Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Passenger's area with no heat ina Jetta Wagon 2005 TDI  (Read 4475 times)

January 19, 2005, 01:11:26 pm

webstuff5

Passenger's area with no heat ina Jetta Wagon 2005 TDI
« on: January 19, 2005, 01:11:26 pm »
Car specs: Dark blue Jetta Wagon 2005 TDI with Tectronic transmission.

My Wagon (tectronic in automatic mode) takes 20.7km to heat up, at -15. For the same distance, with another Jetta TDI 2004 (plain manual), it takes 13.4 km to reach 90 celcius(C).

I was told by a VW advisor, Hull QC Cda, that I should run the car, in tectronic manual mode, and change the gear at 3500 RPM, until I reach 90 C. Doing so, it takes 8.2 km to get at 90 C, with the fan at level 1, I would get some heat in the passenger area. Only when the ideal temperature is reached, I may change to tectronic automatic. (As a note, the tectronic automatic is shifting at +/- 2400 RPM.)

I don't think this recommendation is the right way because it causes a stress on the engine and the transmission... I am not an engineer but it just makes no mechanical engineering sense here...

Apparently, about 10 same vehicules, have ran in the same problem... If I make some estimate, if the dealer sales 1 car/week, and we are in Jan. 2005, it means they would have sold +/- 15 cars... it may be realistic to almost say that 65% of them went in for the same problem.

As of today, the car went it twice for this issue, before Christmas and now, ... I have requested to install the dealer cooler heather to improve the situation for a cost of 329$. I should receive it sometimes this PM.

As anyone ran in this problem? :?  :shock:

Reply #1January 19, 2005, 01:30:59 pm

RedRotors

• Veteran

• http://www.mikrotuning.com
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 01:30:59 pm »
Sorry Webs, i goofed with a command and i deleted your post..

Marc/
2k1 Golf TDI, 11mm pump, HFLOX Warp 5, VNT17, Wavetrac, 4" Lift
91' VW Golf Country
94' Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, Cummins, 5 spds, 191's, 215hp injectors, SB Clutch
03' Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, Cummins, 6 spds, MBPR 4 ", custom intake, Smarty Jr

-> www.mikrotuning.com <-
-> www.hflox.com <-

Reply #2January 19, 2005, 03:38:10 pm

MayorDJQ

• User+

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 03:38:10 pm »
This is pretty common for TDI's, auto or manual.

I wouldn't run the engine up to 3500 RPM before it's at least 1/2 to 2/3 warmed up.  Not only is it harsh on a cold engine, but you're also killing your fuel mileage.

I'll run my '01 at about 2500 in 3rd gear for the length of my road (2 miles), and then in 4th at 2200-2500 for a few more miles.  I leave the fan on 1 with the recirc button on.

What type of heater is the dealer installing?  The coolant heater will help, but once you get moving the engine may cool off some, before warming up again.

Some poeple partially block the radiator/grill to help in cold weather, but you have to be alert of the temperature guage.

Reply #3January 25, 2005, 06:59:26 am

aikejon

Re: Passenger's area with no heat ina Jetta Wagon 2005 TDI
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 06:59:26 am »
Quote from: "webstuff5"
Car specs: Dark blue Jetta Wagon 2005 TDI with Tectronic transmission.

My Wagon (tectronic in automatic mode) takes 20.7km to heat up, at -15. For the same distance, with another Jetta TDI 2004 (plain manual), it takes 13.4 km to reach 90 celcius(C).

I was told by a VW advisor, Hull QC Cda, that I should run the car, in tectronic manual mode, and change the gear at 3500 RPM, until I reach 90 C. Doing so, it takes 8.2 km to get at 90 C, with the fan at level 1, I would get some heat in the passenger area. Only when the ideal temperature is reached, I may change to tectronic automatic. (As a note, the tectronic automatic is shifting at +/- 2400 RPM.)

I don't think this recommendation is the right way because it causes a stress on the engine and the transmission... I am not an engineer but it just makes no mechanical engineering sense here...

Apparently, about 10 same vehicules, have ran in the same problem... If I make some estimate, if the dealer sales 1 car/week, and we are in Jan. 2005, it means they would have sold +/- 15 cars... it may be realistic to almost say that 65% of them went in for the same problem.

As of today, the car went it twice for this issue, before Christmas and now, ... I have requested to install the dealer cooler heather to improve the situation for a cost of 329$. I should receive it sometimes this PM.

As anyone ran in this problem? :?  :shock:

I do, but when it goes below -30 I don't set my fan to any setting above "2"...then it warms up nicely, within 10-15 km ('03 golf tdi).  If I go to a higher fan setting then the temp stays cooler than 90.  

However, a work friend who has a jetta tdi sport has taken hers into the dealer (she wasn't satisfied with my suggestions), who told her that they were getting dozens of calls every cold day.  I used to partially block the grill on my old suv, and it worked fine (most of the air intake went through the lower grills anyway).

Reply #4January 25, 2005, 06:52:14 pm

srivett

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 06:52:14 pm »
With my 92 1.6 I use one gear lower during the winter than I would during the summer.  This keeps things warm enough to use the low fan setting in traffic where you do a lot of decellerating.  If I'm on the highway it takes about 5 minutes to get heat in 5th gear so I don't have to do anything.  

I've also got some cardboard on the rad, or I used to a month ago, I haven't checked to see if it is still there.  There is a metal band in the middle of my rad that I tucked the cardboard behind.  

You are plugging your car in right?  That will speed things up a bit but the most important thing is to keep your foot on the accelerator at all times.  I can just imagine people in the Lupo freezing to death, it turns the engine off when you have your foot on the brake for 5 seconds! hehe

Steve
1992 1.6D Golf - 412K km
Mint except for chipped paint, no rust :)

Reply #5February 16, 2005, 10:47:02 am

aikejon

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 10:47:02 am »
Quote from: "srivett"
You are plugging your car in right?  
Steve

VW doesn't make block heaters for mk4 TDIs

Fixmyvw.com