Author Topic: 1991 ECOdiesel my first vw  (Read 4105 times)

May 09, 2013, 12:48:02 am

quickrip

• User+

1991 ECOdiesel my first vw
« on: May 09, 2013, 12:48:02 am »
  So this all started with my swapping a 6bt cummins into my 86 crew cab gmc. I was doing hours of searching and learning about the diesels and how to get more power and such. All along the way my searches kept popping up vw threads and I checked out a few. Anyway the cummins install went awsome that engine has major balls! Im waiting on my replacement trans for that project as of now ;D
  However the vw diesels have really got me interested and I was on a craigslist scan for a good one for a good deal. This is when I realized that they are hard to come by, and if you can find one worth buying the seller wants my first born son for it. The other half is also not so keen on another project (whats new). Finally I found an ECOdiesel down in scottsdale, AZ. Im up in livermore, northern CA so it is not too far but I couldnt find one closer under my budget. This eco is in fair shape it has a salvaged title and you can tell its been in a wreck but its still in nice shape i think. We agreed on $2000 so i felt it was fair. He said it had been serviced recently but when I got back home to inspect further, the exhaust mani was practically falling off and the intake wasnt much tighter. Not too happy at this point but what can you do. Ive now got the manifolds off and everything is getting cleaned and inspected. I probably wasnt even getting any turbo boost at all on the drive home.
So far Ive done the gov mod, unhooked the wastegate (so it will open at 23-25psi from drive pressure which I prob wont see with the eco pump),cut my exhaust after the downpipe, and turned up the fuel screw, Ive also got boost and pyro gauges to put in. I found a saab 900 turbo for $20 on ebay so I bought it. I was gonna make a cold air intake through the 3" knockout hole under the airbox and put a good air filter and the intercooler there.(i posted a pic of said hole) Let me know what you guys think. I also found a crazy deal for $20 plus shipping on a full new bumper assembly
Im looking for a turbo pump if anyone has a decent one for a good price for a good guy :)
Also posted a wtb for the mkII wheel center caps and ring . I pretty much need a whole complete set.

1991 ecodiesel
M&H modded td pump
M&H boost pin
arp head studs
saab intercooler
2.5" from the turbo back

Reply #1May 09, 2013, 12:53:11 am

quickrip

• User+

Re: 1991 ECOdiesel my first vw
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 12:53:11 am »
not enough room for the pics of my custom downpipe and my removed turbo and manifolds. also interior pics were missing.
so here they are. since you guys are the gurus Im interested to hear what you feel about the new toy. Thanks for checkin it out.
1991 ecodiesel
M&H modded td pump
M&H boost pin
arp head studs
saab intercooler
2.5" from the turbo back

Reply #2May 09, 2013, 02:12:55 am

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 02:12:55 am »
That looks nice n clean  aside from a few stray wires.
Almost local too, I'm right by Santa Cruz.

Got a build thread on the crew cab somewhere?
I had a 6BT I wanted to swap into one of my old Chevies, but couldn't find the trans I wanted at a price I liked.  Next thing I know I'm in Livermore, buying  a whole dodge, and swapping my motor into it.  Today it rewarded me for  band adjustment and trans temp  gauge install by popping a cooler line disconnect, and puking $50 of fancy ATF on my driveway >:(

Reply #3May 09, 2013, 03:14:00 am

quickrip

• User+

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 03:14:00 am »
That looks nice n clean  aside from a few stray wires.
Almost local too, I'm right by Santa Cruz.

Got a build thread on the crew cab somewhere?
I had a 6BT I wanted to swap into one of my old Chevies, but couldn't find the trans I wanted at a price I liked.  Next thing I know I'm in Livermore, buying  a whole dodge, and swapping my motor into it.  Today it rewarded me for  band adjustment and trans temp  gauge install by popping a cooler line disconnect, and puking $50 of fancy ATF on my driveway >:(

Sorry to hear about that. ::)
NO, I never did write up my cummins build but it was mostly a slow going pain in the ass. Im not a fab guy. I cant weld but I do understand mechanics of how to make things work and have taught myself quite a bit about what makes these diesels go. Dont get me wrong Im very much in the learning process, and having a lot of fun learning and playing.
  A quick rundown on my cummins build:
bought my crew about 4 yrs ago with the long term plan of needing the 1 ton running gear to do the swap. Truck came with an ats turbocharged 6.2. It ran awsome but no power for that big heavy truck and it came with everything I wanted lift tires gear vendors over drive. I paid full price though at $8000 he would not budge. Ended up about six months ago finding a two package deal for $3,000 of an 89 cummins 4x4 std cab with blown out clutch at 134,000m and his old dually with no running gear and no rear axle. But he had another dana 60 he was adding to the deal.
  Let me back up so I have an aquaintance (fab guy) that made me a deal that he would do the cummins swap for me for a great deal if I found the right 4x4 1st gen cummins cause he would want the manual trans and the dana 60 transfer case bla blah. So thats what I was looking for here.
  Back to the deal, I took my buddy (fab guy) out to santa rosa to look at these trucks. We checked everything out and the guy selling had left the extra dana 60 laying in the side yard to rust. this allowed me to talk him down to $2500 for the package. I would have paid $3500 or more if I had to. Such a great deal That my guy agreed to swap the engine in and to pay for half of the cost of all necessary gadgets and doohickies to put it together. Long story short(ish) We got these trucks and Ive been pounding this guy to finish my truck for the last 5 months. all said and done its finished and I only spent $4500 total including exhaust and extras.
As he was building the truck I was able to pump up the engine. This gave me the opportunity to do hours upon hours of research on the cummins 6bt and the ve injection pumps. (Searching and learning the VE Bosch pump is how i ended up needing to own a vw turbo Diesel.) After he stalled for so long this is the list of mods done to the cummins before I ever ran it in my truck. ddpIV 150 hp injectors, he-351cw turbo off an 06 cummins, a porsche intercooler with custom 3" piping, Installed the M&H dynamic timing spacer, a 366 gov spring, Denny T stage 1 fuel pin, turned the fuel screw, added Holley black lift pump, 4" turbo back straight pipe exhaust, BHAF.
  This damn truck is sooo fast. At least to me it was very impressive. I was on it hard at every stoplight and showing it off to everyone around  town roallin coal all over for a day and a half. Then my turbo 400 let go. Kabooom! So this is where i am currently. My Bad ass truck is sitting out front awaiting the trans which should be here tomorrow. Total cost was about $14,000 for my truck with cummins installed. Not too bad. Im still in the process of working the bugs out and now I have my new toy. Fun Fun Fun.
1991 ecodiesel
M&H modded td pump
M&H boost pin
arp head studs
saab intercooler
2.5" from the turbo back

Reply #4May 09, 2013, 12:47:12 pm

JamesT

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 12:47:12 pm »
Looks like a good little car. If you turn up the pump enough, you should be able to see 23-25 psi from a k14 (if that's what you're running, I can't really tell from the pics). The airbox should take cold air from the fender well beside it if the snorkel piece is still intact.
93 Golf - AAZ with some fueling
78 Rabbit - 1.5 DIESEL (finally)
[(+)===o===(+)]
 (++\==o==/++)

Reply #5May 09, 2013, 05:23:33 pm

quickrip

• User+

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 05:23:33 pm »
Looks like a good little car. If you turn up the pump enough, you should be able to see 23-25 psi from a k14 (if that's what you're running, I can't really tell from the pics). The airbox should take cold air from the fender well beside it if the snorkel piece is still intact.
  Thank you James. Im exited about owning this little diesel. Ive turned up the fuel screw about 1.5 turns so far but ive been reading that this pump is very weak and cant do much for additional fueling. Do you have first hand experience that says differently?  Im looking for a good turbo pump as we speak, but if I could make this one fuel good enough to get more hp then no need. For now  Im trying to work with what Ive got. Btw I do have the k14 with the wastegate line blocked so it will only open up from drive pressure. My plan is to remove the airbox eventually to put the saab intercooler there with an aftermarket air filter, and feed it cool air with a kind of ram air from under the bumper. 

So I just now finished prepping the head for manifold installation. I installed the studs for exhaust mani and cleaned the surface for both. I will install the intake mani and boost guage tonight. Im still waiting on the pyro to arrive so Im gonna have to drill and tap the exhaust mani for that before I can install it. Im hoping that the turbo isnt leaking anywhere, and am trying to avoid a rebuild. I guess we'll see.
  When I took the injection pump top off the other day to do the gov mod I didnt have a seal kit. And I have a bad leak coming out the throttle shaft on top. Im assuming the o-ring is done, so I ordered a kit and Im hoping this will solve the problem. Is there another reason why a leak may have started after performing this mod? Thanks for the help.
1991 ecodiesel
M&H modded td pump
M&H boost pin
arp head studs
saab intercooler
2.5" from the turbo back

Reply #6May 09, 2013, 06:47:34 pm

bajacalal

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 06:47:34 pm »
It's a nice little car for sure.

I have a 1st gen cummins also and love it. Do not love the Getrag transmission but love everything else.

If you're still looking to put the Cummins engine in a Chevy I have a friend who wound up with a Cummins=>Chevrolet adapter when doing a 4bt swap, I can ask if he still has it.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 06:50:24 pm by bajacalal »

Reply #7May 10, 2013, 10:32:30 am

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 10:32:30 am »
You'll probably blow that little K14 up running that much boost. The AAZ K14s are larger but I still wouldn't run them that high.
Tyler

Reply #8May 10, 2013, 11:48:19 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 11:48:19 am »

yea, if you wanna blow up your turbo..

a K14 is only efficient to ~18psi..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #9May 10, 2013, 01:13:11 pm

quickrip

• User+

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 01:13:11 pm »
  Thanks for the help. I have a boost controller that I pulled off the cummins which I can set at 18. I'd rather run a consistant safe boost than run more unreliable power. I appreciate the input.

1991 ecodiesel
M&H modded td pump
M&H boost pin
arp head studs
saab intercooler
2.5" from the turbo back

Reply #10May 10, 2013, 01:51:11 pm

quickrip

• User+

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 01:51:11 pm »
  Last night I started with the guages and ended up outside working on the jetta till 3:30am. I got my pyro tapped and decided to also use jb weld on the threads as I installed it to make sure everything is sealed tight. Boost guage is also hooked up. I installed both manifolds, the turbo, and my custom shorty exhaust.
  I should be able to hook up the oil feed and return lines and my airbox tonight. Ill see if I can hook up my boost controller to 18 psi and that should get the car back on the road. I cant wait to try it out now that everything is tightened to proper torque specs and new gaskets. I think im gonna love it.
1991 ecodiesel
M&H modded td pump
M&H boost pin
arp head studs
saab intercooler
2.5" from the turbo back

Reply #11May 10, 2013, 10:03:07 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 10:03:07 pm »
You'll probably blow that little K14 up running that much boost. The AAZ K14s are larger but I still wouldn't run them that high.

yea, if you wanna blow up your turbo..

a K14 is only efficient to ~18psi..

The k03 is efficient to 18-19, the k14 is capable of reliably sustaining just a touch more than that like 20-22 it would seem.

A k14 at 20psi pushing 160hp on a 1.6L with max power at 5000 and max boost by 2500..

Reply #12May 11, 2013, 04:26:53 am

quickrip

• User+

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 04:26:53 am »
The k03 is efficient to 18-19, the k14 is capable of reliably sustaining just a touch more than that like 20-22 it would seem.

A k14 at 20psi pushing 160hp on a 1.6L with max power at 5000 and max boost by 2500..
[/quote]
  I got the car put together late last night and its running very well. Right now I've got the wastgate blocked off, no more constricting exhaust, gov mod, and 1 turn on the max fuel screw. I was boosting at full throttle up to about 25 psi. Is this ok? My pyro is only reading about 900-1000 deg. at WOT. My only concern is blowing the head gasket, which really would give me an excuse to buy the 1.9 metal one. I was giong to install the boost controller at 18psi. After hearing that the k14 can handle upwards to 22psi I might just let it all hang out with the blocked wastegate for a bit and see how well she goes.
  Im feeling like It can take a little more fuel at this point so I think I'll give some more max fuel screw tomorrow. Im feeling like Im missing out by not having a 9mm pump to feed this thing. Does anyone have first hand experience with trying to make good power with the ecodiesel pump, and then swapping to the Td pump after. I would love to hear the difference in performance with both modded pumps.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 04:33:19 am by quickrip »
1991 ecodiesel
M&H modded td pump
M&H boost pin
arp head studs
saab intercooler
2.5" from the turbo back

Reply #13May 11, 2013, 06:20:51 am

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 06:20:51 am »
My pyro is only reading about 900-1000 deg. at WOT. My only concern is blowing the head gasket, which really would give me an excuse to buy the 1.9 metal one. I was giong to install the boost controller at 18psi. After hearing that the k14 can handle upwards to 22psi I might just let it all hang out with the blocked wastegate for a bit and see how well she goes.
  Im feeling like It can take a little more fuel at this point so I think I'll give some more max fuel screw tomorrow. Im feeling like Im missing out by not having a 9mm pump to feed this thing. Does anyone have first hand experience with trying to make good power with the ecodiesel pump, and then swapping to the Td pump after. I would love to hear the difference in performance with both modded pumps.

No fair, my D24 runs that hot at 75  on flat ground if it's raining hard.

If you end up fuel limited, use the controller to turn down the boost  till you have smoke or lose speed.

Reply #14May 11, 2013, 01:33:19 pm

quickrip

• User+

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2013, 01:33:19 pm »

No fair, my D24 runs that hot at 75  on flat ground if it's raining hard.

If you end up fuel limited, use the controller to turn down the boost  till you have smoke or lose speed.
[/quote]

Ok that makes sense, so that I dont end up blowing hot air. Once my saab intercooler gets here that will help cool also.
1991 ecodiesel
M&H modded td pump
M&H boost pin
arp head studs
saab intercooler
2.5" from the turbo back