S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Well I screw somthing up  (Read 1932 times)

June 28, 2008, 12:40:41 am

zukgod1

• Veteran

Well I screw somthing up
« on: June 28, 2008, 12:40:41 am »
So I decided to be a renegade and tear my pump apart again tonight.
Removed it from the car and tore it apart, removed the weights from the governor, found a thinner washer for the timing advance piston and machined the cover about 1mm.
Re installed the pump and fired it up.

It raced until I turned off the key.

More info;
I installed a new fuel filter housing so the return line runs directly to the tank now instead of through the pump.

I didn't use my gauge to set the timing (don't ask) I made a mark on the mount and pump so I just lined them back up but I suspect I'll be busting it out tomorrow.

I backed the fuel screw way out until it wouldnt start then turned the idle screw way down and the throttle stop way out, still races.

WTH?????????

Having the return line running back to the tank like it is wont cause this will it? Would be easy to unhook to check that but I don't think that's the case? Was thinking maybe its blocked going back to the tank causing higher pump pressures.

If I had the timeing WAY to far advanced would it race at the same pump setting?

dan

99 Golf TDI (now CNG powered) , 82 TD Caddy

Reply #1June 28, 2008, 01:08:06 am

zukgod1

• Veteran

Well I screw somthing up
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 01:08:06 am »
maybe. the shaft and weight housing (with the gear on it) is still there as is the part that pushes out as the weights fly out.

I don't see why it wont run without, should ride on the gov shaft for idle anything above that should return with the throttle?
Maybe not, I'll prob end up re installing just wanted try.

I'll PM ya why..
dan

Reply #2June 28, 2008, 01:28:31 am

zukgod1

• Veteran

Well I screw somthing up
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 01:28:31 am »
I've attempted replacing the gov spring with a spacer and I was able to get allot better throttle response but still had fuel cut out around 3900.

I've tried SEVERAL different set ups as to the springs, stacked springs, washers etc and still the same.

I suspected after start up I was going to be taking it off again ad re installing the weights. Figure I'm out nothing and experimenting is fun.
dan

Reply #3June 28, 2008, 01:32:27 am

zukgod1

• Veteran

Well I screw somthing up
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 01:32:27 am »
Truth be told if I had $1000. I wouldn't be playing, I would just send it to the pump god Giles and be done with it..
dan

Reply #4June 28, 2008, 02:05:46 am

rabbitman

• Veteran

Well I screw somthing up
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 02:05:46 am »
yeah, without the weights I think your screwed. :(
I read that at start up it's at full fuel 'till the RPMs get up to idle. If you take the top cover off you'll see the throttle control mechanism, built into it is a tiny little spring that is completely compressed at the slightest pressure from the flyweight shaft. That leaves the main governor springs which only work at higher RPM for the fuel cutoff. When you start the car there is a puff of smoke, it comes from the full fuel setting then goes away as soon as the flyweights compress the little spring.

If I'm wrong somebody tell me. :P
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #5June 28, 2008, 03:32:09 pm

zukgod1

• Veteran

Well I screw somthing up
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 03:32:09 pm »
took it apart and reinstalled the weights, reinstalled the pump and runs fine.

I think I'm about done messing around for a while.. I'm tired.
dan