Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Head Gasket  (Read 18250 times)

Reply #45November 11, 2008, 06:33:19 pm

zukgod1

• Veteran

Head Gasket
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2008, 06:33:19 pm »
most auto parts stores stock them.
dan

99 Golf TDI (now CNG powered) , 82 TD Caddy

Reply #46November 11, 2008, 06:36:20 pm

Wayland

• Veteran

Head Gasket
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2008, 06:36:20 pm »
Check the KD tools website. Take the tool # to your local auto parts store. they should be able to order it.
84 Grumman Olsen Kubvan
93 Dodge CTD Truck

Reply #47November 11, 2008, 06:41:07 pm

jackbombay

• Veteran

Head Gasket
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2008, 06:41:07 pm »
Quote from: "zukgod1"
most auto parts stores stock them.

Yep, I would be surprised if the checker in rexburg didn't have them.

Reply #48November 11, 2008, 06:45:32 pm

Luckypabst

• Veteran

Head Gasket
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2008, 06:45:32 pm »
I picked up a set of Mac Tools XZN sockets on Ebay for something like $30, brand new. At the time, the seller had a bunch on there. Try searching for "XZN" and see what you come up with.

Chris
'82 TD Westy
'81 NA Caddy

Reply #49November 12, 2008, 03:22:35 am

maxfax

• Veteran

Head Gasket
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2008, 03:22:35 am »
You've got the 12 mm bolts...  They changed this about 1982 ish... Earlier had 11 mm bolts later were 12mm..   With a NA the standard replacement bolts should be adequate...  The head studs are crucial with the earlier 11mm ones (lots of problems)...  

I did get one of these older 11mm setups with triple square bolts in it though.. I'm suspecting someone may have used gasser bolts in it..  Might be something to double check...

Reply #50November 12, 2008, 07:25:00 pm

79rabbit4dr

Head Gasket
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2008, 07:25:00 pm »
Quote from: "maxfax"
You've got the 12 mm bolts...  They changed this about 1982 ish... Earlier had 11 mm bolts later were 12mm..   With a NA the standard replacement bolts should be adequate...  The head studs are crucial with the earlier 11mm ones (lots of problems)...  

I did get one of these older 11mm setups with triple square bolts in it though.. I'm suspecting someone may have used gasser bolts in it..  Might be something to double check...

Crap, I have an '81... but's definately a triple square in there. Once I get my triple square bit (http://vwdiesel.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=17208) I'll pull a bolt from both my 81 diesel and my 79 gasser and compare. Then i'm taking them into the fastenal store and seeing what some quality bolts would run me. then i'll decide to get oem or fastenal.

Quote from: "jackbombay"
Yep, I would be surprised if the checker in rexburg didn't have them.

been there, they only had 6pt star. Called napa, they "have one set aside" for me, we'll see. if not, i'll order a 4pc set from checkers that Dan (zukgod) gave me a PN for in the discussion listed above.

Reply #51November 12, 2008, 09:05:51 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

Head Gasket
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2008, 09:05:51 pm »
Quote from: "79rabbit4dr"
Crap, I have an '81... but's definately a triple square in there.  

I thought so that's why I mentioned that...   Maybe you are lucky and someone swapped in a later engine...   I ran into this on the very first VW I had...  I was back and fourth with the autoparts several times till we got it figured out... :x

IF you end up going to Fastenall let us know what you make out.. I've pretty much given up on the local store..   I say metric they say  :shock:  :?:

Reply #52November 12, 2008, 09:27:04 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Head Gasket
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2008, 09:27:04 pm »
I compete *use the word loosely* with fastenal. I sell nuts and bolts as well and from the fastenal guys around here they pretty much know nothing about fasteners. The one guy that works for them I went to school with and he has 4 national contracts suppling bolts to companies and I am in my first year and almost do as much business as he does. He and some others just take orders and deliver.
That being said, alot of fasteners are automotive only and some warehouses will only sell if you are set up as an automotive vendor. But just becuase it is metric doestn't mean it is automotive. I can usually get whatever I need for my car. I am still waiting on an answer from SPS unbrako about my superstrength head bolts though.

Reply #53November 12, 2008, 09:45:29 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

Head Gasket
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2008, 09:45:29 pm »
Wal Mart greeters of the fasnter world????  We have Fastenal retail store here and talk about a bunch of @&# ups, and the rep (soon to me former) that stops by the shop here isn;t much better...   I'm in the process of switching to a local operation that has been amazing so far... I gotta remeber to ask them about studs...    Aside from the givens the company I'm switching to can get me just 1 or 2 of an odd bolt/nut...  Seems like everytime I needed something strange from Fastenal I would have tou buy it in quantities of 25 or more.. :x

Reply #54November 13, 2008, 02:46:12 am

79rabbit4dr

Head Gasket
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2008, 02:46:12 am »
I thought so that's why I mentioned that...   Maybe you are lucky and someone swapped in a later engine...

12mm triple square it is!!! I pulled the gassers head bolts out and i'll have the diesel ones out tomorrow to compare then take to Fastenal.

IF you end up going to Fastenall let us know what you make out

Will do, Anybody know what sort of specs to ask for in a head bolt?

Reply #55November 13, 2008, 06:31:31 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Head Gasket
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2008, 06:31:31 am »
Please don't go to them LOL
If you are getting bolts it should be easy for them to get you a socket head cap screw with 12.9 stamped on the head. This certification is stronger than grade 8 and metric 10.9. They should be M12x1.75 thread. If you are looking for studs I don't think fastenal will have anything for you.
MSC has SPS unbrako, but fastenal doesn't  :D . At MSC though you will pay 10 times what they are worth and still no studs.

Reply #56November 13, 2008, 12:04:34 pm

79rabbit4dr

Head Gasket
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2008, 12:04:34 pm »
Quote from: "theman53"
Please don't go to them LOL

I know you said you sell "nuts and bolts" but you also said you're "waiting on an answer..." about supplying head bolts. I assumed that meant you didn't sell head bolts but maybe you were just saying you don't carry SPS unbrako's just yet...? Do you have a website? How much for quality head bolts shipped to 83440? Sell any other vw parts or just fastener type stuff?

Reply #57April 23, 2009, 02:30:01 am

79rabbit4dr

Head Gasket
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2009, 02:30:01 am »
Well SHIZ!!!!!

finally got good enough weather again to do my HG swap and the bolts won't fit. I think I understand now what you were saying Maxfax. Triple square 11mm's? Is that what I have?

-gasser head bolt
-my used diesel engine bolt
-new bolts

as you can see in the above pix, the gasser ones (top) all have that step-up right after the threads whereas the diesel ones i removed (middle) and the newly purchased ones (bottom) don't.

Reply #58April 23, 2009, 04:07:53 am

maxfax

• Veteran

Head Gasket
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2009, 04:07:53 am »
That is what you have, but that ain;t right..  The 11mm diesels all had allen heads..  I pulled a few apart with repeat HG failures and found 11mm triple square bolts. THe issue was they used gasser bolts..

Someone put the wrong thing in there at some point..   You're top bolt is kinda interesting though..  Alot beefier than the one out of your diesel...

At this point you need to inspect around the bolt holes in your block very closely for cracks..   Generally these things don;t crack from running but from torquing the thing during reassembly..

I'm gonna plead and beg, sell a kidney and get the head studs..  Here's a fun little story about why-

My current 81 daily driver..  The PO replaced the HG and it blew in about 5000 miles..  I bought it ($50 Yeah!) I yanked the head and sent it to be refurbed..  WHen I got it back I cleaned the block looked for cracks, chased all the hole with a tap and blew them out. Last step of the torque procedure on the last bolt there was an eerie sound and the bolt got real loose..

Round two..  Grabbed another engine from my pile o parts..  Had this block magnafluxed. It was good to go.. Another gasket and another set of bolts to be safe..  Put it together and worked great..  Put 1000 miles on it and did the retorque..   Oil in the coolant almost right away..  Pulled the head, block was cracked at the bolt hole where the oil goes up to the head..  I did manage to baby another 20K out of it by installing head studs with thread sealer but it's back to spewing oil to the coolant..

I'm in the process of building another engine right now.. 12mm this time 8)   At this point I have far more than the cost of head studs in a boat anchor..

Interestingly enough the original HG tossed it's cookies in my former Frankenbunny right after the above ordeal..  I used head studs right from the getgo.. The new owner has about 40K on the thing now..

Reply #59April 23, 2009, 12:17:35 pm

79rabbit4dr

Head Gasket
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2009, 12:17:35 pm »
yeah... I think I might... we'll be getting more back on our refund than anticipated so I'll probably just order those and see what I can do about returning these bolts for credit on something else...

THANKS!!!

Fixmyvw.com