Author Topic: the hillfolk tdi-m returns,but i need some turbo help  (Read 29872 times)

Reply #60July 16, 2007, 09:38:35 pm

therabbittree

• Veteran

the hillfolk tdi-m returns,but i need some turbo help
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2007, 09:38:35 pm »
damn.. ha.. i still have to do my dumping western flat bed on my dodge and do the southbend clutch and the nv4500, and a twin stick and doubler, and p7100 conversion,and and and.. haha never ending.. then the fox wagon convert into fox pickup with quantum syncro driveline ..hehe

Reply #61July 16, 2007, 09:46:00 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2007, 09:46:00 pm »
The Fox "Synchro" sounds like fun!

I actually hit the jackpot this weekend... a FREE 1z TDI longblock that I had been trying to get for the last year almost up from GA from someone that I have made friends with. My brother from FL was on the way up for our wedding here later in the month and was able to stop and pick it up. Not a bad deal at all for FREE!!!
It'll be the motor for the B3...needs rebuilt, so this winter has quite the lineup! 02a CTN conversion for the mTDI MK1, paint and bodywork for the same car...and building this motor along side for swap into the car next spring!
Aren't projects fun?

Glad to hear the mercedes turbo is working out well for you. Dave, I don't remember you mentioning having used any merc turbos on a mTDI, TDI or the IDI's in the last few years. I remember you asking me about it when I mentioned putting it on the mTDI in the original build thread...was interested in what you were running them on.
Its a nice unit...and is quite the "budget" turbo. One may find its way onto the b3 mTDI setup...but I don't know...may go with the standard t3 IDI unit since I'm going for power/reliability and MPG on that particular build...

Joe
1979 Rabbit mTDI crazy $*(\%& bunny...
1972 VW Westfalia
2009 VW Tiguan SE 2.0T (Wife's car)
2001 Audi TT 225 Quattro Roadster (something newer :) )

Reply #62July 16, 2007, 09:52:04 pm

935racer

« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2007, 09:52:04 pm »
Joe, haven't ever tried the merc turbo on a mech tdi I don't think, but tons of IDI's! When I was still working for MB a few years back I grabbed a bunch of them. Mostly I've put them on high revving 1.6's. Speaking of the devil actually I am uninstalling a merc turbo I put on a vanagon a couple years ago now in favor of a stock t3 (on a 1.9 IDI) for the smaller turbine side so his spool up is a bit better for hill starting :)

Reply #63July 16, 2007, 10:22:28 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2007, 10:22:28 pm »
Sounds good :)
What are you doing with the one your removing...i've been trying to source a good used unit, or a core to rebuild for the other project...

(not as to get this thread off topic) :)

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #64July 16, 2007, 10:53:41 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2007, 10:53:41 pm »
grrr.......... :cry:
i ordered some silicone hoses from hose techniques for the turbo plumbing
since i ordered them last night,sunday that is (the place is in ca)
and they "should " ship today (monday)
i figured that its normally 5 days to recieve them,so i sent them  ups ground
i could have shipped them 3 day express for 20$$
but being the cheap bastardo that i am, i saved 8 dollars letting them go ground
i just got a shipping confirmation from them,and ill recieve them JULY 23!!!!
grrrrr...kinda like,not in time for waterfest :cry:  :cry:  :cry:
ill haveta run the rad hose ugly contraption i got rigged up
oh well hey look at me,i saved  8 dollars
i gotta stop bein cheap ,it keeps biting me in the heiny :roll:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #65July 16, 2007, 11:00:22 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2007, 11:00:22 pm »
Quote from: "935racer"
So Blake how are you liking the merc turbo? Pretty sure I tried tellin you about that one a while back, I've been using them for a couple years and they can't be beat for a budget turbo upgrade. :P

How does it pull with the higher boost pressures compare to the holset?

it seems pretty good,,,part throttle at 2000 i still get like 5 psi....and it pours on strong by the mid 2's(2500 or so,not much "worse" than "stock")
but i increased my line size to my water injection,and now it injects too much water
i used to hold it on in between shifts,and if i do that now,or inject too early,it puts out the flame+sputters,,so i gotta  try a restrictor.....if i pulse it quickly,,it goes like a beastie(thumbup,sorta) :wink:
 the merc turbo feels about the same,at 22ish  psi,as the old garrett  did at closed wastegate(40+psi),,and the egt is around 1300ish or so at the most,i think(that ive seen so far)
its hard to read the guages,if you take your eye off the road to read them for a second,you get in trouble,cause you are flyin

Quote from: "therabbittree"
damn.. ha.. i still have to do my dumping western flat bed on my dodge and do the southbend clutch and the nv4500, and a twin stick and doubler, and p7100 conversion,and and and.. haha never ending.. then the fox wagon convert into fox pickup with quantum syncro driveline ..hehe

yea dude the wagon is gonna be bad to the bone 4 sure,im diggin that idea

ewwwwww,i hit some road kill on the way home from yer place tonite,,and the guts wrapped all around my rubber fuel lines(you know that rigged  cis pump setup)
i knew i smelled somethin funny as i pulled it in the hangar(thats when i looked+saw it ,i almost youked)

i tried sprayin it off with a hose,no luck,,so i drove around in the 4 ft high weeds in that lot next to my dads plot,,suprisingly it took some backing up too to get the tangled intestines off the fuel lines
i then washed it off with a hose,,i was almost puking,it stunk sooooo bad
figures man,,,,we gotta run hard lines to replace those hoses this week too
oh it was so nasty
i hope no one reads this during breakfast :roll:
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #66July 17, 2007, 07:59:36 am

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2007, 07:59:36 am »
ha .. just use a rubber glove.. haha.. you got to help dress a deer with me and you'll get over smelly nasty things and smells ha.. or come to work when i inspect some of the transfer stations in the summer heat ha..or the RENDERING trucks..hehehe carcasses and meat scraps used to make perfume and soap..they are pretty raunchy....
 now back to the car stuff. .fdo any of my silcone hoses i lent you fit ? use them i imagine no otherwise you'd be doing that.. lket me know..oh and snag those drums ..later
Deo

Reply #67July 17, 2007, 11:32:08 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2007, 11:32:08 pm »
dead things dont bother me too much,its 3 or 4 day old  dead things that get me.....
as far as smelly things,ill haveta take  you to a wastewater treatment plant to service a generator
as soon as you pull in the place you think:" man who crapped their pants??"
oh it was the whole town

and i wont go into the condoms in the water intakes,lol

:roll:

ill probably swing by tomorrow to swipe the drums from the ol' pickup
heres a pic  of the old truck yall

Throttle cables ftw

Reply #68July 19, 2007, 10:37:27 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2007, 10:37:27 pm »
got the brakes straightened out,,they work great!!
big rear drums with manual brakes,,nice....
restricted the water injection down some by soldering a few holes shut in the "injector"....now its a runner
of course ,now somethin else had to act up :cry:
yea,the  stupid battery light is flickering at me

hey deo..got any 55 or 65 amp alternators layin around that i can steal some brushes from???
i bet thats whats wrong with it,and i bet i cant get them locally tomorrow

actually i just thought of it
maybe i can de-solder a set from my old jetta (65) alternator,and resolder them to my 55 amp holder,and i think i got  another 65 amp,or 90 amp layin around i could swipe them from ,i think i even got an extra brush holder/reg assy from a 65 amp i could steal them from (i dont wanna adapt somethin in like another 65,or 90 ,i dont have time)

oh i was also thinkin..... maybe those idiots could dyno my car if i bring my
diesel timing pulse adapter
 :?:
finishing the fuel lines/pump/regulator  assy tomorrow to aircraft/an fittings+hard line :wink:
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #69July 20, 2007, 07:05:33 am

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2007, 07:05:33 am »
f those 55 ans65 put 90 in it ..i have 90 in may basement..you can havbe it..plus i have afew others..we'll get it running good..
Later
deo

Reply #70July 23, 2007, 10:09:28 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2007, 10:09:28 pm »
I was car 582.....
of course thanks to a shot gearbox,i did miss a gear(2nd) on a few runs
during eliminations,i ran a 14.505 on a 14.50 dial in
then next run i broke out on a 14.37(best run though),and was eliminated
the 16 second run was where i fed too much water injection to it off the line+it died out bad like 20 feet outta the hole,thats how you run a 16 second run@ 98 mph

i was putting a killing on that tree with great r.t.'s(for the most part)

im impressed with the trap speeds ,,99.22 best mph....soo close to the magic 100 mph mark!!!

its got such a top end rush,,it wants to keep pulling past 4500,and comes on strong as low as 2400,although at part throttle ive seen good boost as low as 2000 rpms

VICTORY WAS BITTERSWEET THOUGH....
on the ride home,im idling thru a tollbooth in durtyjursy,and it quit
so i rolled to the side+popped the hood
guess what?? it whipped the timing belt
the tensioner stud backed out of the head+got all stripped out and crap
but being the hillfolk i am,i figured id see if i had bent valves(which i had a feeling i did
so with sticks+rocks(i had tools,sorta)
i  timed it good enough to run it
it ran,i was amazed
but sounded like a old subaru,,
so its parked for a few months till i can accumulate $$$ to redo the cyl head,or get a new one
i gotta check out the pistons+see if i need to replace them,and possibly the rod bearings too :oops:
so im down,but  not out yet
i know this bad boy has at least a few more mph in it
heck,my struts are so shot+the front end lifts so bad+back end squats off the line
just changing them would help et's and mph too
99mph "should" be 13 second territory
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #71July 23, 2007, 11:55:56 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2007, 11:55:56 pm »
nm um haha.  my jetta was like that i lost alot of power through the suspension.  the front end on my jetta would really pick up once that turbo got going
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #72July 24, 2007, 01:33:46 am

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2007, 01:33:46 am »
lol...sounds familar here too... have the bilsteins in the front on the mTDI in my case...just haven't gotten my rears setup yet...normally, bilstein sports all around on GC coilovers/Eibach ERS springs...
Its funny, 15x7's, and the front of the car REALLY stays planted...you can really tell how the difference in ET's would be.
However...take off in the car...since the rears are on yet... BOINK, plants the rear end and will actually rub in the 'wells. :(

Sorry to hear about the motor, I'm sure it'll be back on the road here soon!

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #73July 24, 2007, 03:29:13 pm

punkvideo81

• Junior

« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2007, 03:29:13 pm »
Hey man, sorry to hear about the engine troubles. At least you were able to limp home! Did rabbit tree race, too?
'81 Caddy 1.6 TD

Reply #74July 24, 2007, 03:30:14 pm

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2007, 03:30:14 pm »
man I talked to ya on the phone since.. i didn't hear about the t belt till now?.. mommn whats up wit that?.. ha. .I think you have to go tueb abnd carbon fiber.. go real light get soem lexan windows.. gu tth edoors out toss the rear beam etc it light say 1200 lbs ..soem kinny rear tires and some slicks for the front..etcetc..Tons of things to mess with to get low times outta it.. oh i just finishe dth e220v and th eair compressor install so the garage is set now. .need to rearange it and clean it but  the tig should be buzzing soon hehe..
Later
Deo

S-PAutomotive.com