S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Problems: perkins powered GMC  (Read 2591 times)

April 22, 2007, 12:23:46 pm

Patrick

• Veteran

Problems: perkins powered GMC
« on: April 22, 2007, 12:23:46 pm »
TO make a long story short, when I put this truck together, parts dissapeared (bellhousing, clutch fork, slave cylinder etc)
I got another bellhousing (same perkins/dodge part from a 1966 four ton dodge) but no clutch fork and slave cylinder. Used a GMC clutch fork that's close to right but meets the bearing at the wrong angle, and the GM factory slave for the truck with a home fabricated adaptor. Pulling the truck apart today to replace the bearing for the 2nd time in 9 years (only runs 5 to 10000 kms a year)

Also have an issue with starters taking out ring gears over time,  going to flip the 2nd ring gear on the truck in this time, didn't have the problem with the bellhousing that got stolen.
Going to pull the flywheel and bellhousing and do some measuring to see if there's an alignment problem with the starter boss, but since it's apart again, does anyone have a suggestion as to where to look for the right clutch fork? I'm headed for London  monday to look for parts. Going to hit Headly Bennett's to look for a clutch fork, maybe Monarch rebuilder's for a bearing and/or pressure plate if it's been damaged.........

Reply #1April 22, 2007, 03:14:34 pm

Patrick

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 03:14:34 pm »
Slight correction, the pieces I found laying in the driveway aren't throwout bearing, they're starter drive parts.Throwout bearing is still in one piece, but due for replacement. Clutch is okay, btu the starter is toast, broke the shaft (armature).

Anyone know of a smaller high torque replacement for a 35mt??????

Reply #2April 28, 2007, 06:38:36 pm

Patrick

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 06:38:36 pm »
Found out there's two more starters that fit, trying the Lucas I know, the prince of darkness).
Got the truck mostly back together today with a new ring ear, new throwout bearing, and new starter. Thanks to Joe's Diesel in St Marys.......

Fixmyvw.com