Author Topic: TurboDiesel CSR Ideas (Pics)  (Read 6824 times)

May 27, 2004, 10:12:07 am

VWRacer

• Veteran

TurboDiesel CSR Ideas (Pics)
« on: May 27, 2004, 10:12:07 am »
I was engineering at Laguna Seca for a local racer last weekend and happened to see this Ralt RT4 outfitted with an Audi 1.8 Turbo (with about 300 dyno-proved hp). Since the back of my CSR is very similar in layout to this car, I'll probably go with a similar setup.

Here's a close-up of the turbo installation.

Here is an overall view.

The compressor outlet runs up to this intercooler then back to the intake side (the 1.8T is a crossflow engine). There is an opening at the front of the sidepod to admit the air for cooling.

Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #1May 27, 2004, 01:14:40 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 01:14:40 pm »
Nice pics!  Thanks for posting that...  What do you think is the deal with the big exhaust megaphone - do you think that helps with power?

That is a nice and simple turbo air intake setup too.

Noticed the little air inlet duct for the rear brakes.  Wow - it looks like a really well-engineered machine.

By the way stan, I saw a C sports racer body for sale and thought of you.  You aren't looking for one are you?  It was in the midwest and was about $1000.  Chances are it's not what you need, but figured might as well ask...  I will track it down again and send you the URL if it sounds interesting to you, just let me know.
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #2May 27, 2004, 01:37:18 pm

Turbo DS

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 01:37:18 pm »
Slick setup.  I also liked the brake cooling inlets... it looks as if the car has CART spec emulation... good stuff!  I wonder what management they are running on the car.

Reply #3May 27, 2004, 01:57:31 pm

VWRacer

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 01:57:31 pm »
Thanks for the offer to help with bodywork, Jake, but the moulds for my bodywork are local to me here in the Bay Area, so I don't need any additional bodywork.

The muffler is a "SilentPower" muffler, made by Pete Weber here in the Bay Area. They feature very low backpressure chambers and good sound attenuation, and are quite popular in SCCA road racing circles. I have 3 of them.

The Ralt RT4 was the first truly modern Formula Atlantic, featuring a composite tub (aluminum and FRP), full tunnels, etc. They are beautifully made, and I have long lusted after them... ;)
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #4May 27, 2004, 01:58:31 pm

VWRacer

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 01:58:31 pm »
Quote from: "Turbo DS"
I wonder what management they are running on the car.

IIRC, Motec.
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #5June 01, 2004, 06:01:32 pm

VWRacer

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2004, 06:01:32 pm »
BTW, it turns out that this guy was DQ'd for exceding the allowable sound level (103 dB). I was talking with the chief of sound tech and he reported that the guy was over the limit as he approached the sound shack! Looking at the sound recordings it appears that his compression wheel's whine was too loud! :shock:  :roll:

On my own Turbo Diesel CSR project for the 25 Hours of Thunderhill I have run into one little snag, though. Over the weekend one of my partners in the project said that he didn't want to drive an open cockpit car in the 25... :(

He ran a Regional sprint race (30 minutes) last November in his Atlantic, just 3 weeks before the 25, and got soaked and frozen in cold rain. And since each year of the 12/25 has been plagued by torrential rain for many hours each time, he now says he doesn't want to put up with that.  He wants to run a closed-top car.
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #6June 01, 2004, 08:11:53 pm

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2004, 08:11:53 pm »
no such thing as a waterproof race suit?, how about cockpit heat?
I repair, maintain and modify VW's and BMW's.
Good work done at affordable rates. Welding and fabricating, too.
Performance Diesel Injection's Super Pump: gotta have one!

Reply #7June 01, 2004, 09:03:48 pm

VWRacer

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2004, 09:03:48 pm »
No, unfortunately there isn't any such thing, Doc. Guys have asked to be allowed to wear motorcycle gear over their fire suits and have been turned down. In any case, several open top cars did complete the 25 last year, though that was with the least rain of any T-hill 12/25.

My wife's suggestion was to design a GTP-style top for the CSR... 8)
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #8June 02, 2004, 01:13:16 am

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2004, 01:13:16 am »
Dang - that sucks.  I hope you can work through it.  I'm rootin' for your project to go through one way or another!
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #9June 03, 2004, 08:22:07 am

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2004, 08:22:07 am »
oh cmon, tell him to suck it up its only rain. will he melt?

i guess we do things a little differently up here... if its warmer than -30C, everything goes!!!!

dammit, i'll come down there and drive the beast.  8)

S-PAutomotive.com