Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: retro fiting cruze controll into a 82 caddy  (Read 2268 times)

January 25, 2009, 11:00:10 pm

madrogers

• Junior

retro fiting cruze controll into a 82 caddy
« on: January 25, 2009, 11:00:10 pm »
I pulled the cruze parts out of my 91 jetta  parts car to install in my pickup but the jetta has a motometer guage setup and the pulse generator from it will not fit into my vdo dash, Has anybody hooked up something different for a pulse generator or do i have to find  the proper one for my vdo dash?? In my pile of fine junk I have a coil pickup that would uses a magnet on the drive shaft to make a pluse,  any thoughts of if it would work? i believe they are both a analog signal.
 Thanks Mark.

83 CADDY 1.6 TD WINTER
83 CADDY 1.9 AAZ SUMMER

Reply #1January 31, 2009, 02:17:48 am

Rabbit TD

• Veteran

Re: retro fiting cruze controll into a 82 caddy
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 02:17:48 am »
Quote from: "madrogers"
I pulled the cruze parts out of my 91 jetta  parts car to install in my pickup but the jetta has a motometer guage setup and the pulse generator from it will not fit into my vdo dash, Has anybody hooked up something different for a pulse generator or do i have to find  the proper one for my vdo dash?? In my pile of fine junk I have a coil pickup that would uses a magnet on the drive shaft to make a pluse,  any thoughts of if it would work? i believe they are both a analog signal.
 Thanks Mark.

I had an aftermarket cruise on a nissan years ago wih the magnetic pickup on the axel and it worked fine.  But what poweres the controler that moves the throtle on the diesels as they have no vacum unless you tap into the power brake hose, maby that's what they do :roll:

Reply #2March 12, 2009, 12:51:33 am

VWCaddy

• Junior

• VW Caddy Page
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 12:51:33 am »
The vacuum pump for the brakes works fine for a cruise control, that's what I use on my '82:
- http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/CheapTricks/CruiseControl.shtml

In fact it works better than engine vacuum, since it does not drop off like when going up hill like a small gas engine's vacuum does.

For the VSS, you might try to find one out of an A1 gas engine VW (I think they are on the back of the speedo) and see if that will make a signal for you.
'82 VW pickup, 1.9D engine, Missing LinkZ shift linkage

Reply #3March 12, 2009, 01:31:22 pm

madrogers

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 01:31:22 pm »
I ended up useing a aftermarket one from the junk yard I used the vac from the vac pump and glued two peices of magnet onto the r/s axel flange at the trans and mounted the speed pickup there.I hooked up a relay to work with the brake/ clutch switches i installed(fac ones) to cut it out if peds are pushed and it works great best $17.00 i spent.
83 CADDY 1.6 TD WINTER
83 CADDY 1.9 AAZ SUMMER

Fixmyvw.com