S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Golf II GTD with 1.9 AAZ engine --- EVO II  (Read 151854 times)

Reply #135January 13, 2012, 06:54:58 am

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

Re: Golf II GTD with 1.9 AAZ engine --- EVO II
« Reply #135 on: January 13, 2012, 06:54:58 am »
Hi,

After that i first checked the static timing, which was with 0,88 mm - 0,89 mm quite good and second i checked
the internal pressure of the injection pump. I measure 2,0 bar @ idle and max. 5,5 above 4000 rpm, than i increase
it a bit to 2,5 bar @ idle and max. 6,0 bar above 4000 rpm. I found also that the pressure increasing is realy realy
slow, much slower as i exepcted and also much slower as in my BMW pump. I wand to have a max. pressure of 10
bar a 6000 rpm (same as my BMW pump), but could not adjust it, i assume that either the pressure control valve is
broken (due to my past maloperation) or the leakage at the timing pistion is to high. I will dismount the valve and
take a look at the spring, than i will know more.

Best Regards

That rate of advance actually mirrors a standard vw 1.6TD pump.. . Just slightly lower but well within the range of usefulness because you wont runout of dynamic advance  at the higher speeds.
Do you have the dynamic advance curve readings?
Does anyone have a dynamic advance reading set for the yellow dot pump?
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #136January 13, 2012, 05:12:05 pm

Alleslowbuged

• Veteran

Re: Golf II GTD with 1.9 AAZ engine --- EVO II (new dyno)
« Reply #136 on: January 13, 2012, 05:12:05 pm »
Hi Mark,

sorry but i do not fully understand your post, did you refer to the pump diagram if have posted in the "The Dynamic Advance thread...",
when you wrote "yellow dot pump"? If yes the stroke of the adavance timing piston is also shown in the diagram (lines with purple and
black cubes).

The diagram also shows that the max. stock internal pressure is ~8 bar @ 4500 rpm, by extrapolating the "linear" curve this brings the
stated ~10 bar @ 6000 rpm. The max. stock advance timing is ~9,5 °IP (@ ~8 bar), which brings ~ 7,0 °IP @ 6 bar, which says that my
timing actual works only proper up to ~3400 rpm.

Yesterday i have checked my pressure regulation valves whichs look and feel fine, so i will have to dismount the pump and take a look inside (again).
I have also installed the EGT gauge, but still have not found a proper place in the cabin (after it was taped in front of the instrument pack actual
it lays in the clove box.

I have also forget to write that i have dismount the pu inlays in the engine bearing, now everthing is fine again.

Best Regards
Alleslowbuged

P.S.
And also thanks for all that nice words, always nice to reconize that people reading this stuff

« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 06:16:56 pm by Alleslowbuged »
VW Golf Mk1 (Typ 17) 1981 with 1.6 TD
BMW E28 524 TD

Reply #137January 14, 2012, 12:14:17 pm

Alleslowbuged

• Veteran

« Reply #137 on: January 14, 2012, 12:14:17 pm »
Hi,

today i finally found a solution for the EGT gauge and i am very happy with it:

Max. temperatur until now was 960°C (1760 °F) in fourth gear @ ~4800 rpm with full load, at normal accelaration it is between 350 - 500 °C (660 - 932 °F), idle temp is around 120 °C (250 °F).

Here two pictures from outside, becuase we did not have one for so long:

Best Regards
Alleslowbuged
BMW E28 524 TD

Reply #138January 15, 2012, 04:42:29 am

carrizog60

• Veteran

« Reply #138 on: January 15, 2012, 04:42:29 am »
looks good!

as for the gauge why not in the vent area?
or make a custom plate to replace the area where the lighter is?
i have 2 gauges there and it looks great,almost oem.

as for timing,do are you sure the advance rate is linear?
you could try to make less pre-tension on the spring so it would advance faster?(less internal pressure but compensated with less spring resistance)
vw golf gti G60--vw passat 1.9td gt2052v
yamaha vmax 1200- yamaha tdm 850
Portugal

Reply #139January 15, 2012, 07:48:56 am

Alleslowbuged

• Veteran

« Reply #139 on: January 15, 2012, 07:48:56 am »
Hi,

yes vent area would be an option, but i wand it as much in my driving view as possible.

Regarding the timing, i will see what i will do, after i have took a look inside the pump.
The timing curve is not 100% linear, but nearly so it is not necessary to considere.

Best Regards
Alleslowbuged

BMW E28 524 TD

Reply #140January 15, 2012, 09:54:55 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #140 on: January 15, 2012, 09:54:55 am »
I would say your pump is putting out almost what mine did. I had mine turned down but it would still get to 1650F and I would let off. You aren't too worried about the heat? I told Giles last time just to make it run and I would not worry about it. How often have you gotten it that hot? I really want to get my engine back together and see how hot I can make it without melting.

Reply #141January 15, 2012, 11:30:13 am

Alleslowbuged

• Veteran

« Reply #141 on: January 15, 2012, 11:30:13 am »
Hi,

my BMW have sometimes more than 1000°C (>1830) when i make full load through serveral gears (i.e. on 1/4 mile race) and it did that for serveral years now.
But i have to say that such high temperatures just occurs for seconds in both cars. I am personally not to much scared up to 800°C, as i read that actual TDI
have that at full load on the autobahn also.

Best Regards
Alleslowbuged
BMW E28 524 TD

Reply #142January 15, 2012, 02:09:42 pm

carrizog60

• Veteran

« Reply #142 on: January 15, 2012, 02:09:42 pm »
is tdi head the same material as ours?i dont think it is,being a late technology ???
vw golf gti G60--vw passat 1.9td gt2052v
yamaha vmax 1200- yamaha tdm 850
Portugal

Reply #143January 19, 2012, 08:32:26 pm

Alleslowbuged

• Veteran

« Reply #143 on: January 19, 2012, 08:32:26 pm »
Hi,

today i have made some comparison with the "EVO I" vs. "EVO II" figures, here is whats came out:
(straight line is "EVO I" and dotted line is "EVO II")

wheel power vs. speed:
(black line is drag power)

wheel power (minus drag) vs. speed:

wheel torque (minus drag) vs. speed:

acceleration vs. speed:
(max. acceleration in 1. gear is only theoretical)

speed vs. time:
(i assume max. possible acceleration due to wheels is 0,7g, no shifting time)

distance vs. time:
(i assume max. possible acceleration due to wheels is 0,7g, no shifting time)

Best Regards
Alleslowbuged

BMW E28 524 TD

Reply #144January 21, 2012, 03:59:36 pm

TurboJ

• Veteran

« Reply #144 on: January 21, 2012, 03:59:36 pm »
Great stuff! I love all the analytic stuff too!

I'd love to hear how it actually behaves on the road, is the turbo boost readily available for overtaking for example, or is there a noticeable delay after you press the throttle - when driving in the right rev range of course.

How is it off-boost? Would be very interesting to hear how the "normal driving range" of the AAZ's performance has improved.

Thumbs up for your great progress and determination!

You'll be getting some very, very impressive hp number in the future when you get it running 100% (and maybe with a front-mounted intercooler...)

I'm definetely watching this space!
---------------------------------------
Jetta II 1.6 TD 'Project 200'

Reply #145January 22, 2012, 07:24:32 am

Alleslowbuged

• Veteran

« Reply #145 on: January 22, 2012, 07:24:32 am »
Hi,

Thanks for the nice words, the "normal" (non blast) driveability is great, a shame for VW that the did not cut valve pockets in the pistons or deepening the valve seats (as i did) to be able to put in a "real" camshaft. As could be seen in the dyno plots, i have now 20 Nm - 50 Nm and 8 kW - 20 kW more in the rev range 1000 rpm - 3000 rpm, which is mainly related to the camshaft in my eyes. And in fact this not a suprise for me, because our idi engine did not need a specific swirl due to valve geometrie and flow speeds, as it makes all that neccessary pre-combustion work in the swirl chamber, so in my eyes the valves has only one thing to ensure: to max. out the possible flow.

In my eyes it is the logical consequence, if you take the efficiency penalty from the swirl chamber, you should also take the advance from them, that you could take the biggest valves (only limited due to mechanical and geometric limitations) and try to use the higher temps in the swirl chamber for higher revs.

To come back to your question, the off-boost performace is improved to. The new "drive feel" appeals me more with every km i have driven (actual ~ 1300 km) it. It is quite differend as before, every minimal throttle move brings a tiny slighty boost increase at low idle, so the engines allways feels motivated to give more. For sure it is everything else than a K14 setup, whichs warps you through lower revs with instand response.

It feels a bit less spectacular, as the "boost hammer" came at ~ 1,0 bar instead of ~ 0,5 bar (with smaller turbos), so you allready have say 120 hp when it comes really hard. But as i say before and could be seen in the dyno plot, i have allways and anywhere more power than before.

What is really really nice now is the "non cruising mode", and is not only due to the improved power figures it is due to the improved shape of the power curve. I can stay as long as i wand in every gear through a corner and it still is capable to pulls me out of the corner harder and harder as the power allways increase. We have had a small blast yesterday (a friend with a 330 D (E46) and me) and i really like the way how it works know, specially whith the open screamer pipe, whichs gaves a great secondary acoustic signal, just like an acoustic  redline flash.

But there was also some poor moments yesterday, i have bought a 5,0 V10 TDI intake whichs looks exactly how i wand my intake manifold to look:

The ports has the correct geoemtric in general, but the support bolts are not on the right place. I also needs ~ 110 mm lateral place and i have only ~85 mm between the cylinder head and the compressor housing. How ever i have hoped to find a solution by unsing the support flange from a 1Y manifold:

In fact i must cuted the V10 manifold, so that it is mainly only a pipe at the end. As result i notice that the runners than have a smaller axial distance (the two inner runner are connected there) so they will than not fit with the 1Y part. Pherhaps i could weld the two 1Y parts together in a differnd angle, so that they will fit with my turbo setup, but than i also have change the angle on the top end of the manifold. At this burning of money depressed me yesterday, i did not have make any more pictures and have decided to bold on a stock 1.9 TDI manifold (the version with seperate runners) as first step.

Best Regards
Alleslowbuged

BMW E28 524 TD

Reply #146January 22, 2012, 09:37:35 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #146 on: January 22, 2012, 09:37:35 am »
Perhaps u could just weld on a boss to the side of the ports that is missing the bolt hole or you could even have a flange made up and weld the v10 it take to that the flange idea is costly for sure. But it sounded like you wanted to make very short runners right?
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #147January 22, 2012, 12:49:41 pm

Alleslowbuged

• Veteran

« Reply #147 on: January 22, 2012, 12:49:41 pm »
Hi,

yes the flange idea would be possible, i have had thought about it also before i cut the 1Y intake in two pices.
I have tried to stay with the runner length of the V10 intake (also with the different in lengths from 1. to 4. cylinder),
but the part which i cut out of the 1Y manifold is nearly the same length as the V10 runner for the 4. cylinder.

I have also tried to stay with the angle of the V10 runners, but both together means that there will be a collision with
the compressor housing. After leaving the frustration phase behind me, i am now not longer sure that there is no chance
to use the V10 intake. If i would have started with the idea to change the angle of the runner to that degree that it fits with
compressor housing, and take the 1Y part as additional runner lenght, there could be a change to build a nice intake, with
reasonable effort.

Best Regards
Allelsowbuged   
BMW E28 524 TD

Reply #148January 24, 2012, 01:43:51 am

baldone

« Reply #148 on: January 24, 2012, 01:43:51 am »
Hello

If it is not a secret, could you send me a dimensions of the intake manifold?

Reply #149January 26, 2012, 03:50:01 pm

Alleslowbuged

• Veteran

Re: Golf II GTD with 1.9 AAZ engine --- EVO II
« Reply #149 on: January 26, 2012, 03:50:01 pm »
Hi,

@baldone
Sure you get that, but i have to took them out of the 3D model before. Also iwand to state out, that the stock intake part is only make with rough dimensions and do not realy relate with the real stock intake, so i am not sure if can do anything with the dimensions.

@all

Here is a short video for the fans of moving pictures, which schows acceleration in third gear from today with speedo, rev counter and boost gauge. You can also see the egt gauge, but the display refresh time did not fit with the cam picture rate:

Best Regards 
BMW E28 524 TD