Author Topic: coolant issue!  (Read 4536 times)

January 16, 2005, 04:59:41 pm

Cman

coolant issue!
« on: January 16, 2005, 04:59:41 pm »
Ok my car leaks coolant from the rad cap (1994 1.9TD) ,, I replaced the cap and it still leaks but it only seems to leak when I really put my foot in to the throttle!..

Is it possible that under heavy load, that the combustion gasses are leaking in to the coolant jacket and thus "pressureizing" the cooling system causing the cap to relieve?

The coolant doesnt look dirty but I dont know what I'm looking for..

Any help would be appreciated

Reply #1January 16, 2005, 08:38:29 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

coolant issue!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 08:38:29 pm »
Is it possible that under heavy load, that the combustion gasses are leaking in to the coolant jacket and thus "pressureizing" the cooling system causing the cap to relieve?

Textbook head gasket failure. Early AAZ engines still used a composition type head gasket like the 1.6TD. These aren't the most reliable, especially on a high mileage motor. Replace it with the new steel shim type gasket and new bolts and your problems should be permanently solved

Reply #2February 06, 2005, 12:18:28 am

river_clan

• http://www.riverclan.org
Head Gasket for 1.6td
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 12:18:28 am »
Can one safely use a metal 1.9 head gasket on a 1.6td (1991 hydraulic)

Thanks!

Ri
Subverting the dominant paradigm. One tank at a time.

1986 1.6TD powered Samurai
2003 TDI New Beetle
- Both running 100% biodiesel!

Reply #3February 25, 2005, 01:03:17 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
Re: Head Gasket for 1.6td
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 01:03:17 pm »
Quote from: "river_clan"
Can one safely use a metal 1.9 head gasket on a 1.6td (1991 hydraulic)

Thanks!

Ri

Yes you can... the piston bores of the metal head gasket are a little bit bigger to accomodate the increased bore of a 1.9l, but it works.  I have successfully ran a modified metal head gasket on a solid-lifter 1.6lTD, and it should fit to a hydraulic lifter 1.6l without modification.  The compression ratio with the metal head gasket will just be slightly reduced becuse of the extra dead space around the combustion chamber (although this area may just become filled up with carbon after some use.)

Be sure to check the head gasket thickness and/or piston projection requirement specifications of the 1.9lTD metal head gasket vs the 1.6l, because I don't believe that a 1-notch 1.6lTD head gasket is equal thickness to a 1-hole 1.9lTD metal head gasket.  (IIRC, it is more like a 1-notch 1.6lTD head gasket = 3 hole metal head gasket, but that's my fuzzy memory - be sure to check the specs for both types of engines to be sure.)
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #4March 02, 2005, 01:01:43 am

chrissev

• Veteran

Re: coolant issue!
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 01:01:43 am »
Quote from: "Cman"
Ok my car leaks coolant from the rad cap (1994 1.9TD) ,, I replaced the cap and it still leaks but it only seems to leak when I really put my foot in to the throttle!..

The coolant doesnt look dirty but I dont know what I'm looking for..

Any help would be appreciated

b4 you take the head off, remove the water pump and look at the impeller.  If it is moved out from the pump body, that is your problem.  Improper coolant circulation.
88 Jetta TD....sold for $1000, bought an 06 Cobalt, clearing out the diesel jetta stuff now