Author Topic: 1.6 TD Questions  (Read 2862 times)

July 19, 2007, 06:07:21 pm

CoriolisSTORM

1.6 TD Questions
« on: July 19, 2007, 06:07:21 pm »
Alright gents, still at it with trying to make an engine decision with my Opel.  I have some questions regarding the 1.6 TD engines.  What am I looking at cost wise for a used 1.6 TD?  What's the cost of a rebuild?  Can it be rebuilt by myself?  (I've helped rebuild a gasonline Ford tractor motor, nothing more automotive wise, but some component pumps at work, mostly replacing seals and such)  Pump, can it be rebuilt at home?  Power wise, can it be made to perform at a level close to the 1.9 TDI PD?  (100 HP or so?)  How hard are they to find in the US in decent condition?  (Seems to be a consensus in some threads that they are more common in Canada)  I'd like to just get an adapter made to mount it to the Opel transmission, think that could be done?  Also, what would I be looking at MPG wise with a 4 speed?  (I'm looking for gear ratios for the rear end and tranny now) its a torque tube rear end, so it makes replacing the transmission with anything other than another Opel one difficult.    Sorry for the many questions, I'm ready to get some work done on this thing.

Engineered to move the human spirit ~Mercedes Benz

Reply #1July 19, 2007, 06:12:46 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
1.6 TD Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 06:12:46 pm »
Where do you live? It greatly effects the cost
Tyler

Reply #2July 19, 2007, 06:25:59 pm

CoriolisSTORM

1.6 TD Questions
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 06:25:59 pm »
Alabama, Tuscaloosa/B'ham area.
edit:  'nother question, Is there any model I should specifically look for?  Stay away from?  Also, I've found a "distributor" for VW engines for a Suzuki conversion site about 40 miles away, think I could source a decent low cost engine from them?  How would I go about checking whether a junk yard TD is any good?
final edit for this post:  Found out the gear ratios and such.  the Manual 4 speed was 1:1 and the automatic 3 speed was as well.  However, the rear axle is 3.43:1.  What would we be looking at RPM wise?
Engineered to move the human spirit ~Mercedes Benz