Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: another IDI doesnt want to start  (Read 7336 times)

Reply #15December 21, 2005, 11:12:53 pm

chrissev

• Veteran

another IDI doesnt want to start
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2005, 11:12:53 pm »
Quote from: "2manVR6"
just ordered a brand new block heater and a full glow plug kit with 4 new glow plugs, and the relay. i even had it overnighted because i miss driving the jetta around.  :lol:

quick question.... will the car start with the block heater even with the bad glow plugs in it?

maybe.  depends how cold it is outside.  Did you ever check to see that the glow plugs were actually getting electricity?  Sometimes the wire that goes to them is broken and just hanging on by a thread of metal.
88 Jetta TD....sold for $1000, bought an 06 Cobalt, clearing out the diesel jetta stuff now

Reply #16December 23, 2005, 05:57:40 pm

2mAn

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2005, 05:57:40 pm »
Quote from: "chrissev"

Did you ever check to see that the glow plugs were actually getting electricity?  Sometimes the wire that goes to them is broken and just hanging on by a thread of metal.

i got my block heater today, but not the glow plugs. they only sent me one, even though i ordered a whole new kit. i plugged in the heater once it was connected to the block and left it plugged in for over an hour. i then tried to start it and again i had to jump it because the battery only has enough juice to turn it over a few times. it still didnt start, just cranked over and over like before?!? i wish i had the glow plugs also, but that will have to wait til next week when i finally recieve them.

i did check the wiring from the glow plugs to the firewall, i cleaned all the connections and that didnt change anything. im not sure exactly where to look under the dash to find the glow plug relay, so i still have to check that out, once i figure out what im looking at. :?

im starting to get irritated because everything seems fine (except for the battery) and it wont start, it just turns over. we'll see if anything changes once i get have the glow plugs installed....

Reply #17December 23, 2005, 08:12:30 pm

malone

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Malone Tuning Ltd.
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2005, 08:12:30 pm »
I will post this in advance in case the new glow plugs do not help your situation.

I've seen someone else have similar problems (can crank all day with no results) and it turns out that he forgot to reconnect the wire to the fuel pump :lol: without electricity to the solenoid on the fuel pump, the pump not deliver the fuel needed.

Turn your key to the "on" position, check if the wire connection on your fuel pump is getting electricity (can use a test light or any light you have).

If you're getting electricity there then the next step is to loosen one of the metal fuel lines on top of each fuel injector (use a 17mm wrench). Crank the motor over a few times.. see if fuel bleeds out.

This may not be the problem you're having but:

1) It's very easy to check (takes 5-15 minutes), and

2) I haven't see you or anyone else in this thread (except Justin) mention fueling. Let us know if you're getting fuel.

How closely have you checked your glow plug fuse? I recall another IDI owner having issues with his glow plugs not working at random times and it turned out that his fuse has a nearly invisible hairline crack in it, disrupting electricity flow from time to time.
http://www.tunezilla.com
93 Eurovan AHU TDI
96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI - I bought it back!
97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L 1Z TDI - sold and missed
11 Golf 2.0L CJAA TDI DSG - Stage 4
14 Golf Wagon 2.0L CJAA TDI DSG - Sold
17 BMW 328d wagon - Sold
09 BMW 335d 3.0L

Reply #18December 31, 2005, 05:00:28 am

2mAn

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2005, 05:00:28 am »
well, got the glow plugs and the relay installed (after having to re-order them because of the stupid place). the relay light turns off now after a few seconds (like it should). the old glow plugs also looked bad, check out the pics and let me know what u think. the white backround wasnt really working so i tried another pic on my rain soaked shirt i was wearing......

so i figured i had found the problem especially since the glow plugs were getting power. i didnt realize til earlier that my roommate has a test light.   :D

i also checked to make sure the pump had all of its wiring plugged in, and i also double checked the fuse on the firewall. both were as they were supposed to be. i still havent checked to see if all the injectors are getting juice because i work on my car alone so its kinda hard to be under the hood and behind the wheel at the same time....... which is also why the car is in the street now instead of the garage.  :evil:
i couldnt push it back in, and  it actually rolled further out than where it was.....
the first pic is from the spot in the garage where it started, i rolled it out next to my mk2 vr6 so i could jump it again......

and where she is sitting as of now.....

im so mad right now, i cant wait til my pump gets here so i can just tow my car to the shop and let them deal with it!!!  :x i hope 2006 is much better than 2005 cuz 05 has treated me like dirt.... im going to sleep, its 2am, i spent all night trying to get her started, but she doesnt want to..... and i really dont care right now....

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!! i hope your new years celebration will be good cuz im just going to sit home now.......

Reply #19December 31, 2005, 02:52:08 pm

2mAn

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2005, 02:52:08 pm »
got my rebuilt pump from giles today, so ill drop off my car on monday to have it installed as well as having the timing belt done and replacing the pass side motor mount. everything should be good after that, but im going to have my mechanic do a compression test also because  im curious how healthy the block is with 250k+.... til then..... HAPPY NEW YEAR!! (again) :lol:

Reply #20December 31, 2005, 05:54:19 pm

malone

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Malone Tuning Ltd.
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2005, 05:54:19 pm »
Getting any fuel out of the injector lines when cranking the motor?

Getting power to the fuel pump?

Ask the shop to do a compression test - it's cheap to do anyway and it's just nice to know the compression #s.
http://www.tunezilla.com
93 Eurovan AHU TDI
96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI - I bought it back!
97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L 1Z TDI - sold and missed
11 Golf 2.0L CJAA TDI DSG - Stage 4
14 Golf Wagon 2.0L CJAA TDI DSG - Sold
17 BMW 328d wagon - Sold
09 BMW 335d 3.0L

Reply #21January 08, 2006, 03:31:35 pm

2mAn

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2006, 03:31:35 pm »
i couldnt get my compression test done, but the pump is installed and ive already driven almost 500 miles since friday!!! i just love driving this car, plus my gti is now gone to its new owner, thanks for your help malone, and a big ups to Giles at Super Fuel Injection, i put their lil plate under my hood cuz i like em so much :lol:

Reply #22January 12, 2006, 02:49:40 am

tackered

• User+

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2006, 02:49:40 am »
It depends how cold it is, and how good your battery is.

I can start my car down to about -15°C without the block heater; but my battery is quite old and weak, so I usually plug it in when it's getting colder at night...

Thank goodness for battery blankets.
I hate MKIII heat shields.
Quote from: "ultimate steve"
i just hope your a little more careful when the time comes to change your blinker fluid.

Fixmyvw.com