Author Topic: '84 Rabbit 2 door sunroof car in CT  (Read 4287 times)

July 08, 2007, 09:02:38 am

busguy71

• User+

'84 Rabbit 2 door sunroof car in CT
« on: July 08, 2007, 09:02:38 am »
I bought this rabbit to use for work a few months ago, but my job requires me to travel 9 hours/day now so I had to buy a newer vehicle. Heres the info on the car:

1984 VW rabbit 1.6 diesel non-turbo sunroof car. The motor starts and runs perfectly. I just put a new head gasket, timing belt, belt tensioner, along with new intake, exhaust, and valve cover gaskets. While the head was off I cleaned the carbon off the pistons and the top end is in very good, clean condition. new neg. battery cable. New air filter, fresh oil change.

I replaced the rack&pinion and it turns very smoothly. Has Scirroco wheels that have been sand blasted and look like new. Newly re-packed cv joints with like-new condition boots, has the very desirable "4A" tall ratio 4-speed tranny, which just got a fluid change. It will cruise at 75mph. Shifts fine. I have a summit oil pressure gauge hooked up, comes with a summit coolant temp gauge that is not hooked up.

The body is 98% rust free. Doors have no rust. There is one small hole in the lower body which can be easily patched. I am very surprised at how solid this car is. Some dents, but very little rust. Original sunroof works great!

Interior is ok, I'd say fair condition. Not blatantly crappy but not great either. Paint is good in spots, fair in others.

I've run a heated veggie oil system on a similar car in the past and it worked out very well! This would be the perfect candidate for a WVO or biodiesel conversion!!!

The one thing this car needs is electrical work. Sometimes the battery goes dead, so there must be a short in it somewhere. Glow plugs are not hooked up, I jump them with jumper cables in the morning and it starts with out them after that all day. Needs a signal light relay. Had problems with the tail lights (just the ones that come on with the headlights) so I wired them to come on with the ignition. Brake lights are not affected. Comes with an extra fuse box and wiring harness from a gas car, as well as many many many extra parts. Two rust free doors from another 2-door, rear hatch, extra dash, bumpers, front and rear suspension parts, I got a donor car for free and most of the parts from it will go with this car. Comes with a set of gold ronal wheels!

I am very torn whether I should sell it or not, but I dont see myself putting it to good use. I have two other antique VW's and I have to draw the line somewhere... someone give it a good home!

Reply #1July 08, 2007, 07:06:00 pm

scopefrfd

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 07:06:00 pm »
what are you asking for the rabbit??

Reply #2July 09, 2007, 12:10:02 am

busguy71

• User+

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 12:10:02 am »
sorry,