the fuse by jumpering between the battery + terminal and the glow plug buss, so that you know that they are recieving juice. Give them a good 20 sec and start cranking. *trick I learned from Dr. C* If it still doesn't fire then you'll know that the problem lies elsewhere (or your plugs are bad but you said they are new so probably not)

Here's a pretty good link where a bunch of us hit up alot of reasons that the diesel would fail to run-
http://vwcaddyforum.com/showthread.php?t=3828

Hope this helps.

Reply #3December 09, 2005, 05:20:23 am

2mAn

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 05:20:23 am »
thanks for the help guys, but itll be a few days til i can get around to working on the jetta. i know ill be back with more questions so be ready   :D

Reply #4December 09, 2005, 08:17:15 am

Justin

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 08:17:15 am »
my car is starting like crap and it has new glow plugs, they are getting juice, but the problem is the injection pump vane pump isnt moving enough fuel through the pump to the plunger, could be your problem if it sat for a while and the vane pump set up

later
Justin
www.archeryprostaffmi.com
1985 GMC pickup 4x4 lift kit and runs 14.625 @ 91mph
1982 VW rabbit pickup 1.6L just rebuilt, 100mm cv's, 02A transmission
1997 Geo Tracker 1.9 TDI-M, variable gate turbo, Giles Pump

Reply #5December 14, 2005, 04:09:14 pm

2mAn

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 04:09:14 pm »
im wondering if my starting problem has something to do with my glow plugs.... the reason i ask is because ever since i bought the car back in sept. the glow plug light would never turn off. the previous owner told me it wasnt a big deal, but after sitting in my car with the ignition in the "on" position for a few minutes i went under the hood to see if the glow plugs were warm at all and they were just as cold as everything else around it!

do i need a new glow plug  harness? also the bentley says the relay is right over the fuse box, but i cant seem to find it even with the lower dash panel off?!? any help is appreciated

Reply #6December 14, 2005, 05:04:32 pm

Justin

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 05:04:32 pm »
check the glow plug fuse first, then if thats good I would see if you are getting voltage to the glowplugs, if all of these check out then replace your glowplugs. if your glow plugs still stay on for what seems like forever (probably like 1 minute) then your temp sensor in the coolant flange is likely to be bad or disconnected.

good luck
Justin
www.archeryprostaffmi.com
1985 GMC pickup 4x4 lift kit and runs 14.625 @ 91mph
1982 VW rabbit pickup 1.6L just rebuilt, 100mm cv's, 02A transmission
1997 Geo Tracker 1.9 TDI-M, variable gate turbo, Giles Pump

Reply #7December 14, 2005, 07:28:16 pm

2mAn

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 07:28:16 pm »
the fuse on the firewall is all good, i cleaned the connections though, just because they werent shiny at all.....but didnt change anything.

gotta stupid question.... are the glow plugs supposed to be hot to the touch or are they hot inside the block only??

i touched them after trying to repeatedly start the car and they werent warm at all!! i dont have a voltage meter so i cant check if they are getting any....

i really think i need to get new glow plugs and probably new injector nozzles too. i just want to have a compression test done first so i know for sure this block is gonna last awhile longer before i put a bunch of new parts on it

Reply #8December 16, 2005, 03:05:54 pm

A Guy

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2005, 03:05:54 pm »
As I understand it, if your glow plugs are working you will know it very quickly by touching them with ungloved hands instead of using a volt meter.   :P

Greg

Reply #9December 16, 2005, 05:51:50 pm

malone

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Malone Tuning Ltd.
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2005, 05:51:50 pm »
Yeah.. they glow orange/red when working!
http://www.tunezilla.com
93 Eurovan AHU TDI
96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI - I bought it back!
97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L 1Z TDI - sold and missed
11 Golf 2.0L CJAA TDI DSG - Stage 4
14 Golf Wagon 2.0L CJAA TDI DSG - Sold
17 BMW 328d wagon - Sold
09 BMW 335d 3.0L

Reply #10December 16, 2005, 09:08:11 pm

2mAn

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2005, 09:08:11 pm »
Quote from: "malone"
Yeah.. they glow orange/red when working!

ok so the glow plugs def arent working as they should be. i found a guy on vortex who will sell me his glow plugs and the harness, im sure that should solve the problem, ill let you know. thanks for your help everyone

Reply #11December 16, 2005, 10:02:05 pm

935racer

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2005, 10:02:05 pm »
Don't buy used glow plugs, get new ones, they aren't that expensive.

Reply #12December 16, 2005, 10:48:02 pm

Master ACiD

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2005, 10:48:02 pm »
around here they go for about $10 each new. but i buy them from the junkyard for 50 cents a piece used. ill bring a couple pieces of wire and test them on a battery. my junkyards sell the batterys they get out of cars. i test the glow plugs right in the junkyard and buy the ones which look good and also work good.

used plugs are well, used. they dont last as long as new plugs generally, but but 50 cents a piece i can afford to change out a plug once in a while.

Reply #13December 17, 2005, 10:50:06 pm

2mAn

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2005, 10:50:06 pm »
well the used ones im buying arent old at all, thats why im buying them, plus im getting the glow plug relay with em...

where are some places where i can get new glow plugs?? and the relay??

Reply #14December 21, 2005, 02:14:35 pm

2mAn

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2005, 02:14:35 pm »
just ordered a brand new block heater and a full glow plug kit with 4 new glow plugs, and the relay. i even had it overnighted because i miss driving the jetta around.  :lol:

quick question.... will the car start with the block heater even with the bad glow plugs in it?

S-PAutomotive.com