Author Topic: URGENT HELP NEEDED - Rear Wheel bearing stuck  (Read 3101 times)

January 18, 2005, 06:45:53 pm

Mikeyworks

• Veteran

• http://www28.brinkster.com/mikeyworks/
URGENT HELP NEEDED - Rear Wheel bearing stuck
« on: January 18, 2005, 06:45:53 pm »
I heard a sound coming from the passenger's rear wheel yesterday. Today I pulled the wheel and found the outter wheel bearing has virtually self distructed. Some of the bearing cylinders seem to be gone and there is something stuck in the keyway so the bearing will not come out.
I need to find out how to get the bearing off the spindle.

The brake drum is in the way (still on) and I can't get a puller in there to pull on the bearing. It feels like it's almost welded to the spindle.

What options do I have to get the bearing out.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!

Reply #1January 18, 2005, 07:20:54 pm

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 07:20:54 pm »
You can still get the axle bolt and washer off, correct?  Try tapping the drum with a large heavy object, like a sledge.  Dont wail on it!  Hit the center "hat" a few times from a few different angles, then tap the outer sides, and it might dislodge itself.  Or, you can pick up one of those cheap pullers that are nothing more than a plate with slotted holes, and bolts.  It would be a long shot if the bolts supplied with the puller would thread into the drums.  If that doesnt work, leave the axle nut and stuff off, but bolt the wheel back on to the drum.  Make sure you have the car properly secured on a jackstand.  Now, kick the backside of the wheel/tire until it comes off.  You can even try swinging said sledge against the backside of the tire (but dont hit the rim!) until it comes off.  The added size and weight of the wheel/tire can give you enough leverage to yank it off, and turn it a few times if you need to.  This is what I had to do with the Rocco.

Good luck and be careful!

Brendan
84 Scirocco 8v
00 Camaro L36 M49
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #2January 18, 2005, 10:46:35 pm

Mikeyworks

• Veteran

• http://www28.brinkster.com/mikeyworks/
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 10:46:35 pm »
Brendan,

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try them tomorrow night.

I am also going to have the gas ready to heat up the old bearing in hopes that it will loosen from the spindle. It is my thought that the condition of the bearing means that the spindle is probably messed up a bit. I am going to order another spindle to have ready in case that one is marred.

Mikey

Fixmyvw.com