S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Quantum Syncro + 2.0 L Audi TD, project for sale...  (Read 26522 times)

Reply #75October 12, 2005, 12:58:54 pm

veeman

• Veteran

Quantum Syncro + 2.0 L Audi TD, project for sale...
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2005, 12:58:54 pm »
Yeah... Updates?  I really want to hear how this project turns out...  All-wheel-drive, five-cylinders and diesel?   Those are three great ingredients!
81 Caddy TD
98 Audi A4 Quattro V6 TDI
83 VW GTI FSP
86 4ktq

Reply #76October 12, 2005, 11:58:17 pm

jackbombay

• Veteran

« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2005, 11:58:17 pm »
It should be here this week  :)

Reply #77October 29, 2005, 10:02:41 am

greggearhead

• Junior

« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2005, 10:02:41 am »
Bump!
Caddy (TD Project), Caddy 1.6D, etc etc.

Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection

Reply #78October 31, 2005, 12:06:37 pm

jackbombay

• Veteran

« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2005, 12:06:37 pm »
The set-backs just keep on coming.

I paid for the low mile used engine on Oct 2, it was supposed to ship the next day and be here is 4-5 days. I called them a week and a half later, "It'll ship out today" OK... I call back another week and a half later, "It did not ship because it did not pass a test we just got 2 more and you will get the better of the 2"
"You need to call me with the details of the engine before you ship"

That was a week ago; they are now going to refund my money, which is what I was going to ask for actually.

This project has not gone smoothly and I am back to square 1 WRT to acquiring a running engine. I am also moving in a month and a half, end result? My loss is your ______!!!!! Anybody interested in what I have can come get it. I'll start a thread in the for sale section.

Where is the project now? The gas-diesel conversion of the car is all finished, it just needs a running engine. The swap was %95 finished when I found the engine was bad.

At this point all that needs done is to find a suitable 2.0 TD and bolt it in, the drivers side motor mount has to be switched onto the TD and the front valence needs to be welded or bolted back in.

:?

Reply #79October 31, 2005, 03:22:31 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2005, 03:22:31 pm »
Oh dear...
That's 18 months of effort down the the pan  :cry:
Ah well look at all that knowledge acquired!

You must be as sick as a pig. Heck I'm feeling sick too...

(Not so much because of your loss  but more because I looked under the back of my temporary Quantum to put a tow hitch on)
 My usual one is off road being 'immaculatized' and a lump of car fell in my eye. When I pulled the piece of chassis off my face I peered up to where the bodywork meets the floor behind the spare wheel well and found that it doesn't!
 :shock: This is the pretty view and I'll take an ugly view later!
http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/1957/goldpassat3am.jpg
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #80November 01, 2005, 09:49:49 am

veeman

• Veteran

« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2005, 09:49:49 am »
Wow... I'm sorry to hear that.  Major bummer.  I've been in that situation before and it's always depressing.  I was looking forward to seeing that one up and running.

Just recently, I was hoping someone would chime in and refute the bad experiences regarding 5-cyl TD's reported in this thread:

http://www.vwdiesel.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2285

I hope someone will pick up this project and run with it.  Someone out there's got to have a nice running 5-cyl to slap in that thing...  With winter coming up the QSWTD should be just the ticket.   If you were closer, jack... I'd be very interested...
81 Caddy TD
98 Audi A4 Quattro V6 TDI
83 VW GTI FSP
86 4ktq

Reply #81November 01, 2005, 11:36:09 am

jackbombay

• Veteran

« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2005, 11:36:09 am »
Quote from: "Mark(The Miser)UK"
Oh dear...
That's 18 months of effort down the the pan  :cry:
Ah well look at all that knowledge acquired!

You must be as sick as a pig. Heck I'm feeling sick too...

I learned a fair bit for sure, and I have been slowly accepting the idea that this was a potentiall outcome of it all so I'm not feeling too down in the dumps about it.

At this point I want to start saving my pennies for a 4wd Toyta pickup for a TDI swap, I want to lower it and make it as car like as possible, toyota reliablility with Diesel power/economy.

Quote from: "veeman"
Just recently, I was hoping someone would chime in and refute the bad experiences regarding 5-cyl TD's reported in this thread:

I read that too, and was supprised/dissapointed by his expiriences.

I hope someone will pick up this project and run with it.  Someone out there's got to have a nice running 5-cyl to slap in that thing...  With winter coming up the QSWTD should be just the ticket.   If you were closer, jack... I'd be very interested...

I love to see someone finish it off, transporting it at this point is of course a hassle without an engine...

Reply #82November 01, 2005, 12:37:25 pm

VWRacer

• Veteran

« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2005, 12:37:25 pm »
Quote from: "jackbombay"

Jack, I just read that entire thread again, and I don't see any "bad experiences". All I see is that the timing belt is maxed out and absolutely must be changed on time - which we all know. And didn't I also read somewhere that the 5- & 6-cyl engines have some issues with the main bearings needing help with oiling at high RPMs?

To me those aren't bad experiences - they are just typical hot rodding considerations. I hope you aren't letting your disappointment over a couple of bad junk yard motor heads get you this far down. In your mood, I suggest you not sell the car. Set it aside for a while and work on something else that's more rewarding in the short term. If you 'give this car away' you will regret it!

I for one will keep my eye out for a good running 5-cyl down here in the Bay Area for you. I get up to your neck of the woods often enough that if you end up buying one I can drag it up there for you in a reasonable amount of time.

Cheer up mate!  :lol:
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #83November 01, 2005, 12:59:50 pm

jackbombay

• Veteran

« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2005, 12:59:50 pm »
Quote from: "VWRacer"
Quote from: "jackbombay"

Jack, I just read that entire thread again, and I don't see any "bad experiences".

Quote from: "DutchTouch"
The 2.0 5000 TD motor was good for max of 140 to 150k miles before oil consumption or cracked compression rings caused problems. I drove mine into the ground, bored the motor and did 1 over pistons, and it was burning a quart of oil every 800 miles within 260k miles.

I have no problems with changing a T-belt every 40K or whenever it's needed, good for a max of 150K is less than I expected though, taken with a grain of salt for sure, but he des have some expirience with the 5 banger.

I looked all over for one of these 2.0 TDs, I called close to every wrecker in the state of Oregon and most of them in Washington, plus did many on-line nationwide seaches, no dice. That combined with the fact that I am moving soon, and well, it has to go.

Reply #84November 08, 2005, 06:28:31 pm

v8volvo

• Junior

• http://www.cardomain.com/profile/v8volvo
« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2005, 06:28:31 pm »
Here's a 2.0 Audi diesel five for $300 in Olympia, WA. Rebuilt head, needs a set of rings but that takes no more than an afternoon if you have the tools. Doesn't say if it is a turbo or not but that is a secondary consideration. Has a spare injector pump too. Damn, if I wasn't in college all the way across the country I'd sell my Rabbit and finish up this swap instead. But you might consider snatching this engine and doing it yourself...
http://seattle.craigslist.org/pts/104730005.html

Fixmyvw.com