S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Will start, but won't run...  (Read 2894 times)

June 29, 2014, 11:56:34 pm

akrallysport

Will start, but won't run...
« on: June 29, 2014, 11:56:34 pm »
Finally got around to firing up the 1.6D in my Rabbit after pulling it, cleaning it, re-installing it with my version of the pimped out GP wiring. After making my own cam and pump locking tools I went ahead with the t-belt replacement. I struggled for a bit with the crank, but realized my mistake by listening to my gut (misread the flywheel mark). Installed it properly and manually rotated the engine to confirm, followed by priming of the injection and oil pumps.

When it came time to crank, I ran into a wall as I just got the starter clicking. Impossible... I used the same battery in December to boost my BMW and my mom's mk5 2.5 at -30C this winter I charge it regularly to maintain it when stored indoors. Once I got the charger on, I noticed the voltage fluctuating which was corrected by putting the -ve of the charger on the block instad of the -ve terminal. With the 60A boost, I got it to crank and primed the lines and injectors. Got around to cranking and it nearly fired. So, I manually set the GPs off for 3 secs, cranked again and it started beautifully, but it only lasted for 3-4 secs until it died. Revs smooth un startup too... Anyways here are the thing I might have problems with:

- incorrect timing advance on the cold start lever
- Injectors rebuilt, but not pop tested
- injection timing not set
- questionable bettery -ve
- dead battery
(the latter 2 could also affect the fuel cutoff and the non-functioning accessories.

Any input is appreciated...

Reply #1June 30, 2014, 12:54:52 am

Renax

• Junior

Re:
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 12:54:52 am »
Seriously doubt that battery issues will affect the fuel cutoff. That solenoid will open if attached to a tiny 9v battery.

Injection timing is probably your problem, if you don't have clatter, advance timing.

Sent from my cheapchinaphone using Tapatalk

-89 Caravelle Coach 1.6TD (too be holset powered) Daily driver
-80 Golf 1.6D

Reply #2June 30, 2014, 12:57:27 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

Re: Will start, but won't run...
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 12:57:27 am »
Did the pump sit long enough to dry out?

Reply #3June 30, 2014, 12:57:50 am

Renax

• Junior

Re:
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 12:57:50 am »
Or the pump just need to give more diesel, try to give it a little throttle while cranking and running, if it dies when releasing throttle then that's you problem

Sent from my cheapchinaphone using Tapatalk

-89 Caravelle Coach 1.6TD (too be holset powered) Daily driver
-80 Golf 1.6D

Reply #4June 30, 2014, 08:58:34 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 08:58:34 am »
You probably have air in the lines.

Reply #5June 30, 2014, 05:48:06 pm

akrallysport

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 05:48:06 pm »
Seriously doubt that battery issues will affect the fuel cutoff. That solenoid will open if attached to a tiny 9v battery.
Injection timing is probably your problem, if you don't have clatter, advance timing.

That's what I figured. Drove most of the way home once (4hrs) with a broken alt. cable running just daytime running lights on my old 97. Not hiccup from the engine. Yeah, not too much clatter...

Did the pump sit long enough to dry out?

Yes, kind of... I capped all of the ends when I removed it over a year ago and only drained it a month ago. However, I did prime it yesterday so it should be full of fresh diesel.

Or the pump just need to give more diesel, try to give it a little throttle while cranking and running, if it dies when releasing throttle then that's you problem

Nope, it has a mind of its own. It won't stay running no matter how much I stomp on the pedal.

You probably have air in the lines.

I'm narrowing it down to incorrect timing advance and air in the lines.

Reply #6July 01, 2014, 08:42:02 pm

akrallysport

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 08:42:02 pm »
Ok. Some progress given that I'm doing this for the first time AND by ear, but my engineering student mind is begging for the proper tools.

Got the air out of the lines and started playing around with the pump timing. After a couple of tries, I went from lots of grey smoke  to almost no smoke and being able to run it, idle while holding the cold-start out... leads me to believe more timing is needed. As I have a couple of days out of town, I'll order the timing tools and get this over with.

This has me excited... and wanting to build an AAZ for the Wabbit.  ;D

Also, battery and grounds are fine... looks like I'm dealing with some funky wiper, turn signal wiring.

Reply #7August 25, 2014, 09:06:02 pm

akrallysport

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 09:06:02 pm »
Alright, been working on it on and off due to simply wanting to sit in the Adirondack chairs with a cold after coming home from working on racecars all day. Lately I've made a big push, including quickly recovering my dash with black felt. To the point, I've sorted out the wiring problems and finally got around to ordering a timing tool... and survey says:

1.10mm

Time to back it off a bit...  :P I'll save that for tomorrow morning as I was sweating in the dark. Just need to chase the threads on the rear engine/trans mount and I'll be going on her first test drive other than on and off the trailer.

Reply #8September 15, 2014, 12:22:38 am

akrallysport

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 12:22:38 am »
Been busier than expected, but got most of my parts organized. The starter let go when I wanted to re-bleed everything, so that set me back until I could get a rebuild done. Got that taken care of on Friday, picked it up on Sat morning and installed just as the skies opened up and started pouring. Got around to bleeding the lines again, got it started but wouldn't run more than a second or two. Decided to re-prime the inj. pump with a hand vacuum pump... and gave it a shot.

IT'S ALIVE!!! Starts easily, clatters at idle but is buttery smooth once it revs. Sill need to figure out why the offsets are different on my pulleys so that water pump can do its job... some wiring left as I've decided to revert back to having the battery in the hatch to keep the engine bay less cluttered.

S-PAutomotive.com