Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Back Up Lights!  (Read 3583 times)

May 15, 2010, 09:58:00 pm

ffgb

• Junior

Back Up Lights!
« on: May 15, 2010, 09:58:00 pm »
My back up lights are not working on my 1984 Rabbit.  I have changed the switch to a new oem one,  I also changed the bulbs, and I checked the fuse and that is still good.  I don't know what is going on.  When I bought the car, the reverse lights didn't work.  I put a 4 pin switch in to check, does not work.  I put the new 5 pin switch, still doesn't work.  I give up, I don't know where else to check, please help!!!

P.S. Does anyone here know where I can get the individual female connectors that attach to the back up light switch?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 10:34:37 pm by ffgb »

Reply #1May 16, 2010, 02:04:34 am

Baron VonZeppelin

Re: Back Up Lights!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 02:04:34 am »
Check this on yours-

The hot wire in the plug to the reverse/upshift switch is always "hot" when the ignition switch is on.

With a test light, find which wire/terminal that one is, on your female plug.
If none are hot - then the problem is up ahead of that toward the cab.

If you have a hot wire, good. The problem will be rearward.
Usually the one directly across and all alone in the plug is the one that gets switched across to - by the reverse switch.  

run a 12v jump wire strait to that wire/terminal in the female receptacle plug and you "should" have reverse lights - if All else IS well back to the bulbs.

If no lights working after that test,
start at the rear bulb sockets and work your way back to the front with a test light.

you can use common standard female spade crimp connectors (red size) on the ends as connectors, to connect to the reverse light switch male pins. If you want to eliminate the female receptacle entirely.

Especially if you are just going to use just the 2 for the reverse lights. If you're going after the upshift light too, then you'll need them all hooked up. Radio Shack will have smaller female spades.

You can run new wires out through the old boot and connect to the existing wires, and keep use of the boot.

Might find female spades at RadShk that will fit back into the original receptacle plug. If you want to stay stock.

A cheap-easy option for the reverse lights is a $5-8 dash toggle from a big box autoparts mounted in one of the lower dash bezel blanks.
But its primative eqpt if you have a classy car.

You've already bought the switch(es), might as well try your best to get them functioning with the system, due to their expense.
I've recently priced them.

good luck4u soon

Reply #2May 17, 2010, 04:07:47 pm

ffgb

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 04:07:47 pm »
I do not want to eliminate the female plug receptacle.  Does anyone here know where I can get the individual metal wire terminals (female) that are crimped on the end of the wires that are then inserted into the white plug before that entire plug gets connected onto the back up light switch?  I called the dealer, and they don't understand what I am talking about.

Reply #3May 17, 2010, 04:10:57 pm

Vincent Waldon

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• My collection of HOWTOs
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 04:10:57 pm »
Tell the dealer you need a "terminal repair kit"... that's the VW terminology for two pins with a length of wire between 'em that are used to repair damaged connectors, etc.

Now of course there are thousands of "terminal repair kits" in his catalog... but he should be able to reference the connector you have in mind with the right repair kit.
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3, 1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Reply #4May 17, 2010, 04:51:02 pm

ffgb

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 04:51:02 pm »
Thank You very much, that was awesome!

Reply #5May 18, 2010, 01:34:40 am

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 01:34:40 am »
I wouldn't buy anything else until I saw the bulbs light up using the proceedures i listed.

As long as the jumper wire made them light up - then i'd remove switch from tranny - plug in the wiring - and press the nub that actuates the reverse lights. If lights no worky that way - assuming the new switch is good - then i'd move into the receptacle wiring.

side note:
Any mk2 or mk3 radio plug will have the same terminals you need.
If you have access to such animals at boneyards.