Model Specific Questions and Info > MK2 Golf/Jetta and Audi 5k

Heat Shield Usage for Compresson Test

<< < (2/6) > >>

ORCoaster:
Now all that makes perfect sense but I don't remember my HF adapter looking like that.  So I will have to dig it out and study it.  But yeah, there seems to be a lot of that variability in the HF or other Cheap knock off tools.  Sometimes they are decent and sometimes they are trash. 

Mine was much better at registering the proper pressure as I stated.  Didn't think about the extra unchecked volume as you have shown. 

I will have to dig deep for the case that contains the kit.  Have been fortunate enough to not need it for a while now.  Will take a few days to find time to do that. 

Thanks for the reply. 

thomas m:
My HF kit, in the red box, also has compression adapters for the glow plug holes. The Schrader valve is right there in the tip of the adapter thereby eliminating the extra volume problem of the HF injector adapter. There is also an elbow adapter that will (or might, as I have not tried it) allow for the limited space around the glow plug holes and behind the pump. However, I seem to remember someone saying that there is some reason not to use the glow plug adapter to check the compression. I don't know why. Maybe just an access issue???

libbydiesel:
Interesting.  Which HF kit do you have?  I looked at the glow plug adapters of both of the kits they currently sell and they are hollow in the same way as the injector adapter. 

libbydiesel:

As I mentioned, I looked at the adapters in the 'professional' kit also and they are all hollow. 

thomas m:

--- Quote from: libbydiesel on November 10, 2020, 04:57:56 pm ---Interesting.  Which HF kit do you have?  I looked at the glow plug adapters of both of the kits they currently sell and they are hollow in the same way as the injector adapter. 

--- End quote ---
My kit is the HF US General 93644. All of the chrome glow plug adapters, short and long, have the Schrader valve at the tip, nearer the piston. I'll try to get some photos up.
If the accuracy of the HF gauge is questionable, McMaster and Grainger have some better quality (I guess) gauges for $12 to $25 and, yes, for a lot $$$$$ more. I would rather get a better quality gauge rather than another comp test kit which could be spendy and possibly no better.

Adapter to gauge connector on far left.    12 mm x 1.25 (3 on left) and other longer adapters.

Closer look at the Schrader valves in the tip of the adapter:

Gauge connector screws on to top of glow plug adapter. There is a 90 degree elbow for this in the kit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version