Engine Specific Info and Questions > mTDI Mechanical TDI Conversions

Aaz based mtdi cam selection

(1/3) > >>

blackdogvan:
So I'm looking for educated info on this subject. There have been a few on here who have run the aaz cam in their mtdi builds, some say it's fine & others who feel there is the potential for valve contact. I'm in the final run here for mine, the aaz cam is in now & it turns over just fine, not contact. One comment I did hear was it's as near to zero clearance so it might clear by hand but make contact at higher rpm. I'm not smrt enough to know how to calculate it & adjust for timing, at this point without some concrete science I'm inclined to pull the aaz cam & run the Tdi. The benefits are mostly word if mouth so it might not even be really a huge benefit anyway... thoughts?

410:
A fairly easy way to measure this is use some clay or plasasine.  It requires removing the head but that really doesn't take too long on our engines.  Place a small amount of clay on the piston and reinstall head.  No need to retorque head fully, 70-80% of full torque is fine.  Install timing belt and rotate engine slowly two full turns then dismantle.  You can now measure the thickness of the clay left on the top of the piston which is your clearance.  It's a bit timie consuming but relatively easy and very accurate.  If you have  .030" clearance it should be fine.  I'm running the ahu cam in my mtdi.

Rabbit on Roids:
there are people selling TDI and IDI performance cam shafts on here in the vendors selection..

i would buy a Dr. Diesel cam tho, he is much nicer to deal with, over the other vendor selling cams and warez, who shall not be named..

burn_your_money:
He hasn't tested his yet for a TDI has he?

If you are using the clay idea I think it would be a good idea to spin the oil pump while turning the engine over to make sure that the lifters are fully pumped up

Rabbit on Roids:
oh yea, he has only done IDI testing with that camshaft hasnt he?

but if you can use a AAZ cam with a Mtdi, why wo... never mind, im just gonna answer my own question i guess...

the Dr. Diesel cam is an improvement over the stock AAZ.. so it probably has more lift, and more chance for bending a valve.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version