Author Topic: You can't always get what you wan't  (Read 3437 times)

July 24, 2007, 08:24:39 pm

1slowvw

You can't always get what you wan't
« on: July 24, 2007, 08:24:39 pm »
Hey guys, heres what I'v got going on, I have a low millage 1.9TD, AZZ, in for the crank mod, I also have a large front mount intercooler, and a almost rust free mk2 jetta with a supersport cup kit already installed.
I have an autometer boost guage sitting in my bedroom, and will be ordering a EGT guage by the end of the week. Other plans include free flowing ehaust and some cosmetic stuff, but the question that i need answered is, which would be the best turbo for my set up, I am going back to university in the fall, so this is what you would call a budget project, I have a k-14 laying in my shed as well and a garret off a 1.6TD( not sure the type), and I think I know where there is a K-24 that I could get my hands on.  The car is not going to be used almost daily, but if it works well enough I would love to take it to the quarter mile or an autocross event, so I don't want huge amounts of turbo lag but I don't mind some.
So really I'm just looking for some feedback on these 3 turbo's or another common turbo that would work well.
I realize the turbo's have been talked about lots on this site, but it seems that they always end up in talk about VNT's and I simply don't have the cash for a turbo like that.....yet.
All input or feedback will be apreciated, I will be the first to admit my knowledge of diesles is limited, but I have been reading on this site for a couple years and finaly decided to do something fun.

1SlowVW

Reply #1July 24, 2007, 09:36:29 pm

1slowvw

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 09:36:29 pm »
Thats kind of what I'm looking for, I don't mind loosing some off the line power for big boost later on in the rev range. Would a bigger turbo like a K-24 also keep my EGT's down or will they be about the same. I don't really see there being a problem with the EGT's getting out of control with the intercooler i plan on putting it, I'm just currious.

Also how much peak boost can i push (with increased fueling) before i pop a head gasket. I realize boost is just a number and without the fuel it does nothing, but am i right in assuming high somewhere in the 16-19psi range is safe as long as your ehaust gas temps are within reason.

1SlowVW

Reply #2July 24, 2007, 10:10:25 pm

Black Smokin' Diesel

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 10:10:25 pm »
EGTs have a tendency to go down with a bigger turbo because there's more air going IN but also OUT (less backpressure due to the turbine being bigger).

Since you have a metal HG (unlike 1.6 diesels), you can pretty much push the turbo to it's limit and be ok (limit being 25 to 30 psi I think for K24/T3).

19psi is safe (some would say conservative though :P).

Oh and if you need some cash, quite a few people are looking for a K14, you could sell it for good money ;) ;)
91 Passat syncro 1.8T swapped.

Reply #3July 25, 2007, 10:20:06 pm

1slowvw

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 10:20:06 pm »
Well I wen't home today and took a look in my shed and it turns out the garret which i never checked it a T-3 so no need for me to serch much farther. Only problem is the turbine doesn't spin as free as i would like it too, is it possible it will free up with just the oil from the motor running through, or is there something i can do before installing it to free it up?

1SlowVW

Reply #4July 25, 2007, 11:00:57 pm

gnavs

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 11:00:57 pm »

Reply #5July 25, 2007, 11:12:44 pm

Black Smokin' Diesel

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 11:12:44 pm »
Quote from: "1slowvw"
Well I wen't home today and took a look in my shed and it turns out the garret which i never checked it a T-3 so no need for me to serch much farther. Only problem is the turbine doesn't spin as free as i would like it too, is it possible it will free up with just the oil from the motor running through, or is there something i can do before installing it to free it up?

1SlowVW

You could try pouring clean hot oil in the turbo's oil inlet and make it spin. I wouldn't try any solvent (gasoline, brake cleaner) though.
91 Passat syncro 1.8T swapped.

Reply #6July 25, 2007, 11:24:37 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 11:24:37 pm »
i was playing with my turbos today the it was the first time i checked the play in it or how it spun, and its been sitting in my garage for a month or 2 it was pretty tense but quickly got to spining alright, from what i know it leaks though haha,  i think i will just save it as a spare incase me or my dad ever needs a new turbo either one of us could have it rebuilt.  and i have a third t3 i am using for parts, i have the turbine housing hanging on the wall in my room, how cool is that.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #7July 26, 2007, 01:51:05 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 01:51:05 pm »
Sometimes they feel stiff after sitting without oil.
A little Marvel Mystery Oil down the feed line can clear that right up.

Weather this is from  the MM melting away some residual diesel goo,
just a normal  characteristic of the bearings, or something else, I've no idea.
Just something I tried with stuff I had laying around.

Reply #8August 09, 2007, 09:07:39 pm

1slowvw

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 09:07:39 pm »
So I thought I would give you guys a little update. I have preped the engine bay, its primed, and i dropped off my clutch and fly-wheel at my mechanics today so he could bolt my tranny on and set the timming.
I plan on trying the T-3 that I have, even though it has a little more shaft play then I would like.
That being said i wondered if anyone here had used "soft" oil lines to run to the turbo, wether they be steel braded lines, or hydrolic hose with the proper fittings crimped to the end ? I'm sure someone has done it so if i could get a little feedback that would be great.

1SlowVW

Reply #9August 10, 2007, 06:29:49 am

nogama3

• Junior

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 06:29:49 am »
pop some pics up of the project buddy

S-PAutomotive.com