Author Topic: 1.6L TD / 1.9L TD Boost pin  (Read 2825 times)

January 06, 2005, 03:47:25 pm

DieselMonkey

• Junior

1.6L TD / 1.9L TD Boost pin
« on: January 06, 2005, 03:47:25 pm »
Guys,

My pump is now being rebuilt by my fuel guy, i asked about installing the 1.6L boost pin and he said he would rather everyone just stuck to the original factory 'numbers' and didnt tinker with this sort of thing. But i know that from the experience of guys on here, it seems to be acceptable to fit the pin, esp. with greater boost and intercooling.  :)

I have compared the 2 pins as i have a 1.6L pump on a 1.9TD, but just cant figure the reasoning behind it or how it works. The 1.6 pin is turned off centre also, and at the top, its sitting in a gear type arrangment.  :?

When i get the pump back i am keen to make the change now as part of the conversion on the 1.9D, as opposed to taking it apart later (would rather do everything at once).

What are my options ? Will i look for a 1.6L boost pin?  Will i make one from tool steel and harden it ? Will i modify my original pin (possibly too hard to turn) ? if i make one, is it vital to have it off centre like that ?

How does the design of the 1.6L pin work ? being turned off centre like that, and as its sitting in a gear, does this stop it moving when the lid is tight, but with the lid off.. can be lifted and adjusted to match the boost etc ... ?

As much info as possible would be appreciated, i'm really not up to speed on this boost enrichment issue.

Thanks again, DM

Reply #1January 07, 2005, 08:44:43 am

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

1.6L TD / 1.9L TD Boost pin
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 08:44:43 am »
i'd say put it together as is and drive it a while. then plunk in a 1.6L pin (it's easy!) and play with it. Start with the mildest setting (washer dimple at 3 o'clock) and go from there. Colour the taper with a black magic marker and after a day's worth of driving pull it out an view the little scratch mark. You'll likely see it's only using half the pin's total taper. start thinning out the plastic downstop washer, and back off the upstop screw to maximize travel. To get full travel, you may have to grind some material off the underside of the aneroid cover. Make sure you don't go too far up or down to avoid binding the little finger that rides on the taper.
I repair, maintain and modify VW's and BMW's.
Good work done at affordable rates. Welding and fabricating, too.
Performance Diesel Injection's Super Pump: gotta have one!