S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Hello all and I have some questions about a GTD intercooler  (Read 4633 times)

November 12, 2008, 02:44:48 pm

1outof5

Hello all and I have some questions about a GTD intercooler
« on: November 12, 2008, 02:44:48 pm »
I've been lurking around for a while but haven't posted anything yet. One reason being that the knowledge on this forum is quite amazing and what do I have to input ?

I run a Caddy as a daily, 1.6d as original but the previous owner but in a 1.6TD (JR) and used it on a farm. Anyway long story short, after driving it for 7000 km I think my head gasket is going (about 1L of coolant every 3 days) also using a bit of oil (I just add some when the engine starts "clacking"  :lol:  

So here goes. The cost of doing a HG and head skim is only a little less than getting another 1.6TD. The good bit is that I found a complete GTD intercooler one (80cv) with all the parts (including gearbox)(second hand 190K km).
It was running fine until the car got wrecked.

The injectors where never changed so I'm thinking of doing that while it's on the ground (as well as clutch etc). I've read (not here) that the RA engine injectors were set at 175 bars is this correct?
When you folks talk about GTD injectors are these the same (I'll check the # when I get the engine).
Also, what's the going thoughts on the original K14 setup? Would it be better to move it closer to "air" or transform it into a front IC?

Anything I should check before putting it into the caddy?
Obviously, oil change, belts etc ...

Reply #1November 13, 2008, 03:56:20 pm

TurboJ

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 03:56:20 pm »
The stock intercooler is crap.
No, wait, it's pretty good other than the fact that it gets almost zero air flow.
If you find out a way to duct some cold air from the front of the car to the intercooler, you will notice a real improvement in power.
A front-mount I/C is better of course, but the stock one is actually quite big and the pipe work is short, so it does have advantages.

RA injectors are GTD injectors, as are SB injectors. The engine is 80 hp one in these cases, fitted with the different injectors and the stock intercooler.

Now, as for changing the head gasket, I would bet that's going to have to be done at some point anyway, so I wouldn't choose on that merit whether to change the whole engine. But then, the coolant leak might also be a cracked head, at which point a replacement engine would be a good place to start.
---------------------------------------
Jetta II 1.6 TD 'Project 200'

Reply #2November 13, 2008, 04:08:59 pm

53 willys

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 04:08:59 pm »
it hard to beat those cheap ebay intercoolers..they fit in front really well and they are dirt cheap..my .02

Reply #3November 14, 2008, 04:47:43 am

1outof5

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 04:47:43 am »
Thanks for the answers.
It is the RA engine that I'm getting. I'll have to start negociating with the wife if I can do the HG on it before I swap engines  :lol: (that what the main excuse to buy this one  8) )
Then the dreams start, AAZ HG, ARP studs etc ...

Is the Passat IC setup better compared to the Golf one?

TurboJ, do you know what the GTD injectors are set at?

Reply #4November 14, 2008, 02:17:39 pm

TurboJ

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 02:17:39 pm »
I'm not completely sure, but somehow I remember they were 155 bar.
As for the Passat intercooler, I really wouldn't know as I've never seen one.
It doubt it would be a bolt-on anyway since the front end of the cars are so different. My advice is either to make a cold-air duct for a GTD intercooler, or buy a chinese FMIC out of eBay like I did.
But, cheap as they are, you will end up with more expenses with all the tube work and connectors etc.

Reply #5November 14, 2008, 04:35:45 pm

smutts

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    ClackClackClackClackClack
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 04:35:45 pm »
The other minor hassle with the stock setup is the bend needed in the clutch cable, which is only supplied as the "self adjusting" self destructing bit of dross. You can bodge around it with a standard manual cable and some baling twine, just depends if you are a concours nutter or not. But mine is limey side drive. :wink:

Reply #6November 14, 2008, 04:37:30 pm

smutts

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    ClackClackClackClackClack
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 04:37:30 pm »
:D Ah! This is going through Babelfish by any chance? 8)

Reply #7November 14, 2008, 05:06:12 pm

1outof5

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 05:06:12 pm »
Quote from: "smutts"
The other minor hassle with the stock setup is the bend needed in the clutch cable, which is only supplied as the "self adjusting" self destructing bit of dross. You can bodge around it with a standard manual cable and some baling twine, just depends if you are a concours nutter or not. But mine is limey side drive. :wink:

Any pics available? Pm if you want or email

Reply #8November 14, 2008, 05:07:10 pm

1outof5

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 05:07:10 pm »
Quote from: "smutts"
:D Ah! This is going through Babelfish by any chance? 8)

That's an e-translator right ? No need  8)

Reply #9November 14, 2008, 05:10:36 pm

1outof5

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 05:10:36 pm »
Quote from: "TurboJ"

As for the Passat intercooler, I really wouldn't know as I've never seen one.
It doubt it would be a bolt-on anyway since the front end of the cars are so different. My advice is either to make a cold-air duct for a GTD intercooler, or buy a chinese FMIC out of eBay like I did.
But, cheap as they are, you will end up with more expenses with all the tube work and connectors etc.

The passat has the same engine I believe (SB?) but the IC goes down by the left hand side, same as the G2 GTD but further forward and lower. I was just wondering about "lag" with the extra length of piping.

Reply #10November 14, 2008, 05:28:48 pm

TurboJ

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 05:28:48 pm »
On this picture, you should *just* be able to see the clutch cable (on the left of the intercooler. This shows my car as it was before strip-down - a 100% stock SB engine, just the way they came on Golf/Jetta GTDs between '89-'91.

As for the boost pipe lenghts with stock intercoolers - I doubt you would see any real difference in lag. The total air volume in the system is what makes the difference, and pipes only don't add that much volume.
If stock is what you want, Golf/Jetta GTD intercooler system would be best since it's completely bolt-on. You do need an extra air duct, but that's not too much trouble. There's one additional good thing about these I/Cs - they can take quite a lot of pressure. I know of someone who's running 1.8 bar succesfully with stock GTD intercooler. No leaks so far.

Reply #11November 15, 2008, 03:36:08 am

1outof5

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 03:36:08 am »
Quote from: "TurboJ"
On this picture, you should *just* be able to see the clutch cable (on the left of the intercooler. This shows my car as it was before strip-down - a 100% stock SB engine, just the way they came on Golf/Jetta GTDs between '89-'91 ...

As for the boost pipe lenghts with stock intercoolers - I doubt you would see any real difference in lag. The total air volume in the system is what makes the difference, and pipes only don't add that much volume.
If stock is what you want, Golf/Jetta GTD intercooler system would be best since it's completely bolt-on. You do need an extra air duct, but that's not too much trouble. There's one additional good thing about these I/Cs - they can take quite a lot of pressure. I know of someone who's running 1.8 bar succesfully with stock GTD intercooler. No leaks so far.

1.8bar ! Won't be going there  :!:
So I'll have to figure a nice way to get air to the IC.

Is it simple enough to swap the clutch cable back to a "manual" one ? As in my originlal MK1 ?

Reply #12November 15, 2008, 07:10:43 am

MouseGTD

• Junior

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 07:10:43 am »
one thing to bare in mind if you are doing this into a mk1 is that the master cylinder and break server are on the left hand side of the car. i'm not sure how much room you have in the mk1 bay but i have a mk2 scrirocco (same kinda set up as a mk1 golf engine bay wise i believe) running one of these ic's and the master cylinder gets in the way of it and makes it sit further forward than it should, which made it fowl the radiator fan casing which made it sit too high at the front and stopped the bonnet closing properly.

to rectify this i took the rad casing off and fitted it back on upside down so the fan was further over, i also moved the rad  about an inch further forward to give it a little more room. its not perfect and i'm going to have to fit some kind of vent on to the bonnet to get some air into it but it'll have to do for now till i can either tidy it up and fit it a bit better or get a fmic.

a few pics of how mine sits mine

Reply #13November 15, 2008, 07:22:49 am

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 07:22:49 am »
1.8bar ! Won't be going there  :!:
So I'll have to figure a nice way to get air to the IC.

Is it simple enough to swap the clutch cable back to a "manual" one ? As in my originlal MK1 ?[/quote]

The problem with the GTD cable, is that it is 4" longer than the standard  auto adjust/manual adjust, and has a near right angled bend at the clutch lever end because the intercooler is directly above the lever. If you could drill a hole through the middle of the intercooler and post the cable through there.... Cable was available last year through dealership only. Surprisingly not expensive a tenner IIRC . [Had I known this I would not  have wasted so much time ordering through other outlets who couldn't supply even though they thought they could] :roll:
I've kept the old outer in case I  need to make one in the future.

This is a pic I took to prove to the aftermarket place that the part they issued was merely for the N/A or TD and not the GTD...

The GTD is my mother-in-laws; she's 83 and the oldest GTD driver in the world, unless someone else knows better :wink:
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #14March 03, 2009, 08:52:22 am

1outof5

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 08:52:22 am »
some updates ...

it's taking me a lot more time then I thought to get this engine in the caddy. Not because of the work needed but because of time to do it. Also the cars not at my home which makes it not very easy.

Anyway, the engine is in, gearbox to  :lol:  new mounts
need to adjust all the gear linkages
exhaust needs making

about the IC, I was going to try the "callaway" set-up but no way with the original GTD IC, it sticks too low below the front valance. So I'm going with a front mounted one. The Renault Safrane diesel one looks like a nice fit.

I'm also looking in moving the fuel filter, any reason why it can't be somewhere by the tank ?