Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: engine dont start up  (Read 3320 times)

June 16, 2007, 11:39:53 am

Benjamin

• Veteran

engine dont start up
« on: June 16, 2007, 11:39:53 am »
I finaly found the solution for my problem, so, i just wanna discuss, or just let you know this problem is possible with custom vnt turboengine's.

My previous engine wich had pitting problems is tooked out,
i build everything including the big pump over to a new engine.
but it will not start up...
i start checking my marks are right from the distrubition, everything looks good so becouse i wasnt very shore and the car wont start i putted the distrubition on the pumppulley one teeth wrong, after trying several things and getting crazy etc
i check the timing with the tool-gauge, but it looks to be ok.

finely the last thing i did, wich was also the problem,
my vnt turbo, the vanes are closed, i open them with putting pressure from a external compressor on it, and tried to start up my new engine again, no problem, engine starts, i wish i had this knowledge a month back...
the vanes can be closed to much, i realy think the vanes arent touching the blades from the exhaustwheel.  :?:  :?:

anyone else had this problem with a custom vnt install?

Greetz, Benjamin

SMOG alert, engine running again!
Must make +250hp

Reply #1June 16, 2007, 06:32:44 pm

jimfoo

• Veteran

• http://www.66rover.com
engine dont start up
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 06:32:44 pm »
No, mine will start with the vanes closed. There is a setscrew on my turbo to act as a stop to keep the vanes from closing too much. Mine normally has the vanes open, but I have a cable to manually close them.
Jim
1966 Land-Rover 88" with 1.9 1Z which has been transformed to an M-TDI
TFO35 mechanically controlled VNT, IC , and 2.5" exhaust.
Driven daily

Reply #2June 16, 2007, 08:05:28 pm

Benjamin

• Veteran

engine dont start up
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 08:05:28 pm »
Quote from: "jimfoo"
No, mine will start with the vanes closed. There is a setscrew on my turbo to act as a stop to keep the vanes from closing too much. Mine normally has the vanes open, but I have a cable to manually close them.

treu, there is a bolt do have that, but becouse i reclocked it this setting can be changed a little bit.

Greetz, Benjamin
SMOG alert, engine running again!
Must make +250hp