S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: removing turbo/intake/exh mani's  (Read 4055 times)

June 15, 2011, 11:34:26 am

jettabrendan

• Junior

• Personal Text
    geschwindigkeitsueberschreitung
removing turbo/intake/exh mani's
« on: June 15, 2011, 11:34:26 am »
hey all, when i changed the head gasket i took everything out as 1 unit, but i have 2 busted off exhaust manifold studs,and dont feel like ripping the head out. i have no boost plus a terrible leak.. so i was wondering if its possible to remove the manifolds with the head still in the car. and if so how? i seem to not be able to get at all the bolts.

thanks - brendan

1991 Jetta TD Dark Teal
1983 bmw e21 320is Hennarot
1997 Volvo 850 Black

Reply #1June 15, 2011, 11:40:08 am

Fredrikkk

• Junior

Re: removing turbo/intake/exh mani's
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 11:40:08 am »
First you have to loosen the C-clamps, then loosen the downpipe and then loosen the turbo. Then you might have to take off the intake manifold to get to the bolts on the exhaust mani, but I don't remember how little space is back there right now.

It's gonna be a pain in the ass though..
1991 VW Golf Pasadena GTD - Yeah, it's awesome.

Reply #2June 15, 2011, 01:19:13 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 01:19:13 pm »
low mount turbo FTW!!
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #3June 16, 2011, 02:28:20 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 02:28:20 am »
Oh yeah, plenty of room behind there to get the turbo/manifold off.
 Drive it up on ramps and crawl under.

Disconnect everything hooked to the turbo and remove it.

It might be hard to remove studs,.. if you have to drill them out.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #4June 20, 2011, 01:27:08 pm

damac

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 01:27:08 pm »
I had my turbo off my 85 just to look it over and clean for fun when I bought it last year.  I now have to break all of this down because the exhaust manifold is leaking.  If you have all the access to sockets, wobble extensions, etc. I made it work fairly easy.  Just a couple where I had to hold it tight with my left hand to get a good crack.  I try and soak everything a couple days ahead of time but I also don't have rust here.  And also putting it on ramps, I have to or else I can't fit or move around :)

I thought I ordered all the bolts and studs because I read they are one time use, but then I came across a thread that the exhaust bolts are one time use and different size from non and turboed cars?

I pulled up my car profile at 3 different big guys websites and they all listed the same size nuts for each location so I blindly bought them, I hope they are the right size or it will delay me :(

If they are wrong, does anybody know where to get them or if the local hardware store has something applicable?

And also have I read right that you should have your exhaust manifold planed when off the car because the odds are it will be warped?
1985 turbo diesel jetta

Reply #5June 20, 2011, 05:09:35 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 05:09:35 pm »
ok the deal on nuts/washers...

turbo is different then non.. they use a thicker washer and a steel lock nut vs copper plated lock nuts.. look at audi 5k turbo... they use those nuts/washers to help prevent warpage of the manifold..

now removing head vs not removing head.. if studs broken off flush inside the head.. pull head.. if not pull manifolds.. try to remove studs.. if they then break off flush pull head.. have to drill then out and head off is easy vs on..

Reply #6June 22, 2011, 02:30:09 am

damac

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 02:30:09 am »
darn, thats what i get for trusting those websites :(

my car is down with a leak and now I have the wrong parts coming in the mail.

so if the nuts are one time use, what about those thick washers and the studs?  if mine don't have damage can i just reuse them? 
1985 turbo diesel jetta

Reply #7June 22, 2011, 03:10:27 am

mystery3

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 03:10:27 am »
darn, thats what i get for trusting those websites :(

my car is down with a leak and now I have the wrong parts coming in the mail.

so if the nuts are one time use, what about those thick washers and the studs?  if mine don't have damage can i just reuse them? 

034 motorsport in fremont will have the proper turbo hardware.

Reply #8June 24, 2011, 03:47:52 am

damac

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 03:47:52 am »
Damn I peeked under my hood just to see what is up and found the top exhaust nut I could reach hand loose as well as all the lower ones.  I couldn't reach the others at the moment.  Felt like the studs were even loose to a degree and I see one totally gone from up top.

I used to see just a little hint of white smoke sometimes even when I first got this car but didn't want to tinker too much.  I knew it existed and swear I could smell it sometimes but I suppose in the past few weeks it just got way worse for whatever reason.

I am going to break mine down this weekend and see how it goes.  Plan on doing intake and all of that and getting the mating surfaces planed if need be so I don't have to tear into this again until rebuild time :)

On another note I ordered from www.autohausaz.com and now that I got my parts it seems that they did send me the right sizes?

I got thick metal looking washers, studs that are the same thread, but I got copper washers that look deformed so I assume they are lock washers that deform when torqued.

Do I just use them?  And use copper anti sieze on the new studs?

I noticed that my turbo noise was kind of in and out since I got it, I wonder if I was losing boost ever since I got the car home.  Should be interesting to see.  Car was running great though before atleast as far as I know.

Any other things people should do when tearing down all of these parts?  I thought I read something about drilling parts of the intake out for blowby reasons on higher mileage engines and that is me.  I was just hoping to get a timing belt change out of mine before I repair.  Even though it was starting up practically instantly with one glowplug cycle down to the teens during winter.  I know there is blowby though I can see white smoke.
1985 turbo diesel jetta