S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: T3 Westy Atlantic AAZ project.  (Read 20624 times)

October 05, 2006, 03:47:02 pm

Baxter

T3 Westy Atlantic AAZ project.
« on: October 05, 2006, 03:47:02 pm »
Okay, I sold my old intercooled GTD Bus and with the funds and a bit of spending money I bought a VW T3 (Vanagon) Westfalia Atlantic. I've wanted one for ages but not been able to afford one, after the sale of the Nato green GTD bus I had some money and a friend found what I wanted in Germany on E-bay, duly bit at it and won.
So, with the garage being snowed under with work I was unable to collect it so I dropped my friend off at the airport with a bag of money and off he went to Germany to bring me my winnings!
I don't think most of you will have heard of a "Atlantic" So a bit of history first..
In the UK, we didn't get Westfalia campers, all the UK ones are converted here generaly quite badly from low spec builders vans hence me wanting the right thing and having to get one from Germany, anyway... If you went to a dealer in Germany and asked for a camper you would either get the standard "Joker" model, or the slightly higher spec "Club Joker", the club joker having nicer seats, double glazing and a few other trinkets. In 1988 VW discontinued the Joker and Club Joker (But still available from other sources[wesfalia themselves?]) and replaced them with "California" and "Atlantic", the California being the lower spec one and the "Atlantic" being the higher spec on, again having nicer interior, full body kit, double glazing, digital timer for the auxilliary heating, electic mirrors etc. I think the spec is similar to the Vanagon GL camper you got, but with side planks.
Although, unlike US/Can exports we could get Turbo Diesels! Yey!
The engine is basically a 1.6TD with solid lifters and laid over at 50 degrees to fit it in the engine bay with a different LDA that lays on it's side as not to poke through the engine lid and disturb your nights sleep.
Van was a bit poorly (and slow/smokey/uneconomical) when I got it so it had a full dose of salts to bring it back to a state nearing a good state of tune, cam and pump timing set, bucket and shims adjusted etc..
So, I am running it around at the moment with the standard 70bhp lump in it while I build a AAZ which came as part payment of a job, although the engine was meant to be a runner I didn't trust it so I have pulled it in pieces to find slight damage to the nose of the crank.
Now, Im not sure how naughty this is but the damage didn't seem too bad so I have MIGged the damage up and carefully filed back the mig to close the gap up, ordered a new bolt (the original was a un modded one) and a new pulley and trial fitted it with excellent results (No movement) I do have a dead TDI outside the garage which I thought I could steal the crank from if needs be but I am confident in my crank nose repair (unless anone has any horror stories about them failling?).

I have already fitted a 25 row 235mm oil cooler up front with a thermostatically controlled take off sandwichplate in prepaeration of me meddling in the future..

The spec I am aiming for at the moment..

1.9l TD AAZ
GTD nozzles.
K14 on T3 TD exhaust manifold (I have a garret too, not too sure which to use)
Bleed valve.
AAZ injection pump, GTD pump top, governer mod, 10mm head and rotor , T3 throttle linkage.
Oil cooler (already done)
"1Y" inlet manifold. (Looks like a petrol inlet but has D shaped ports)
Charge cooler.
Water injection.
EGT, Boost, Oil pressure and Temp gauges.

Basically I can make this a more or less VW lego bolt together conversion, I have done a few standard ones for customers using the 1.6TD T3 as a base engine, I will only have to make a couple of things to make it work.
The oil feed pipe for the turbo will be made from fresh steel tube.
The oil return in the back of the block will be blocked off and the oil will drain direct to the sump a'la 1.6TD as when the engine is canted over to 50 degrees the oil doesn't like to flow up hill out of the turbo.
I am looking for a suitable charge cooler to sit behind the left hand rear light unit and I have 8" x 8" x 11" to play with, the 1Y inlet manifold will just need a 90 degree bend to go to this area.

A couple of links..

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/VehicleSpecific/T3/info/mods/aaz.htm

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/VehicleSpecific/T3/info/mods/diesel.htm

Piccies to follow...

Mods, please feel free to move this to another section if needs bee, I wasn't exactly sure where I should be posting it!  :oops:

Reply #1October 05, 2006, 05:10:03 pm

Baxter

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 05:10:03 pm »
Okay, first picture is a quick mock up of how things may sit.
The engine is on the stand being stripped, I just hung things off it just to get my head around how things will sit.

The inlet manifold is the "1Y" item, The exhaust manifold and turbo are the factory "JX" items as per the 1.6TD T3 in Europe.

The picture below is of the port side of the manifold.

The inlet tube size is quite large (70 odd mm) so I may make up another piece to bolt on to reduce the diameter to keep it inline with the charge cooler plumbing.

Reply #2October 05, 2006, 10:21:40 pm

HarryMann

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 10:21:40 pm »
Mmm, that manifold saves a lot of re-working of the 1.6 item, and a lot JB Weld too...  :)

Gonna be both the best diesel camper in the UK and a real flyer too then - water injection?

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/dc/dc.html Aquamist did the recent JCB world record breaking diesel car's water injection and they have a pump just waiting for you  !

Reply #3October 06, 2006, 01:48:45 pm

Baxter

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 01:48:45 pm »
Quote from: libbybapa
Use the all aluminum (so it doesn't pop when you up the boost) Saab 900 intercooler (charge cooler?).  

Andrew

Sorry, Heh, I've had this discussion with Harry Mann!

In the UK, for some reason we call a air to water intercooler a charge cooler, a air to air intercooler is a a plain old intercooler.

Is the Saab item a air to air or air to water cooler?

Reply #4October 06, 2006, 07:46:41 pm

Otis2

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 07:46:41 pm »
Saab unit is air-to-air.

Double glazed windows?  Are you serious?  All of them?  

Pics, please.  I'm having trouble imagining that.

Reply #5October 06, 2006, 07:49:54 pm

935racer

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 07:49:54 pm »
Wow that intake manifold is ten thousand times better than any of the vw turbo diesel manifolds we got on this side of the pond.

Reply #6October 06, 2006, 08:18:47 pm

wolfsburgnut

• Junior

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 08:18:47 pm »
Hey Dave,
First of all thanks for the clutch, looks awesome and was packed really well, and second could you get some of those 1Y intake manifolds?

Peter
1995 Golf 1.9
1994 Golf Marathon
1990 Golf 1.8
1986 Golf Wolfsburg Ed.

Reply #7October 07, 2006, 05:27:23 am

Baxter

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 05:27:23 am »
Quote from: wolfsburgnut
Hey Dave,
First of all thanks for the clutch, looks awesome and was packed really well, and second could you get some of those 1Y intake manifolds?

Peter

There is a VW scrap yard down the bottom of the road, thats where I picked mine up, when Im down next I will grab a batch if there are any, not something that really sells as, well, they never go wrong!
There are some different ones, with EGR etc, I'll see whats avaailable.

Pictures?
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8583&PN=2

Reply #8October 07, 2006, 12:50:30 pm

Baxter

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 12:50:30 pm »
Okay, just been outside with the camera for a few piccies...

Fuel filler fitted.

Beauty rings fitted to speedo and rev counter, note Diesel revcounter!

Starting point of engine conversion, a bog standard 1.6TD, note the oil cooler sandwich plate and assoc. pipework.

Oil cooler take off plate fitted.

Air filter airbox (You will see why I posted this in a few months when I have the AAZ running!)

A couple of pictures of the double glazing someone asked for.. Only the rear windows are double glazed, the cab glass is green tinted, the left hand middle window is a bottom opener as it were, there are sliding ones out there, quite rare though.

Nasty OEM "ATLANTIC" sticker on front panel.

Westy roof without luggage rack, suitable for campers with sunroofs!

[/img]

Reply #9October 07, 2006, 01:00:31 pm

HarryMann

• Junior

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 01:00:31 pm »
... and its incredibly quiet with all that soundproofing around the engine - at the moment, eh?

Reply #10October 07, 2006, 01:17:11 pm

Baxter

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006, 01:17:11 pm »
Yeah, really quiet, Im not sure how and whybut it seems that the Atlantic does come with more sound deadening that other T3's.
It also has the extra cover over the exhaust box that is also insulated.

As fas as I am lead to believe there were 950 atlantics made, 500 of them pop tops so they ain't exactly thick on the ground, only available in 3 colours, Alpine white, Calypso green and a Kirsch red.

More info on Atlantic and California models here.
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8537&KW=atlantic

Reply #11October 07, 2006, 01:39:44 pm

Baxter

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2006, 01:39:44 pm »
Quote from: 935racer
Wow that intake manifold is ten thousand times better than any of the vw turbo diesel manifolds we got on this side of the pond.

The manifold is from the non turbo version of the AAZ, It's like a AAZ, but just non turbo, it was fitted to the Seat based Caddy, MKIII Golf 1.9D and a few other things, after that was the SDI, which again is the direct injection non turbo Diesel engine, this was also 1.9l.

Reply #12August 15, 2008, 06:15:03 pm

Baxter

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 06:15:03 pm »
Okay, it's been a while but I am getting there, honest!

Had this engine kicking about for a bit, just never seem to get the time to fettle it, but it's almost ready to drop in now so I thought I would share some pictures of it.

Spec.
Bog standard Vege 1.9TD "AAZ"
Specially built hybrid turbo with larger compressor.
"1X" (1.9D from T4) inlet manifold with breather removed and custom plug fabricated to act as feed for LDA.
Custom inlet manifold adapter in 2 1/4" to suit charge cooler piping, hopefully left enough room for possible water injection in the future.
Pace single core charge cooler.
Exhaust manifold refaced and fitted with EGT probe.
Rover boost pin for the LDA.
Stainless steel 2 1/2" straight though exhaust system with adjustable dangle angle tail pipe (later '89 on style - larger box, hopefully quieter!). - available to buy soon!
TDI flywheel, lightened and clearanced to suit JX *** cover.
TDI clutch and input shaft.
Turbosmart boost controller
New Meyle oil pump, sump painted black to help with cooling.
Mocal thermostatic oil cooler take off with 25 row Setrab oil cooler.
VDO oil pressure, oil temp, boost and EGT gauges to fit (Wiring run)
Brickwerks throttle lever kit, oil return line kit, block bung etc.
Lots of silicone hoses!
K&N Apollo air box.
New Meyle engine mounts.
All new water housings ans genuine sender units.
This will be coupled to a rebuilt AAR gearbox, which is a AAP gearbox but with a Limited Slip Diff, Diff is currently in pieces being rebuilt.

Lots of new bearings to fit to the gearbox! oh, and a few synchros too!

German Ambulance (Krankenwagen) genuine VW brand new trailing arms to fit (these have anti roll bar brakets fitted!)
Genuine VW rear antirollbar kit to fit, Brackets are the only bits I cannot find a part number for so my machine shop is making some to weld to the chassis legs.

I'm looking for a reliable 100bhp, a bit more torque and some decent mpg and the most of all, be able to climb hills with the family aboard!

Pictures.

It's a bit dusty, should have given it a clean and taken pictures nearer the door I think!

:)

Reply #13August 15, 2008, 06:32:02 pm

zukgod1

• Veteran

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 06:32:02 pm »
First off let me drool er I mean comment on your engine, yummy.

Second, you should be gathering up those intake and exhaust manifolds and selling them to us over here..

We would love to have those available to us..
dan

99 Golf TDI (now CNG powered) , 82 TD Caddy

Reply #14August 15, 2008, 10:14:00 pm

Vincent Waldon

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• My collection of HOWTOs
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 10:14:00 pm »
Keep the great pictures and stories coming as you work thru it !!

That exhaust makes me think of my first Beetle !   :cry:

Vince
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3, 1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta