Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: ARP studs, what torque?  (Read 2197 times)

August 27, 2008, 09:36:40 pm

oldskool rich

• Veteran

ARP studs, what torque?
« on: August 27, 2008, 09:36:40 pm »
my ARP studs have just arrived, im so excited, i put them straight on my 1Z project then my 2.0 ALH. i went up to 108 nm as thats what it surgested on the packet, was thinking that it didnt seem much, should i go tighter? im gona be running 35psi and very agressive driving, will this be ok?

most people on here are running ARPs arnt they? what did you do them up to? i used the special grease  :wink:

f6squared I.D.S.T

Reply #1August 28, 2008, 12:12:49 am

jackbombay

• Veteran

ARP studs, what torque?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 12:12:49 am »
Theres a special torquing sequence for them actually, for the TDIs at least, IIRC its torque to 70 ft/lbs loosen, tighten to 70, loosen, repeat 5 times then torque to 85?

Below is a link to a thread on TDIclub that has the procedure, I have no idea what page its on, maybe 5, 6 or 7? As usuall the signal to noise ratio there is terrible, but he correct procedure is burried in there somewhere.

I was surprised when I bought my ARPs that there was no mention of the torquing procedure in the instructions, n one hand they say you have to do it on the other its as if they keep it a secret  :?

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=132477

EDIT// the procedure was right there on the first page, here it is, this is assuming you are using the special grease.

9. Use the torque wrench to tighten to 70lbs.
10. Loosen it completely using a normal socket wrench.
11. Use the torque wrench to tighten to 70lbs.
12. Loosen it completely using a normal socket wrench.
13. Use the torque wrench to tighten to 70lbs.
14. Loosen it completely using a normal socket wrench.
15. Use the torque wrench to tighten to 70lbs.
16. Loosen it completely using a normal socket wrench.
17. Use the torque wrench to tighten to the final 80lbs.
18. Hooray! You've installed your first headstud, now just repeat steps #5-17 over and over again until you're done.

S-PAutomotive.com