S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Some dissasembled pump questions..  (Read 3948 times)

January 21, 2011, 12:16:49 am

wolf_walker

• Veteran

Some dissasembled pump questions..
« on: January 21, 2011, 12:16:49 am »
So I stripped my "mystery pump" down and did some serious cleaning, case and rotary head in the ultrasonic cleaner, some quality hand cleaning time with the rest.  What makes a pump bad?  I see two things with this one.  One, two of the delivery valves physically stick and the spring pressure will not pop them open, I have spares that are good I can use.  Two, wear in the internal bore of the case.  It's not extreme, but there is some, and a funny gray band partially around where the round holder for the rollers goes (and rotates for timing change), was there a coating there originally that has worn off? Sure looks like it.  The area of the pressure pump looks smooth.
I had considered flipping the 4 little vanes upside down so they are wearing in the opposite direction they have been, sort of like swapping a cv joint from one side to another to get some more life out of it if that makes sense, thoughts?  I'm going to stick it back together and see what it does I suppose.  Has been fun.

Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #1January 21, 2011, 08:29:02 am

rallydiesel

• Veteran

Re: Some dissasembled pump questions..
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 08:29:02 am »
The wear band in the housing is from the roller carrier rubbing against it. It's caused by worn mainshaft bushings. Which are in turn caused by tightening the timing belt too tight. You should put new bushings in. The housing wear itself isn't a huge problem.
2006 Jetta TDI - gtb1749v, Malone 2, Frank's Titan 2 cam, VR6 clutch....
1991 Jetta TD - sold :(
2001 Golf TDI - Son's
1981 Rabbit - BEW tdi swap project

"ONCE YOU GO CLACK, YOU NEVER GO BACK"

Reply #2January 21, 2011, 10:33:29 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 10:33:29 pm »
Hmm, the mainshaft front bushing felt pretty snug, I test fitted it after I had it apart to check for play.  I do think I have a new bushing around though, but not setup to ream them.  It feels like the same sort of play the other two running pumps I have show for what that's worth.

Another thing, unless they are stuck in, the del valves seem to not have adjustment shims, none of them.  ?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 01:07:56 am by wolf_walker »
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #3January 23, 2011, 08:51:55 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 08:51:55 pm »
So I pulled apart one of my other spare pumps, that ran but not right after the previous owner had it apart.
It has less shaft play, and I think less visible wear on the case inside.  Question, given the same part numbers can I swap a cam plate from another pump into this one?  There is some wear mark on the cam plate of this one but not the other one.
I also noticed the 2nd pump, an A2 era one, has one piece rollers, where the early one has two piece, preference?

Mentat Text Two

Reply #4January 23, 2011, 09:28:25 pm

Vincent Waldon

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• My collection of HOWTOs
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 09:28:25 pm »
It's pretty safe to mix and match parts between pumps with the same number (or even between pumps with different numbers).... with one notable exception:  the plunger and distributor head.  The two are precision-machined for each other and need to travel as a pair.   ;)
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3, 1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Reply #5January 23, 2011, 09:30:32 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 09:30:32 pm »
Cool, gotcha.

Any preference on the cam plate rollers?  The two-piece one's look better.

Also the advance spring, the early pump has a red one and the later a white or light blue one, didn't I read somewhere about the red being preferable, or am I asking for trouble there?
Mentat Text Two

Reply #6February 06, 2011, 07:46:04 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 07:46:04 pm »
So, the stator ring of the lift pump will not come out of either of these pumps.  I can get them loose, and move some, but not out.  I see the tolerance is tight and if it's not perfectly flat it'll bind up, but I can't get either of them out.

If there is any slight roughness, possibly from me trying to remove it, on the inner face of the stator ring, what are the odds of my being able to polish it smooth with fine scotchbrite and it function?
Mentat Text Two

S-PAutomotive.com