Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Cooling issue? 92 Jetta, 1.9 IDI  (Read 4292 times)

February 06, 2005, 10:07:19 am

Patrick

• Veteran

Cooling issue? 92 Jetta, 1.9 IDI
« on: February 06, 2005, 10:07:19 am »
I bought this car and started driving it last week. The PO installed the 1.9, and the fan was wired so that it ran on low all the time and on high from a switch on the dash. He accomplished this with two wires hooked on either side of the resistor at the fan motor. The fuse was out of the fusebox for the proper feed.  After disconnecting his "fix", I put a fuse in and decided that since there was power to the switch, the switch in the rad probably needed to be replaced. Did that, put the third wire back on the fan motor (plug removed and three spade connectors on the wires) and warmed the car up. It now works as it's supposed to, (I think) but won't come on low until the temp guage is at about 3/4. Two things
1) My 84 parts car has (had) a relay in this circuit under the hood. Am I missing someting here? The wires in the 92 (red/white and red/black) go right from the rad switch to the fan
2) There's a sending unit(two wire) on the upper water outlet on the motor(rad hose) that isn't hooked to anything. Is this thing supposed to be hooked to a relay to make the fan come on sooner? Or does it have something to do with air conditioning that this car doesn't have?