S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Hood Scoop  (Read 4219 times)

June 21, 2004, 01:30:39 pm

BigggWilly

• User+

Hood Scoop
« on: June 21, 2004, 01:30:39 pm »
So I've got a 1.6L NA and i'm looking for a little more power without adding any more fuel. I was thinking of putting a ram-air style hood scoop on my car. Does anybody have any experience with these? Good/bad? I'm just hopeing for a little extra, nothing ground breaking. And is the K&N really worth the $60 or so that canadian tire wants for one?

Thanks for the tips.

Will.

Reply #1June 21, 2004, 02:02:19 pm

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

Hood Scoop
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 02:02:19 pm »
hood scoop wont yield any significant gains on your setup... someone please argue with me so i can be more educated if i'm wrong.

the k&n might breath a little better... but if its sucking hot air you wont get any gains.

try a k&n panel filter in the stock airbox, and get some cold air ducted to it from the front of the car or in the fender wall.

if you want more power from your NA 1.6l, try talking to giles @ superior fuel injection... there is a post on here about his work.

Reply #2June 21, 2004, 02:47:58 pm

BigggWilly

• User+

Hood Scoop
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2004, 02:47:58 pm »
Yeah, I was reading that thread, but I don't think i'm ready to shell out $600 for that.

I was thinking the hoodscoop would provide a mild boost, also while providing the engine with cold air. My current cold air intake (the stock foam one) is all torn to poop so my engine is currently breathing hot engine bay air.

Reply #3June 21, 2004, 03:09:14 pm

TDIMeister

• Veteran

Hood Scoop
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2004, 03:09:14 pm »
Quote from: "BlackTieTD"
hood scoop wont yield any significant gains on your setup... someone please argue with me so i can be more educated if i'm wrong.

the k&n might breath a little better... but if its sucking hot air you wont get any gains.

try a k&n panel filter in the stock airbox, and get some cold air ducted to it from the front of the car or in the fender wall.

No argument here... RAM AIR == practically ZERO gains, especially in a Diesel, unless you're driving over 100 MPH and have the scoop right at a stagnation point in the air stream.  More air is NEVER a bad thing, but if you want more power, what you need is FUEL FUEL FUEL!  :D

There are tweaks you can do for free on the pump.  It won't compare to a professionally modified pump, but hey, you do what you can, right?  I remember reading a How-to some time back (I think it was on Dominique Cormann's GTD site).  Maybe it should be stickied-on this forum as a FAQ.

Reply #4June 21, 2004, 03:42:24 pm

BigggWilly

• User+

Hood Scoop
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2004, 03:42:24 pm »
I figure that since my engine smokes a fair amount during high engine loads (verified by people driving behind me, I can't see it out the back window) that the engine isn't completely combusting its fuel, and thus needs more air to make the reaction easier... Or maybe i'm just a crazy newbie  :wink:

Reply #5June 21, 2004, 03:53:54 pm

TDIMeister

• Veteran

Hood Scoop
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2004, 03:53:54 pm »
Quote from: "BigggWilly"
I figure that since my engine smokes a fair amount during high engine loads (verified by people driving behind me, I can't see it out the back window) that the engine isn't completely combusting its fuel, and thus needs more air to make the reaction easier... Or maybe i'm just a crazy newbie  :wink:

There may be other factors at play that have nothing to do with overfuelling that should be looked at first:  Is the injection timing where it's supposed to be?  How many miles on the engine?  Is it consuming any significant amount of engine oil?  Have you done compression- and leakdown tests, and how are the numbers compared to new / allowable spec?  Is your air filter simply clogged?  Are you running good fuel?  Are the injectors in good condition?

Reply #6June 21, 2004, 04:06:13 pm

BigggWilly

• User+

Hood Scoop
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2004, 04:06:13 pm »
the injection timing where it's supposed to be?

--I think so, last week it was at .89mm

How many miles on the engine?

--About 270000km

Is it consuming any significant amount of engine oil?

--It was, but thats because my valvecover gasket and oil pan gasket were bad. Since i've replaced them, it seems good. (about a week ~ 1500km)

Have you done compression- and leakdown tests, and how are the numbers compared to new / allowable spec?

-- Nope, never done those. The engine makes good power, I can cruise on the hwy at 140km. When the engine is running, I can take out the dipstick, and there is no spitting. The smoke is all black, not oil blue coloured.

Is your air filter simply clogged?

-- Its pretty dirty, Thats next on my to do list. I'm not sure what clogged looks like.

Are you running good fuel?

-- I think so. 91 Octane.  (just kiddding... sunoco gold diesel)

Are the injectors in good condition?

-- I have no idea. I've run some injector cleaner through them... but i have no idea if it helped. I only had the car for a few days before I did it. I went to my parts guy, and he said that its usually never the injectors.

Its my understanding that the NA diesels smoke more than the Turbos? It never smokes at all idleing, and just briefly on startup.  I haven't touched the fuel screw on the pump... maybe the PO did, but it looks untouched.

Thanks for your help!

Reply #7June 21, 2004, 09:49:00 pm

BigggWilly

• User+

Hood Scoop
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2004, 09:49:00 pm »
Wow, that is one cleeeeeaaaaaaan engine bay! Something tells me there is more to it than just powerwashing it...  :wink:

Well tomorrow i'll adjust the injector pump, but I got a clean air filter tonight, and re-did my cold air induction. Its still breathing from the stock hole, but instead of that mangled, diesel soaked (i had a fuel leak) foam POS, i'm using a POS 3" aluminum one from home depot, just to see its any better. And it is! Well somewhat; nothin' to write home about. BUT, there is a really nice sounding induction growl. I think i'll augment it so the 3 incher goes all the way to the air box, instead of that 1.5" plastic piece that goes for about a foot.

For the exaust, when I changed the head gasket, the only thing I couldn't do was get those exaust C clips back on. Now before I start playing around with those again is there a smart way of doing it? I ended up taking mine to the dealer to get them on (never again... $60!!!!!).  Also, just because I like doing things myself, are welded exaust bends good, or should I make a pipe bending tool?

Okay, last question... My main exaust heat sheild was falling off; it was blowing in the wind and makeing really annoying noises so I just ripped it off. Is it entirely neccesary, or can I live without it?

Thanks so much for you time guys, and listening to all my PITA questions! I owe ya one!

Fixmyvw.com