Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: WTB: oversize pistons for a cy code 1.6 td 030  (Read 5897 times)

February 15, 2010, 03:26:30 pm

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
WTB: oversize pistons for a cy code 1.6 td 030
« on: February 15, 2010, 03:26:30 pm »
You heard it right, I need 030 oversize pistons, having a helluva time finding this oversie size.  If I wanted to bore to 5 over I would, but I much rather go with the size that I have.  The pistons are in rough shape and I don't want to use damaged pistons for my build.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
you know, decarbonated beer is a better coolant than the stuff you buy at the auto store, and is better for you...... really
"If the boost were to rise then the throttle would remain in the wide-open throttle position, which might be fun, but probably not for long"Libbypapa

Reply #1February 15, 2010, 03:29:46 pm

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
Re: WTB: oversize pistons for a cy code 1.6 td 030
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 03:29:46 pm »
This is from an early 1.6 block from an 83' rabbit turbo diesel "RARE" in case anyone was wondering.  Got it from a guy in pollock pines in norcal.  Interesting oversize, if I absolutely must go 5 over I will but I am sure these things are out there. just don't want to pay more that I would if I were to go oversize 5 over machining cost plus the new pistons.  In otherwords I need em' cheap, or I don't need em.  Don't mean to sound the scrooge or anything.
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
you know, decarbonated beer is a better coolant than the stuff you buy at the auto store, and is better for you...... really
"If the boost were to rise then the throttle would remain in the wide-open throttle position, which might be fun, but probably not for long"Libbypapa

Reply #2February 15, 2010, 05:43:27 pm

ilikevwdiesel

• Veteran

• Erupt into a BEVRAGE this summer with Glug!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 05:43:27 pm »
1.6 pistons are generally sold in .5 and 1.0 mm oversizes, that is .020 and .040
Look, if corn and kudzu fall in love and have a baby in a lab under the supervision of scientists working in my employ, WHO AM I TO STOP THAT other than the CEO responsible for stopping it???

My Bio

Reply #3February 16, 2010, 12:13:03 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 12:13:03 am »
sooooo no in between? mine literally say 030 on top of the piston is that normal?
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #4February 16, 2010, 12:16:37 am

truckinwagen

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 12:16:37 am »
they should have the piston diameter stamped on there, like this:

see the "76.72" stamped in the piston?
these are third oversize(I think) there is a chart in the bentley that lists the oversizes and the piston diameters that go with them.

if nothing else you can take a pair of calipers to your pistons and consult the chart in the bentley to figure out which oversize they are.

-Owen
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #5February 16, 2010, 01:59:38 am

rabbid79

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 01:59:38 am »
Those pistons in the picture are probably the "1st" oversize.  It went 76.50-std, 76.75-1st, 77.00-2nd, and 77.50-3rd.  This is in general.  I don't think anybody but VW themselves actually sold true "1st oversize" pistons.  At least, I've never seen an OEM sell them.
As another interesting side note, there are actually different sized pistons within a given "oversize".  The piston in the picture is a perfect example of this.  The second oversize can actually be 76.98 or 77.00mm.  I think it has to do with the manufacturing tolerances.  They group similarly sized pistons with each other, right down to the 1/100mm.  VW even catagorizes them as "blue" or "pink", etc. to indicate which actual size they are of each given oversize.
NintendoKD, I would be a bit surprised if that really is a .030 oversize piston you have there since it doesn't really "fit" the idea of .020 corresponding to 77.00mm and .040 corresponding 77.50mm pistons.  If they really were .030 oversize pistons, they would probably have to be 77.25mm which is a size I've never heard of.  I think the best advice would be measure it and go from there.
'15 WRX
Parts for 2.0 TD build - Now looking for suitable car to put it in.

Reply #6February 16, 2010, 09:21:18 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 09:21:18 am »
Well do, have to wait til wed to see though, stuffs locked up at the shop.  Been wrong before, so this wouldn't be a first ;D
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #7February 16, 2010, 12:13:46 pm

Dakotakid

• Veteran

« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 12:15:35 pm by Dakotakid »
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #8February 16, 2010, 12:43:31 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 12:43:31 pm »
You heard it right, I need 030 oversize pistons, having a helluva time finding this oversie size.  If I wanted to bore to 5 over I would, but I much rather go with the size that I have.  The pistons are in rough shape and I don't want to use damaged pistons for my build.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

never seen a set of .030 over pistons ofr a VW before. the size of the piston is usually the diameter, not just the over size amount. it should say 76.48, or 76.98 or something along those lines, on the top of the piston.

Reply #9February 16, 2010, 08:28:53 pm

Dakotakid

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 08:28:53 pm »
The .030 stamping is expressing the amount of cylinder wall clearance you need: .030 mm
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #10February 16, 2010, 08:52:21 pm

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 08:52:21 pm »
So I may have stock pistons yet :D *crosses fingers*  I'll be sure to check tomorrow.
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #11February 16, 2010, 09:10:53 pm

rabbid79

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 09:10:53 pm »
By the way, I have a set of 5 brand new Kolbenschmidt turbo diesel pistons for sale.  They're "2nd" oversize at 77.00mm (.020).  I know you only need 4 so I'll give you a good deal on just four, or throw in the 5th for not a lot more.  LMK
'15 WRX
Parts for 2.0 TD build - Now looking for suitable car to put it in.

Reply #12February 16, 2010, 09:50:56 pm

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 09:50:56 pm »
*sighs*  if I have oversize I'll keep you in mind, I need new ones regardless and am really trying to keep from having to machine.  Regardless I'll keep you posted. 8)
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #13February 17, 2010, 12:23:00 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 12:23:00 pm »
*sighs*  if I have oversize I'll keep you in mind, I need new ones regardless and am really trying to keep from having to machine.  Regardless I'll keep you posted. 8)

so you are spending all this time and money on this engine, but you cant drop a hundred bucks to get the block bored out to the proper size? it really doesnt make much sense to me. knife edge the crank, dry sump oiling, 1.9 head, but its still got the same bore VW manufactured it with who knows how many miles ago? that does not make good sense to me. and your pistons are already messed up, so you need different ones anyway? so why not just get it bored and call it good?

Reply #14February 18, 2010, 12:18:30 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 12:18:30 am »
If it aint broke don't fix it.  The bores still had cross hatching when I got the block, to me that means that the bores are still good, but that's just me.  I am trying to avoid all of the machining that I can, i'ts a pain to keep taking it back to the machinist and hear his I-told-you-so speech again and again :P ::)  No, but seriously, the bores are fine, why mess up a good thing?  I have to buy pistons regardless why spend the extra 100 bones if I don't have to time will tell, I'll find out tomorrow, completely forgot about it today.  I'll be sure to take some pics too.
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb