S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: mk 1 & 2 questions  (Read 2592 times)

February 21, 2008, 09:43:01 am

vik F

• User+

mk 1 & 2 questions
« on: February 21, 2008, 09:43:01 am »
first off, great site here, lots of info ( for me to learn )

I need some help from the minds here....debating swapping my 91 TD into a carbed 86 cabrio or 82 carbed scirocco.  Basically want to use the 91 as it donor.  The 91 is currently my DD.

I would want to have this rebuilt -  new 1.9 td head, hone block, maybe up size 1 pistons, gilles pump, newer injectors ( been advised to grab some merc TD units)   etc... b4 the swap

questions I have are:

does the dash swap over / fit or is it too wide? or simplier to use exisiting dash, and fit appropriate clusters.

cabby currently has NO climate hardware, will the 91's hardware ( heater core, blower fans, etc ) fit?  AC would be nice too, but not a deal breaker.

pertty sure the 91 recaros fit in the cabby, not sure about the 'rocco, can anybody confirm either way?

any info u can share will be greatly appreciated.

Reply #1February 21, 2008, 12:07:49 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
mk 1 & 2 questions
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 12:07:49 pm »
dashes are not a direct swap either way. In the rabbit the mk2 dash is too wide but it can be used, you'll have indents on your door panels though

Not sure about roccos. Roccos never had diesels so you will not find a diesel cluster

Climate control does not swap over but it can be made to work

Recaros will fit in either
Tyler

Reply #2February 21, 2008, 04:22:32 pm

Quantum TD

• Veteran

mk 1 & 2 questions
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 04:22:32 pm »
Answers:
1) Dash is wider, but I've seen it put in there. I'm sure there's a thread on vwvortex where someone shows how its done.

2) Heater components from the Cabrio and Scirocco are completely different from the MK II, but they are identical to eachother. So, you could use the Scirocco heater/AC box in your Cabrio.

3) The Recaros will fit the Scirocco, but you may hit your head when you enter the car, esp. if you're tall. The original Scirocco seats are low slung in relation to all other MK 1 and 2 cars. This was done to accomodate the streamlined roof line.  If you use your Recaros, they'll sit higher and not acheive the same depth as the original Scirocco seats, unless you have power Recaros. You'll approach the same depth if you have power bases on your Recaros, but it won't be identical.

Personal thoughts: if the Rocco is clean, I'd put the TD lump in that instead.

Reply #3February 21, 2008, 04:58:33 pm

vik F

• User+

mk 1 & 2 questions
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 04:58:33 pm »
thx guys

point of clarification

I own the cabby, but can pick up a clean, fully restored scirocco.

Reply #4February 22, 2008, 01:46:32 pm

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

mk 1 & 2 questions
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 01:46:32 pm »
none of the stuff you had concern with really has all that much to do with installing that engine and driving around. all that stuff is nice to have and it can all be done for sure. recaros will probably slide right in if you get the right years...

the engine swap itself isn't dependant on a whole lot other than a good glow plug system, power to the fuel solenoid... remove or restrict pressure from the fuel pump in the gasser... stuff like that. lots of posts on here about it. have fun  :mrgreen:

Fixmyvw.com