Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: New Pre Chambers Available?  (Read 19986 times)

Reply #60February 04, 2010, 05:15:57 pm

1oldcj

Re: New Pre Chambers Available?
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2010, 05:15:57 pm »
Link to that?

The Samba isn't fun to navigate...

Getting them from Sask is way better then Germany!!!

Reply #61February 05, 2010, 02:50:09 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2010, 02:50:09 am »
Here is a good question, Can some be made out of ceramic, or some kind of composite?  This would be cheap and easy to make, even for me.  Mold, bake, and viola.  Using ones like this, someone could make 1.6 pre's with low comp or 1.5's with low comp, or any variation thereof. Ceramic is very hard, pressure resistant and would facilitate good heat dispersion for fuel ignition better even than inconel, and if they crack oh well, just make a new set with the mold.  Will someone other than ROR comment on this idea, I have access to a high temp, kiln and ceramic manufacturing facilities.  All I would really need to get is some ceramic material to work with that will work for our particular purpose.  Any engineers out in the crowd that know space-age ceramics?

thanks,

Kevin
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
you know, decarbonated beer is a better coolant than the stuff you buy at the auto store, and is better for you...... really
"If the boost were to rise then the throttle would remain in the wide-open throttle position, which might be fun, but probably not for long"Libbypapa

Reply #62February 05, 2010, 02:56:15 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2010, 02:56:15 am »
I know that I read somewhere, that there was an engineering class at a university in the US that made an an entire engine from different types of ceramics, a WHOLE ENGINE! :o  anywho, as most urban legends go the engine was light, cost-effective, strong, and Extremely efficient. One of the Big car manufacturers bought up all of the patents to keep it from the competition, and burned them... or something along those lines.  Here is some info about ceramics, sounds like it will fit our puposes, now, we just have to find the right kind. HMMMMMMMM......... You can bet I'm on the Job.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceramic_materials
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
you know, decarbonated beer is a better coolant than the stuff you buy at the auto store, and is better for you...... really
"If the boost were to rise then the throttle would remain in the wide-open throttle position, which might be fun, but probably not for long"Libbypapa

Reply #63February 05, 2010, 03:17:49 am

truckinwagen

• Veteran

« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2010, 03:17:49 am »
there are actually lots of ceramic engines in use today.

my dad worked on a few tugboats with ceramic motors in them.
the cool thing about them is that they don't mind getting really hot, so they can operate at ridiculous temperatures making them more efficient.

the issue is ceramic that is high enough grade to survive and not crack, fall apart from the vibration and stress makes them very expensive to manufacture.

a precup would be easier to make work than a whole motor, but would still be a challenge.

oh, and toyota diesels have a 1/4'-ish thick ceramic puck as the crown for their pistons to keep heat transfer down, making piston oil squirters unnecessary.

-Owen
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #64February 05, 2010, 08:45:49 am

trev

• Junior

« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2010, 08:45:49 am »
From http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=22706.0

http://www.eurocartogliani.191.it/EN-FrameBase.htm

didn't notice th link in the last few pages. May be some help to someone. Download the catalog and see the motherload of parts.

Cheers
 Trev

Reply #65February 05, 2010, 09:20:44 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2010, 09:20:44 am »
That is why the toyota truck on the top gear challenge is darn near indestructable, and kept running even after being sucked out into the english channel.
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #66February 05, 2010, 09:32:54 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2010, 09:32:54 am »
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #67February 06, 2010, 09:49:26 am

Vanagoner

• Junior

« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2010, 09:49:26 am »
Ceramics are brittle and do not expand much when hot.  Aluminum is soft and expands a lot when hot.  Mixing the two sounds problematic.  If you could find a ceramic that could take that kind of punishment, it might be easier and more interesting to make a "spacer" that would allow us to put a 1.6 prechamber in a 1.9 head, increasing IDI thermal efficiency and making franken engines practical.
Sage
'82  Vanagon Westy, the mighty N/A

Reply #68February 06, 2010, 10:02:34 am

macka

• Veteran

« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2010, 10:02:34 am »
NKD, what about Gratite? KTM uses them in hit temp high pressure valves.
Quote from: Vincent Walden
I do know that I drive torque,  while listening to my friends prattle on about horsepower.

Reply #69February 06, 2010, 11:06:13 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2010, 11:06:13 am »
The object is to create a fire breathing dragon by way of starting with low static compression and seeing just how far one can go in the boost respect.  Using 1.6 N/A chambers could be an alternative, however, this would limit somewhat what one could potentially use boost wise in an aaz head.  To make a long story short, trying to make headway.  For our intents and purposes, we need to use a readily available, easily useable substance that isn't godly expensive, and meets all of the thermodynamic criteria in the framework setup by the krauts.  There might not be a cheap alternative, to using inconel, but because it doesn't meet these criteria, I refuse to believe that we are SOL.  I am human, there MUST! be a way. I want it cheap, I want it easy, I want it to work.  The brittleness of the ceramic would not matter unless you dropped a bearing, as the piston does not touch the combustion surface.  The act of combustion is not violent enough in and of itself to crack or rend the type of ceramic that would be used for this application.  I do agree that the aluminum will expand, and the ceramic will not, keeping it in place will prove to be a challenge.  Using a machining technique where there is a slight screw design to the precup and grooves set into the hole in which it will be placed would that be enough?  I am not a mechanical genius, nor do I claim to have all of the answer, however, I will not give up, and to be 100% honest I think up this stuff at the strangest of times, this ceramic precup idea came to me in the shower.

thanks guys,

Kevin
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #70February 07, 2010, 03:11:35 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2010, 03:11:35 am »
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4325334.html

look here, these guys did it, for diesel application specifically, found this today "beginning to think that I really was crazy" What type of ceramic did they use, and can we get some, and I am going to mold and make my own.  Anyone else interested will have my unconditional support.
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #71February 11, 2010, 12:33:02 pm

macka

• Veteran

« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2010, 12:33:02 pm »
I've done some bronze casting, molds are easy enough to make. I've used plaster casts and foam. If we made a wooden cup to spec we could make a female mold. And pour the ceramic, let it harden then bake it to finish.
I do know that I drive torque,  while listening to my friends prattle on about horsepower.

Reply #72February 11, 2010, 09:40:20 pm

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2010, 09:40:20 pm »
LET'S DO IT! :D  I'm all over this idea 8)
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #73February 12, 2010, 09:05:52 am

Vanagoner

• Junior

« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2010, 09:05:52 am »
An example from the patent-
"A powder mixture consisting of 90% by weight of silicon nitride, 5% by weight of yttrium oxide and 5% by weight of aluminum oxide, the mean particle size thereof being 1.1, 1.2 and 0.5 microns, respectively, was prepared and 5% by weight of paraffin was used as a binder. The mixture was molded and sintered and sintering was performed by furnace sintering. The sintering condition was at a temperature 1800° C. for 1 hour in an atmosphere of nitrogen gas."
I don't know where you'd get those materials though. Some A & M universities might be able to help.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 09:08:39 am by Vanagoner »
Sage
'82  Vanagon Westy, the mighty N/A

Reply #74February 12, 2010, 09:20:42 am

macka

• Veteran

« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2010, 09:20:42 am »
Some of those materials seem like unobtanium, but usually in patents, they don't name the material by its known commercial name. We just have to find the material, and then contact the company that makes it to find a distributor. I'm sure I can convince one of my old college profs to let me use the shop furnace at college. If I include some 3rd year technologists in the project, we can probably get a good discount from the distributors of the material, and get a total mechanical engineering write up on the pre chambers.

S-PAutomotive.com