Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Hello all and I have some questions about a GTD intercooler  (Read 4634 times)

Reply #15March 03, 2009, 09:46:07 am

anto

Hello all and I have some questions about a GTD intercooler
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 09:46:07 am »
Are those engine bay mounted intercoolers standard on vw golf gtd's?

Reply #16March 03, 2009, 10:22:07 am

BLZEEDUB

• User+

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 10:22:07 am »
Hi anto; another Irish man pitching in here...
From what i know thats how vw decided to mount the GTD intercooler; to the right of the engine (as you look at it) sat above the gearbox.
I plan to use a GTD IC on my AAZ'd Mk1- bought the IC without all the cowling gubbins; Ive been working out if its possible to physically fit it forward of the radiator, and it seems possible (just) once you decide to extend the top rad mounts 'further inwards' towards the engine; the IC inlet and outlet coming out to the right of the rad (near the battery). I think the battery will also need moving up the chassis leg a bit, with the washer bottle being mounted somewhere else (I have a small B2 Passat bottle to mount somewhere else)...
AAZ'd MK1 caddy (WIP)... and B2 Passat 1.6d 2 1.6GTD

Reply #17March 03, 2009, 10:28:02 am

anto

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 10:28:02 am »
BLZEEDUB - Was the gtd released in ireland?

As the intercooler looks to be a good design to mount it in front of the rad on my pug 306. Having inlet and outlet on the same side greatly eases installation for us pug owners....

PS whereabouts are you from BLZEEDUB?

Reply #18March 03, 2009, 10:51:11 am

TurboJ

• Veteran

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 10:51:11 am »
Quote from: "anto"
Are those engine bay mounted intercoolers standard on vw golf gtd's?

No. There was a 70-hp GTD and a 80-hp GTD, the latter having the intercooler, different injectors and a bit more boost.
Both were also available in non-GTD models, ie. CL, GL etc.

Note that if you use the stock intercooler ( engine bay -mounted ) you absolutely have to have the original plastic baffles and stuff, or at least custom baffles. Otherways your I/C will get heat soaked all the time when hot engine room air gets to it from all sides. A good cold air feed also only works right if all the sides of th I/C are properly sealed.
An electric fan would be nice too. A 'pulling' tyoe fan mounted below the I/C would make a difference when used with a proper cold-air feed. Experience tells me a good fan can almost replicate FMIC performance.
---------------------------------------
Jetta II 1.6 TD 'Project 200'

Reply #19March 03, 2009, 10:54:15 am

BLZEEDUB

• User+

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 10:54:15 am »
Im pretty much at t'other end of the country; Co.Tipperary; though occasionally I might make a trip 'up north'...

Im not entireley sure if the Mk2 GTD was ever released here; TBH I dont think so... its a hard question to answer as you see 'GTD engine parts for sale' on a forum here in Ireland, and its actually a IC equipped TD jetta engine or B3 Passat TD engine, that folk now label a GTD engine...
The IC I bought came from a rotten english reg mk2 'genuine' GTD... the  few I have seen on the Irish forums (project cars/members cars) were originally brought in from the UK, so I couldnt say for definite....
AAZ'd MK1 caddy (WIP)... and B2 Passat 1.6d 2 1.6GTD

S-PAutomotive.com