Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: disco pump, timing  (Read 13565 times)

Reply #45March 19, 2010, 04:36:40 am

svenakela

• Junior

Re: disco pump, timing
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2010, 04:36:40 am »
The firing order out of the pump is always the same, ABCD(EF). As long as you are using the lines from the engine you won't have a problem.

Ok, it seems no one understands what I'm talking about. There are four holes where the pump is squirting out diesel. And yes, they are always squirting in series (ABCD). But which of the four holes are going to be connected to the first cylinder?
Got it now?

Of course any of the out's can be connected to the first cylinder as the advance always will be the same, but then the pump must be rotated 90 degrees for each step the firing is rotated to keep the correct timing. What I was asking for was on a standard setup, which of the holes on the pump is connected to cyl 1. In Rich's case, he had to rotate the timing 90 degrees. Either there's a difference in the setup between the VW and the LR engine, or there's a specific change in Rich case that forced this rotation.

Reply #46March 19, 2010, 11:43:16 am

blackdogvan

• Veteran

« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2010, 11:43:16 am »
I'm pretty sure Rich rotated the flywheel 90 degrees, not the pump. :P

Between the bracket & the injection lines you'd have to try VERY hard to install the pump wrong.
1991 Vanagon 1.9 mTDI

Reply #47March 20, 2010, 07:16:46 am

snakemaster

• Veteran

« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2010, 07:16:46 am »
The firing order out of the pump is always the same, ABCD(EF). As long as you are using the lines from the engine you won't have a problem.

Ok, it seems no one understands what I'm talking about. There are four holes where the pump is squirting out diesel. And yes, they are always squirting in series (ABCD). But which of the four holes are going to be connected to the first cylinder?
Got it now?

Of course any of the out's can be connected to the first cylinder as the advance always will be the same, but then the pump must be rotated 90 degrees for each step the firing is rotated to keep the correct timing. What I was asking for was on a standard setup, which of the holes on the pump is connected to cyl 1. In Rich's case, he had to rotate the timing 90 degrees. Either there's a difference in the setup between the VW and the LR engine, or there's a specific change in Rich case that forced this rotation.

it dose not mater which one it comes out you just turn your pump clock wise untill you get fuel out no1 fuel pipe at the injector , and your prob solved , the only driffrance is where bosch put the key way in the shaft where your pulley goes on . get it now?
Glenmorangie  single highland malt

Reply #48March 20, 2010, 09:23:43 am

oldskool rich

• Veteran

« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2010, 09:23:43 am »
ok, thort id cracked it but having sum more issues, any ideas and thorts wud be welcome

i havent got and vids yet because the guys turbo died the next day, wich is unusual as its quite new, but could of been on its way anyway. he blanked his turbo off and has been running it NA until he can get another one sorted. car runs fine wen its warm but wen its starting from cold it smokes its tits off, like realy bad and seems like its running on 2 or 3, seems like its dumping fuel. he says the sump is filling with diesel too. these are brand new nozzles and same problem with his origonal injectors too. anyway he has been living with the problem untill now, he went to start it up and suddenly somthin hit and now he has no compression. weve not took it apart yet but sound like hydraulicly locked

any ideas?

f6squared I.D.S.T

Reply #49March 20, 2010, 11:06:03 am

svenakela

• Junior

« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2010, 11:06:03 am »

Got it now?

it dose not mater which one it comes out you just turn your pump clock wise untill you get fuel out no1 fuel pipe at the injector , and your prob solved , the only driffrance is where bosch put the key way in the shaft where your pulley goes on . get it now?

Yep, I got that before as well. I just wanted to know how the setup on the working engines are with the LR-pump. I think I give up and go with your option anyway, twist-squirt-set. :)

Reply #50March 21, 2010, 09:30:50 pm

oldskool rich

• Veteran

« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2010, 09:30:50 pm »
help!

f6squared I.D.S.T

Reply #51March 22, 2010, 08:01:32 am

snakemaster

• Veteran

« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2010, 08:01:32 am »
take it apart and take pics
Glenmorangie  single highland malt

Reply #52April 02, 2010, 03:36:25 pm

rolo

• User+

« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2010, 03:36:25 pm »
Going back to the no.1 question, Tdi pump 1 was upper left, Landrover lower right (from the back). Was sick of moving the pump so spun the camshaft 180 where it remains till the aaz cam comes out and the tdi goes back. Valves seem too near pistons-no carbon building up under inlets and just put a shimmed Perkins Prima govenor spring in.
the last one