Author Topic: who needs a proper downpipe for 1.6TD in mkI chassis?  (Read 2240 times)

September 07, 2005, 11:54:42 am

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

who needs a proper downpipe for 1.6TD in mkI chassis?
« on: September 07, 2005, 11:54:42 am »
rat407 has been nice enough to get some 2.5" downpipes made up for the mkII 1.6TD people, but these pipes won't fit the mkI chassis.  :cry:

is there any interest in having some 1.6TD mkI downpipes made up? post here and we'll get a list going. i'm hoping there is someone close to him that can sacrifice their car for a few hours as a template. mkI TDs are rare, so finding one to base the design off of is the hard part. rat407 is in North Carolina.

:mrgreen:

Reply #1September 08, 2005, 09:03:47 am

veeman

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 09:03:47 am »
I think that quite a few people would be interested.  I believe that Malone was also working on an A1 solution, but I'm not sure where he is with that one. Maybe check his post to see who was interested...

I am near completion with my 1.6TD swap and to save some time, I ended up making my own downpipe with a friend of mine.  Really, the most expensive parts of it were the flex pipe (not pictured) and the flange (from ATP).  

I'd volunteer my caddy for a mockup, but I'm in Ohio...

81 Caddy TD
98 Audi A4 Quattro V6 TDI
83 VW GTI FSP
86 4ktq

Reply #2September 08, 2005, 02:24:17 pm

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 02:24:17 pm »
wow that pipe looks great. thats for a 1.6L TD in a mkI right?

want to make a couple more??  :lol:

i searched, but can't find the post you mentioned by malone. maybe its under a weird title..

Reply #3September 08, 2005, 02:30:09 pm

veeman

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 02:30:09 pm »
>>wow that pipe looks great. thats for a 1.6L TD in a mkI right?

Yep... that's in my caddy right now.  I've still got to paint the thing and put in a brace to the head / block area.  It turned out to be easier than I thought.  My buddy's got a good eye for hacking those bends.

>>want to make a couple more??

Not sure, but I can definitely steer you in the right direction for the parts / bends I used.  It all basically came from summit_racing.  U/J bends and the small braided flex section.  I'll post a better pic soon...

>>i searched, but can't find the post you mentioned by malone. maybe its under a weird title..

I had trouble finding it earlier as well, but here it is:

http://vwdiesel.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1352
81 Caddy TD
98 Audi A4 Quattro V6 TDI
83 VW GTI FSP
86 4ktq

Reply #4September 08, 2005, 06:37:04 pm

Maarten

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 06:37:04 pm »
The original downpipe fits the part after the afwaful c-clamped joint if you modify the pipe a bit. Cut the pipe (not the DP) just before the curve, clamp the thing on and weld it back together.

But the original downpipe is very restrictive (from about 55mm down to 40mm on the joint) so there is much to gain in a new downpipe, faster turbospool and better flow at high rpm.

The custom downpipe that is waiting to be fitted on my angine when I find a bigger turbo (Garrett T3 or similar):

70mm  8)
Audi A3 TDI '98
VW cabby '79
VW T3 1.9TD '91

Reply #5September 09, 2005, 09:39:38 am

Northern RD

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 09:39:38 am »
Quote from: "veeman"
>>wow that pipe looks great. thats for a 1.6L TD in a mkI right?

Yep... that's in my caddy right now.  I've still got to paint the thing and put in a brace to the head / block area.  It turned out to be easier than I thought.  My buddy's got a good eye for hacking those bends.

>>want to make a couple more??

Not sure, but I can definitely steer you in the right direction for the parts / bends I used.  It all basically came from summit_racing.  U/J bends and the small braided flex section.  I'll post a better pic soon...

>>i searched, but can't find the post you mentioned by malone. maybe its under a weird title..

I had trouble finding it earlier as well, but here it is:

http://vwdiesel.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1352

I just ran through this and i have to say,
 I like the dog,.... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Fixmyvw.com